Driving Back to the UK??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by iznalloz Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Hi all Eyeonspain members,

Is there anybody out there driving back to the UK who would like to share travelling costs??  I am man with small dog (Jack Russell) needing to hitch a lift back as soon as possible - I own a Spanish car myself and after reading information on DVLA website realise I'm not allowed to drive it back to the UK........Doh!!

Like 0      
22 Nov 2009 8:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Why on earth could you not drive your car to the UK? Is it road legal in Spain? Do you have insurance? You need to go back and read the DVLA information again.

More importantly, is your dog fully prepared to travel? He needs his passport and all vaccinations up to date. Full details available from DEFRA's website.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Nov 2009 8:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

(repeated post)

This message was last edited by Roberto on 22/11/2009.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Nov 2009 11:57 PM by Jontymellor Star rating in Warrington & Cabo R.... 144 posts Send private message

My brother has re-reg'ed his UK car in spain but he still is able to drive it back through any EU country, he pays all his Spanish taxes and is legal to drive back through France & Spain, you will have more to do making sure the dog is legal to get back in the UK

Like 0      
23 Nov 2009 12:21 PM by iznalloz Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto,

Have definitely read the DVLA site properly, if you go to their page regarding importing a vehicle and scroll down the page it states quite clearly if you are a UK resident you are not allowed to drive a foreign plated car in the UK under any circumstances and the authorities actually have the rights to confiscate and crush the car the same as can be done to English cars if no car tax is displayed.....Inglaterra tiene vida muy complicada......

Like 0      
23 Nov 2009 1:18 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Iznalloz, are you resident in Spain?  If you are, then there appears to be no problem.

Like 0      
23 Nov 2009 2:03 PM by iznalloz Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

No, not a Spanish resident, so therefore am unable to drive a foreign plated car in the UK...

Like 0      
23 Nov 2009 7:39 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I apologise, I wrongly assumed you were resident in Spain. I understand the dilemna now - a typical bit of EU bureaucratic idiocy.

Are you intending to import & register the car in the UK? If so, I suggest you speak to your insurance company. They may be able to advise you on how to get around this problem and possibly issue temporary insurance so you can drive it home from the port of entry, pending registration.

If it's only a temporary visit, then as long as the car is properly taxed and registered in Spain and you have insurance cover to drive in the UK, if anyone asks, you're resident in Spain. Not that anyone is likely to ask. I've taken my (Spanish reg) car to the UK before and no one has ever asked me to prove I'm not a UK resident.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 12:52 PM by iznalloz Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Hi again,

Thank you for your input.  I am a totally law abiding citizen and never do anything I'm not legally allowed to do, unfortunately for me were I to try and take a chance with something like this it would be 'sod's law' that I'd be stopped by the British police.  I understand there has been a bit of a clamp down on foreign plated cars being driven by UK residents, in fact I believe I read something on this forum earlier this year, apparently the police force in the UK called it 'Operation Andover.'  Foreign plated cars driven by UK residents were being impounded and either a hefty fine imposed or car to the crusher....not a risk I'm prepared to take.

I  initially started this thread hoping to share costs of a ride back to the UK but so far no response to that part of the thread........

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 1:52 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Iznalloz, where will you be departing from?  It may help you get a response if you mention where you are in Spain.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2009 4:27 PM by buzylizzie Star rating in Gibraltar, Manilva a.... 192 posts Send private message

buzylizzie´s avatar

Check out the "moving to Spain" section - there are a couple of people going back to UK who may be able to help ...

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 11:13 AM by iznalloz Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Many thanks to all, I am based 20 minutes north of Granada - village is called Iznalloz.....

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Land status validation - 4 posts
Congratualtions! - 10 posts
Life insurance is crippling me - 5 posts
5 month let required - 4 posts
dacion en pago - 0 posts
Transfer tax - re-assessment by Junta Andalucia - based on deemed value? - 0 posts
Una pregunta acerca de Espana! - 9 posts
UK TV, Freeview, Freesat, different systems & receivers explained - 0 posts
Satellite updates HD, Top Gear, Freesat - 0 posts
Van going to Spain the 3 of december - 1 posts
Koren wok in Benimar, Rojales, Alicante - 0 posts
What can you do if your apartment is finished but the community areas are in-complete? - 7 posts
Boundary rules - 0 posts
Enforcement of Legal Judgement in The UK - 21 posts
Solicitor/Lawyer fees on conveyancing matters - 3 posts
Removals from Spain back to the uk - 1 posts
cat and dog kennel over xmas - 3 posts
Credit card security breach fear - 1 posts
The Tables Are Turned - 1 posts
Typical Spanish Dish - 3 posts
Credit Card Fraud - SPAIN - 6 posts
implications for not completing - 9 posts
New charges to be introduced for paying by credit card in Spain from January 2010 - 9 posts
Any banks taking on existing mortgages ? - 1 posts
Sauna Wanted - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x