Playing the lottery in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Just as a point of interest; from Thisismoney.co.uk  (full article here)

Chris Jones, 52, of Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear, bought his weekly Euromillions lottery tickets while visiting his son in Majorca earlier this month. He was then congratulated by e-mail over winning £5,148 and was asked to phone Camelot.

The company changed its tune, however, when he remarked over the telephone that he was calling from his mobile in Spain and would have to be brief. They simply said he was in breach of the terms and conditions on his account and they would call him to explain further.

It is illegal for a UK national to buy a Euromillions lottery ticket through the UK website while in Spain, under Spanish law (despite the Euopean-wide nature of the lottery). Each country has a separate operator under the European lottery draw.

While trying to settle the matter, Mr Jones purchased more Euromillions tickets in Spain the following week, and won £96: strangely, this was paid automatically into his account without question.

But Camelot refused to hand over his £5,000 winnings, as it argued he should have known Spanish law bars foreigners from partaking in foreign lottery draws while holidaying in the country.

Mr Jones said: 'I use the website every week and didn't see any warning e-mails. I wasn't trying to be underhand, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned I was in Spain. I would have done better if I had kept my mouth shut.

'What annoys me is that they still accepted my money and all the bets I've placed while abroad over the years. If they refunded me all those bets, the amount would be well over £5,000.'

Camelot offered to refund the cost of Mr Jones' winning ticket, which he declined.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 12:21 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Roberto

are you saying a large company used the wonderful Spanish laws, to get out of paying money it owed to an individual??........surely not!

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 1:22 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

How did I know you'd be the first to respond on this thread?

It's all yours - make it whatever you want, although we all know what that is anyway.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 2:48 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
This has now been added to the National Lottery login page - I've certainly never noticed it before!

Remember, to play National Lottery games interactively, you must be a UK or Isle of Man resident - and must only play in a country where it is lawful to do so

Jacqui

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 3:08 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

But surely this decision breaks at least one of the central tenents of the EU:

• The free movement of goods;
  • The free movement of capital;
  • The free movement of services;
  • The free movement of persons;

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 6:02 PM by Aelred Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

It is easier to play the spanish lottery, more outlets better choice, better value for money

AR

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 8:59 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

I always put my lottery on online, so how do they know when I am in Spain, what a load of rubbish.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
30 Jul 2009 9:11 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Your IP address would show that you are in Spain, so they would be able to find out if they wanted to.

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2009 9:20 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Thanks David, I will make sure it's on before I come out to Spain, this web site is so good I would never have found that out.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Hire - Recommendations Please - 11 posts
Sat Navs: which one to choose that has a good sized screen & covers Europe & UK ?? - 20 posts
Best way to finance a purchase - 2 posts
Sofa available to take away - 0 posts
Autonomo /Administrator Problem - 3 posts
RYANAIR WINTER FLIGHTS - 2 posts
Telephone Police reports in English - 2 posts
La Marina Pueblo - is it possible to hire car for 2 days only? - 1 posts
BA suspending route from Gatwick to Malaga - 1 posts
Spain uncut DVD'S paid for but not delivered? - 2 posts
Easyjet - Flights released to June 2010 - 19 posts
Airport pick-up - 10 posts
COFFEE TABLE FOR 50 EUROS WENGUE COLOUR - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
BABY BATH FOR SALE - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
2 SEATER SOFA - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
BABY CAR SEAT FOR SALE - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
SELLING BRAND NEW BABY CAR SEAT - COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
SPANISH LESSONS FOR FOREIGNERS - 0 posts
What happened in Manilva - 57 posts
WANTED - BABY'S CAR SEAT - 4 posts
ELECTRIC BILLS THIS MONTH - 21 posts
anyone dealt with vanityangels - 2 posts
Question about NIE number - 11 posts
House and contents - 8 posts
advise needed, on suma on my car? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x