Car Hire Scam?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Sep 2009 12:00 AM by merrylegs Star rating in Switzerland. 50 posts Send private message

merrylegs´s avatar

I have been visiting web sites of car hire firms, and have noticed that most of them refer to "fully comprehensive" insurance, "no extras" etc, and yet when reading the small print it would seem that tyres, wing mirrors, under-carriage etc. are not covered by the insurance, (additional coverage needs to be purchased), so how can the insurance be properly described as "fully comprehensive"?  I feel this is misrepresentation, or is this the norm when hiring a car in the Costa del Sol?  Moreover, one company wanted to add 18.50 Euros to my bill as a processing fee!  Why?  On the surface, this seems to me to be just an excuse to make a fast Buck!

I welcome your comments!

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 3:56 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Whenever we've hired a car we've always paid for an an extra insurance cover to cover the excess in case of an accident or damage.

Even fully comprehensive policies have an excess which you are liable for, so I assume that is what is meant by the small print.  I always thought this was quite normal.

Regarding the processing fee, is that because you are using a credit card and not a debit card?  Certain companies are passing on these charges to the consumer in the same way that the low cost airlines are doing.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 4:06 PM by merrylegs Star rating in Switzerland. 50 posts Send private message

merrylegs´s avatar

Yes, we always take fully comprehensive insurance as opposed to third party, but what seems to be offered by the insurance companies could be considered as third party, but described as fully comprehensive.

Yes, we will be paying with a credit card, but this is the first time that I have encountered a company passing on its expenses to its clients.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Targeta de transporte - 0 posts
Solvency reports - 3 posts
IBI TAX 2009 IN ESTEPONA - 1 posts
Wanted Beach Buggy - 3 posts
spanish taxes - help! - 3 posts
Masa international - 9 posts
Torrevisa - 12 posts
Question about Communities - 1 posts
vacacion in Valencia - 0 posts
Franchising: a good option in Spain - 0 posts
can i get itv and sum on english transit ? - 3 posts
EOS Alcaidesa Family Meeting: Next Saturday the 26th in September. Come! - 6 posts
Online Courses: Watercolour/Acrylics/WC pencils etc - 0 posts
Car storage at San Javier (Murcia) airport - 7 posts
Recovering community fees thread - 18 posts
MahersolHogar - 0 posts
Solar Panels - 1 posts
not sure about tenant - 3 posts
lease - 1 posts
WORK FOR EXPERIENCED MUSICAN - 0 posts
Social security - 1 posts
Looking for a trustworthy couple to look after your second home while abroad? - 0 posts
Am I entitled to free healthcare - 9 posts
New Years Eve - 0 posts
bank guarantees nothing update - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x