Estate Agents Deposit

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Mar 2007 12:00 AM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
I think estate agents should have to put down a deposit to cover for the wasted time and expenses of purchasers who offer for property that does not either have proper planning permission or habitation license. I must surly be their responsibility to make sure the property is "legal" before they advertise it.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 12:13 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Do I detect a touch of animosity?

Have a read through the thread "Square metres - real or imagined?" that I started recently.  (Also found under Spanish estate agents message board). There's a similar theme. I believe there should be more regulation and accountability in the real estate business. Shall we start a campaign?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 12:27 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Nice idea - can you imagine that any would?

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 12:30 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Also have a look in Amba sun thread

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 2:08 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 5:51 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
At least I am learning as I go along, this time I would not give a deposit until my lawyer found out about the property which by the was was a resale built 7 or 8 years ago. So at least I have not got a lost deposit this time

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 5:56 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

I suspect I am in the minority of agents although i dont class myself as an estate agent per se as we are differetn. However we do not accept properties for sale if there is no flo on it and you should be a lot safer though not expempt with resales.

its a difficult situation but now with all the publicity around anyone buying an off plan needs to be very careful.

our buyers lodge deposits with their lawyers and our reservation agreements state the full deposit refundable if further problems with documentation that we have not been able to uncover.

common sense really and i would hope others take our lead - after all we cannot have been the only agents to have several sales fall through at the last moment cos no lfo and therefore no mortgage granted!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 8:36 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Rixxy makes a very valid point and something that I have preferred for ages as in not buying off plan - I am such a cynical sod and despite the fact that some have been very successful at off plan there in no doubt there are a LOT of horror stories out there. I am a very touchy feely person and cant buy into artists impressions - mate of mine bought O/P - wanted to be as far away from garage as possible so chose one at the opposite end to where the garage door was going to be located - unfortunately the developer had a problem when at that end of the building so the construction was ultimately reversed and the garage door now sits just below his terrace - during the winter not too much of a big deal I guess but bloody hell come JUly, Augiust most of June and Sept not to mention Semana Santa and Christmas he is in purgatory as the garage door seems to go every 5 minutes or so and there is this grinding noise that is audible in his living room and one of the bedrooms - worse than someone who snores like Mount Krakatoa

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
26 Mar 2007 12:40 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Further to my earlier the price advantages that were there buying off plan are very rare these days - the growth between deposit and completion probably doesnt justify the risk so why bother - not to mention the fact that with new build there is more tax to pay - might as well go for a resale and be able to see what you are getting for your hard earned dough. Unless of course there is a minimal staged deposit scheme that makes it more feasible I really cannot see the point in the current market.

Like 0      
26 Mar 2007 4:33 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hear hear, quite agree. The OP bubble seems to have well and truly burst.

BTW, congratulations on the new villa, mate! Watch out, Janice!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Mar 2007 3:32 PM by scambuster Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

Agree with your comments Smiley, off-plan is not worth the risk anymore in Spain, unless possibly you can find a deal where it's 10% down, nothing until completion, like in the UK, and insist on time penalties for late completion, a full specification list, and written in the contract that your view WILL NOT be obscured, plus the usual Bank Gtees etc. A big hope though I think, but deals are emerging now along those lines due to the state of the market in Spain.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2007 4:10 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
27 Mar 2007 4:34 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Scambuster,

We have tried to convey this to the builders regarding off plan purchase but as you say most do not want to know.

Although we have after much discussion and banging of heads convinced a small builder to include most of the clauses in his contracts.

I agree that the capital growth figures that we are now working on do not really push the new build sales and i wish the developers would slow down and let the market catch up as things will only get worse,we have noticed a considerable decline in the volume of clients from this time last year.

Three agents have closed there doors in as many months in the town and we are only doing ok from referals of previous clients,the market has really dropped considerably.

Hopefully things will stabilise and kick on again.

Forever Hopeful

Georgia

Like 0      
27 Mar 2007 4:42 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
27 Mar 2007 7:52 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Janice, I noticed Smiley had reached 1,000 posts, and figured this put him in a villa; hot on yer 6" heels. (You're easily confused, eh?!) It was nothing to do with the topic - whoops!

This message was last edited by Roberto on 3/27/2007.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Mar 2007 8:02 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
27 Mar 2007 11:43 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Eh Rob thanks mate - you got away with a transgression and no smack - must have been the comment about J in 6" heels - I am stuck with that thought now - sleep will not come easy tonight - but does it ever?

Like 0      
28 Mar 2007 3:51 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Scambuster -  There is a very good developer in Puerto de Mazarron - Bank Guarantees, build times more or less as contract and 10% deposit with nothing to pay till completion.  Prices are excellent and detached bungalows with sea views for around €215,000.

It´s the only one I know of.  But yes very rare.

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Lecrin Valley - 2 posts
Montesinos/Naranjos - 10 posts
Broadband in Spain - 23 posts
Aroca Seiquer & Asociados - 43 posts
Looking for a good bi-lingual solicitor in Spanish Family Law. - 4 posts
Flight pictures .. a real hoot ! - 18 posts
Still looking for reformer.. - 30 posts
Just something really to think about.............. - 371 posts
BMI Cardiff - 1 posts
Message for member "Marda" - 0 posts
Development 2 YEARS behind schedule! - 4 posts
Polaris World - 4 posts
Break in - 11 posts
Non-residents buying a car in Spain - 16 posts
The best way to transfer money to Spain (Seriously)! - 92 posts
IKEA Seville now delivering to the coast - 2 posts
estimation of entry date - 10 posts
Seems your UK rates bill can be slashed. Check it out with YOUR local council. - 3 posts
IS THERE NO END TO THE NUMBER OF NEW MEMBERS? - 26 posts
Tax returns in spain - 1 posts
Annual retreats/conference - 1 posts
Offer on UK house. - 9 posts
Commercial business consultants - 20 posts
Interior designers tenerife - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x