ARE YOU LIABLE FOR FINES OWED ON A CAR YOU PURCHASE IN SPAIN?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by mrs d Star rating in Northern Ireland bu.... 17 posts Send private message

mrs d´s avatar

Hi

I am looking to purchase a car in Spain and have been advised to be careful as if fines are owed on the vehicle when you purchase it you are responsible for them. Doed anyone know if that is true please?

Like 0      
21 Jul 2009 2:00 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Just the other way round................................our friend sold a car...................and he got 17 tickets for speeding from Spain AND Sweden.................................it took MONTHS and loads of letters BUT eventually it was proven that he did not own the car at the time of the fines.

You would be better to buy from a reputable garage I think, then at least you may have some comeback.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
21 Jul 2009 2:23 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

True. Mrs D, employ a gestor to check or, as Karensun, said, buy from a reputable garage (as we did recently). You need to employ someone ideally  (if you buy privately) to transfer documents into your name. Just saves you the worry of all this.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 21/07/2009.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2009 8:08 PM by mrs d Star rating in Northern Ireland bu.... 17 posts Send private message

mrs d´s avatar

Thank you so much for your answers!

Like 0      
21 Jul 2009 10:23 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

As far as I know, yes, fines stay with the car, so it's imperative whether buying or selling to ensure that the transfer of ownership is properly completed. If selling privately the best way is probably to physically go with the buyer to Trafico to do the transfer. If buying, I think you can check a car out through Trafico first for any outstanding fines, but I've never done it so perhaps someone else can confirm (or deny) this and how to do it.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Jul 2009 9:10 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes, fines are charges on the car, so before buying one,  you can get from the Province Traffic authorities a certificate which will show  to you the  administrative status of the car ( fines,  reservation of right of ownership, embargoes.... .

Same certificate can show to you the number of owners the car has had, date of first  registration...

Quite worth it... yes!

MAria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 Jul 2009 12:07 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I'm thinking that this is the form to complete to request information on a vehicle?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Aug 2009 6:13 PM by stant Star rating in cardiff wales. 48 posts Send private message

yes all fines stay with the car not the owner so if you get one with fines you have to pay them is rong i now . the seller should tell you a bout fines on the car they are selling

Like 0      
15 Aug 2009 7:01 PM by xpatman Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

YES YOU ARE LIABLE FOR ALL FINES, EVEN IF YOU BROUGHT THE CAR OF SOMEONE THAT SOLD IT TO YOU AND HE STILL OWED MONEY ON IT (HP) , SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITALS BUT MY SMALL LETTERS DONT WORK.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2009 7:02 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

stant, expatman, are you following the thread ?   Maria who is a lawyer has said that two posts ago.

stant, if you were the seller & there were debts I somehow doubt you'd be saying so !!!

This message was last edited by morerosado on 15/08/2009.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2009 7:28 PM by tobywoods123 Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

dont undertand the last post ,

im just stating a fact, if you sell a car with debts on it then the debt is passed on, what part of this do you not understand,

if you are the seller ofcourse you not going to say this, is that not obvious!!!!!!!!

think u need to read again

Like 0      
15 Aug 2009 7:57 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

This happened to me when I first came to Spain in 95! Our ´wonderful, helpful´next door neighbours sorted a death trap of a car out for us, and only when we went to put it in our names did we find there were outstanding parking tickets and fines which came to more than the cost of buying the car!

In those days no one changed the name of the original owner and the debt stayed with the car, hence if you got stopped for anything, your details got logged against the car ownership and Hacienda would take the money owed from your account!!!!

Nowadays you HAVE to have the car in your name to get the insurance so things are changing but still any debts are transferred to the new owner.

I also got clobbered for debts after someone bought a car from me as they did not re-register the car, this was in 98, and whilst I could prove I was in the UK for a few months over the alleged offence and the car had never been in my name, as i was the last person whose details were attached to the car from a routine stop in 96, I had the equivalent of 85 sterling taken from my bank account by Hacienda just taking the money out with no notice, they deducted that in september 2000 and there was nothing I could do, even though I proved I was not in the country and was working in the UK at that time!

Their excuse was I was the last registered person - I had never even owned the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Aug 2009 8:35 PM by spanishsolicitor Star rating in Murcia. 140 posts Send private message

spanishsolicitor´s avatar

Under the General Regulations of vehicles RD 2822/18/1998 (ss. 32 and 33) it is compulsory to register the new ownership of a vehicle within a term of 10 days.

When a vehicle is sold, the liability of the new owner (for traffic fines, tickets, of the former owner, the seller) can be discharged when section 32 or 33 of the mentioned statute is complied with. The former owner or seller notifies Trafico that the vehicle has been sold to the new owner (buyer). This notification is know as Cambio de titularidad CT. Once the CT has been accepted Trafico will update the registration database to reflect the change of ownership.

It should be noted that even though a CT has been submitted and the registration database managed by Trafico is updated to reflect the new owner (buyer); former notices of fines may still be sent to the new or fomer owner.

The above is not applied to tax or other charges in the vehicle different than tickets

This message was last edited by spanishsolicitor on 15/08/2009.

Like 0      
21 Aug 2009 3:09 PM by praguepix Star rating in Marbella Villa. 101 posts Send private message

Nowadays you HAVE to have the car in your name to get the insurance so things are changing but still any debts are transferred to the new owner.

Well, I'veinsured a LandRover Discovery I bought on Spanish plates from a UK company  and the wretched vehicle's ownership hasn't been transferred yet in spite of the former owner's willingness to do so -she is back in the UK. I would like to get this sorted out but don't know how to go about it.

I also insured this month  a UK plated car via Ibex and the car is registered to my son.

This message was last edited by praguepix on 21/08/2009.

Like 0      
21 Aug 2009 3:27 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Then you are doing well. Linea Directa wont do it as i tried with them on a car I bought, and a friend of mine insured a car (I was with him at the time) and they asked him to drop back the registration once it was in his name - a note was made on file

One rulle, many different interpretations!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HOW DO YOU CHOOSE A LAWYER? - 1 posts
Looking to rent a 3 bed flat in Gibraltar - 0 posts
Licence of first occupation - 3 posts
Furniture - 0 posts
ESTELLENCS - 1 posts
Hi - 3 posts
Cost of tolls through France. - 1 posts
Rough justice yet again! - 1050 posts
CAR HIRE FOR 7TH -14TH AUGUST FROM GIB - 1 posts
awnings - 1 posts
Dacion en Pago Urgent Query! - 5 posts
Free Prescriptions? - 7 posts
in memory of henry surtees - 1 posts
LOOKING FOR WINTER LET IN ALMORADI - 5 posts
Reform - resources - 6 posts
Spanish Architect - 2 posts
Thats it we will be off......... - 25 posts
Rental - 0 posts
Helping British Expats in Spain - 0 posts
Justin - 3 posts
Holidays in Spain ... Yeah!!! - 1 posts
uk shopping in spain - furniture and electrials - 0 posts
Disappearing 'Flog it' - 9 posts
Re Speeding fine - 32 posts
puerto banus - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x