Aircraft fleet average age.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Sep 2009 12:00 AM by el romeral Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

Not sure if this has been posted here before or not ?

Anyone guess which of the main UK airlines flying in and out of Spain has the oldest fleet ?

I'd love to say it was Ryanair, but they have the youngest at 2.8 years.

Next in order is Easy Jet 3.4 years, BA 11.5 years, Monarch 11.7 years, BMI Baby 13.8 years and the winner is Jet2 on 21.6 years.

Like 0      
04 Sep 2009 7:12 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

Don't know

but the last one I went on had an outside toilet

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
05 Sep 2009 11:16 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Is there a maximum age limit? With the amount of use these planes get one would hope there is a point at which they are scrapped!

Like 0      
05 Sep 2009 1:12 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

There is no age limit but the airframe has a limited amount of flying hours. Everything on aircraft is done by flying hours, all the maintenance checks, etc. There will come a time when it will need a complete renovation (look at the Vulcan for example) and it is no longer cost effective, at which time it will probably go to the aircraft graveyard in Arizona for recycling!

Mark

Like 0      
05 Sep 2009 1:37 PM by Comanche Star rating in Islas Canarias. 13 posts Send private message

Most of the Jet 2 aircraft belonged to Ansett of Australia, before they went bust.

These aircraft were overhauled completely before joining Jet 2 fleet.

So these aircraft are better than new ones, " ever bought a new car that doesnt work correctly".

C

Like 0      
05 Sep 2012 1:44 AM by charlie001 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello and Aer Lingus and irish Airline who have 2 UK bases Belfast and Gatwick with Dublin, Cork, Shannon etc is average at 6 years, flew from Malaga to Cork today on St Colman an A320 they acuired last year and painted it in the old livery, such a beauitful aircraft to fly on and it looks amazing :) 

Aer Lingus fly the biggest bird into Malaga from Dublin in the Summer months an A330.

Like 0      
28 Oct 2012 7:22 PM by llegaralasestrellas Star rating in United Kingdom (BHX .... 58 posts Send private message

llegaralasestrellas´s avatar

Monarch's average aircraft age is somewhat misleading, as they have quite a few VERY old (20-25 year) aircraft, and some newer ones, whereas Ryanair and Easyjet etc. tend to have fleets of more or less the same generation. Monarch are one of the very few passenger airlines in Europe to still have A300s and B757s in service. Monarch also wet lease and charter a aircraft from Eastern europe to fill on for certain flights. This ins't that un-usual but Monarch do it more than most, and do it for much shorter charters, not bothering to use their own cabin crew.

I think the move to running sheduled services has overstretched them. Charter airlines can get away with a much smaller fleet, and have a much simpler revenue pattern, and I get hte impression MOnarch didn't fully apprefciate just how different a sheduled operation is, paticularly on the highly competetive routes (i.e. UK - Mediterranean) where they operate.

Like 0      
28 Oct 2012 7:52 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

Llegar,

To.the.best.of.my.knowledge.Monarch.have.suspended.the.use.of.Aurela.airlines.following.the.landing.on.the.21st.September.-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-19676990

so.those.two.old.planes.should.be.out.of.service.

(Apologies.for.my.odd.text.-.my.space.bar.is.broken!)

Like 0      
28 Oct 2012 8:23 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

quote... llegaralasestrellas... I think the move to running sheduled services has overstretched them.

Monarch have been successfully running scheduled services since 2005; indeed very little of their work these days is charter. It was  the availability of Monarch's scheduled services that enabled a great many of us to move to inland Andalucia via Granada airport. If it hadnt been for a certain greedy, blackmailing other airline they would still be operating into GRX.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
28 Oct 2012 9:31 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

As.I.understand.it,.what.has.overstretched.them.has.been.picking.up.the.routes.BMIbaby.vacated...

Like 0      
29 Oct 2012 12:57 AM by llegaralasestrellas Star rating in United Kingdom (BHX .... 58 posts Send private message

llegaralasestrellas´s avatar

It is a shame about BMI  Baby. They have left a pretty big hole at Birmingham. Their aircraft weren't exactly spritely (everything I felt on with them seemed to be long in the tooth old-model 737s - not sure where they got them from) but they had a decent network from BHX, both domestic and EU.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mark Wilman and Nick Hodgert - Villapac - 6 posts
Easyjet Sale up to 25% off offers ends 8th Sept 2009 - 9 posts
Nearest Tax Office for Modelo 030 and 210 - 0 posts
"Tarjeta de Residencia" Question for Maria de Castro - 12 posts
Questions about working in Gibraltar and living in Spain - 0 posts
Gobal Property Solutions - 4 posts
Rueda de Camino de Castilla - 0 posts
villas - 0 posts
Bikini Bash 2009..... - 2 posts
Children in the front seat? - 4 posts
Easyjet pulling out of Luton - 3 posts
Parking in La Linea - 2 posts
Not moving to spain, moving back from costa blanca need a man with a van or part load to move a mirror and table please - 2 posts
Outstanding Utility Bills on our Apartment - 4 posts
Estate Agency Fees - 2 posts
Legal age for entry to nightclubs in Spain and Mallorca - 1 posts
Help on renting - 4 posts
Catastral Value - 6 posts
cam bank - 1 posts
rental problem - 2 posts
Banks HAVE to change conditions - 0 posts
Car Wanted, Cash Waiting! - 0 posts
Mortgage bureau - 0 posts
Costa del sol? - 13 posts
New rules on reclaiming car hire/hotel overcharges from November - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x