The best way to transfer money to Spain (Seriously)!

Currency exchange Spain
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jun 2007 2:29 PM by mike_bickerdike Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Moneycorp don't ask for a deposit up front and everything just starts with a single payment.  They are also very flexible on the amount of months you choose if you wish to lock into a set rate.  Even though they charge a fee per month I found their exchange rate was far higher than others who offered fixed rates.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 2:51 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

We have been using Currencies Direct with no problems at all but are considering a dual purpose account.

Am I right in thinking that the Abbey have linked up with Santander?  Does anyone know if they work as one with dealings in both currencies?

Ta

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 3:00 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
Laury at the present time no they do not

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 3:48 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Thanks Conrad.

Well that blows that idea out of the water.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
07 Jun 2007 9:09 PM by nuflow7 Star rating in Solihull/Vera Playa. 139 posts Send private message

We are due to complete on a property in Vera Playa hopefully in 2 months time.  Because we are buying off plan we don't have a definite date and have the funds here in the UK.  We would like to book the completion monies transfer in advance if possible to get a better rate but not sure if we can do this without a confirmed date?

Can anyone advise if we can do this?

Like 0      
07 Jun 2007 9:19 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Most of the currency transfer companies will allow you to lodge the funds with them and they will hold it until you tell them to transfer it

https://www.currenciesdirect.com/individuals/contractoptions.php

http://www.hifx.co.uk/personal/property_purchase/your_options.aspx

Like 0      
09 Jun 2007 12:09 AM by MaggieB Star rating in Dunfermline,La Marin.... 56 posts Send private message

MaggieB´s avatar
Seriously! Currency solutions hasn't been mentioned so far and I called all the main ones mentioned here on the last day I had to transfer! and they gave me .05 above everyone, which can add up to quite a saving at the end of the day!! and the transfer ran like clockwork,

Like 0      
12 Jun 2007 9:21 PM by nuflow7 Star rating in Solihull/Vera Playa. 139 posts Send private message

Many thanks to you for your advice.  We went with Currencies Direct and only needed to pay them 10% in advance (similarly for Moneycorp but quoted a lower rate) so I went with the best deal.

Sorry Maggie your message came through too late for me, but will bear them in mind for future - do Currency Solutions also do regular monthly payments ie for utulity bills etc?   

However, we  will also look at the monthly utility bills we will be getting and see if its cheaper to draw the money out of my UK bank each time I'm in Spain and put into my Spanish bank myself or do it when exchange rates are most favourable!

Like 0      
12 Jun 2007 10:44 PM by ph Star rating in Solihull / Aguilas. 44 posts Send private message

I have always used XE Trade -

They have been efficient, cheap (£8 - ish), reliable and give good exchange rates.

Try them.

https://www.xe.com/fx/login

Like 0      
04 Sep 2007 6:53 PM by edna Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

dealt today at  1.4725 with broker in Edinburgh on large amount

Like 0      
04 Sep 2007 7:04 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
"broker in Edinburgh" ?? Come on Edna, spill the beans ! WHO is he/she ? We are  into sharing info on here

Like 0      
05 Sep 2007 3:22 PM by Chris101 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hello all,

I know its a bit micky mouse when you guys are talking about serious tranfers, but Im out here teaching english and had most of my cash stolen the other night, when I say most I mean I ran out today! My folks have tranferrred some to my spanish account today but I fear it will be monday before it clears, Im with BBVA.

Anyone know how I can get a small sum ( say 200 euros ) transferred same day??

Like 0      
05 Sep 2007 4:14 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Best and quickest way, although not cheap would be to use MONEYGRAM or the WESTERN UNION.

Western Union I think goes from Travel agents......From Spain it goes from post office, so I assume that is where it is sent to. Moneygram is from any office here in Spain and goes to the post office in England but I don't know where it goes the other way roung. But if you ask at an English post office, they will know. Costs here about 20€ for 200€ sent.........don't know charges from England tho.

Chris, have you been to BBVA and explained to them..they are very helpful, worth a try.

This message was last edited by Karensun on 9/5/2007.

This message was last edited by Karensun on 9/5/2007.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
05 Sep 2007 7:18 PM by Chris101 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I went to the bank but as I have only been in Spain for like three weeks and only had the account for two they said there was nothing they could do. Doesnt help my Catalan is weak either, Im in Barcelona. 

I definitely look at western union though, muchas gracias

PS beware of the pickpockets, they are professional!!! haha

Like 0      
05 Sep 2007 7:43 PM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar
Yes c'mon Edna. Who is the broker in Edinburgh?

Like 0      
05 Sep 2007 7:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Didn't quite understand Karen's post about Western Union (never used it, so that's probably why) but they do have offices here in Spain, so if someone goes into a WU office in UK and sends money to you at a WU office here, you should get it almost immediately. I thought they just send a fax office to office, but I could be wrong.

Slightly off topic, I was in Cash Converters in Malaga yesterday when a young couple (German I think) came in asking if they could "convert" GBP into euros. Obviously not, but I suggested they might try a bank. Incredibly, they had tried all the nearby banks, and apparently none of them would change their money. Has anyone ever heard such a strange thing? If you can't buy money from a bank, where the heck are you supposed to go?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Sep 2007 7:56 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

In the UK you might also have this difficulty if you do not hold an account with the Bank concerned.

It is due to Financial Crime & Anti Money Laundering regulations.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
05 Sep 2007 8:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
We're talking tourists changing a handful of foreign currency here, not Bin Laden transferring millions. Will tourists have to open bank accounts in every country they visit then?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Sep 2007 8:34 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Roberto

I have worked in Banking in the UK for 29 years & you wouldn't believe the "hoops" that have to be jumped through these days, together with the potential for staff to be prosecuted if they don't adhere to regulations.

Even if it is a tourist wanting to change a few notes, they would find it difficult to do with many of the high street banks.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
05 Sep 2007 10:24 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I knew things have got a lot stricter, but this really amazes me! Obviously it's been a while since I've strayed far from home. Thank God for the Euro, and the fact that I still maintain a bank account in the UK.

I remember (& it doesn't seem that long ago) when I was a young backpacker, part of the experience of travelling the world was all the different currencies that you had to handle, regularly seeking out banks or money changers to change your Ringit into Baht or Rupees. I suppose today's Gap year adventurers just carry a characterless slip of plastic? Some years ago, I ran a busy yachtie bar in Palma, catering to a constantly & globally mobile clientele. We accepted Pesetas, Sterling and Dollars, occassionally Deutsche Mark, and sometimes even Mount Gay Rum shipped from Antigua in someone's bilges (since it was hard to source on Mallorca). Sometimes a beer would be exchanged for an exotic bank note to add to our collection on the ceiling above the bar, which all added to the fun and atmosphere of the place. I suppose nowadays I would have to ask for ID, fill out reams of paperwork and run a security check on every customer who wants to actually pay in cash?

The times, they are a changing!

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

IKEA Seville now delivering to the coast - 2 posts
estimation of entry date - 10 posts
Seems your UK rates bill can be slashed. Check it out with YOUR local council. - 3 posts
IS THERE NO END TO THE NUMBER OF NEW MEMBERS? - 26 posts
Tax returns in spain - 1 posts
Annual retreats/conference - 1 posts
Offer on UK house. - 9 posts
Commercial business consultants - 20 posts
Interior designers tenerife - 1 posts
Suppliers - 13 posts
Hello Everyone!! - 10 posts
MEETING UP IN MARBELLA - 28 March 2007 - 127 posts
WANTED - RELIABLE GARAGE CDS - 0 posts
Spanish Amazon any info - 1 posts
Bedroom Furniture For Sale - 6 posts
Need for better search engine!! - 8 posts
Onlne Bullying - 7 posts
Duquesa Hills site not finished - 1 posts
Private message block - 2 posts
Whats the Orihuela/Fortuna area like? - 0 posts
Estepona Eateries - 1 posts
Llanos del Peral - 1 posts
Games in here - 3 posts
Can't find me ad! - 0 posts
Procumasa - Las Kalendas Does not listen to customers and ignors specification sheets - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 93

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x