Speeding fine on A-7 towards Alicante

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by Ted H Star rating in Purley and jardin 13.... 458 posts Send private message

Any advice welcome.  I have just had a notice of a fine through from May this year - I am now back in UK, this was in a hire car. The fine is for €140, and the envelope states "a signature is required", but i didn't sign for it.  Any advice as to what the comeback is if i ignore this - I will be back in Spain in October, so don't want to risk finding i can't get a car, or have trouble if stopped.

Thanks for any advice from anyone with experience of this.

Ted

Like 0      
15 Jul 2009 12:25 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Who did it come from?  Beware as there are many scams on this. .  Contact your hire car company (by e-mail) and ask them if they have been contacted as that is the only way the police can get your details.  If they haven't been contacted then ignore it.

Of course, if they have been contacted then you'll have to man up and pay the fine (you should have instructions on how to do it) and slow down a bit next time you're out there.  But beware of the scams. 

Like 0      
15 Jul 2009 1:21 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Police do contact the car hire company who, by law, have to inform the police of your details. The letter should have a bar code on it, Ted. We covered this a while back in here (& a few times before then, too) but I've searched & cannot find the thread. Anyway take it to the Correos when you go out & they will scan the code which tells them how much you need to pay as it incurs interest after 30 days I believe.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2009 2:13 PM by delza Star rating. 77 posts Send private message

If the fine is legit and you ignore it then if you are ever stopped in Spain in or out of a car and asked to prove your I.D you will be promptly arrested and will either have to goto court and pay the fines or they will demand you pay it there and then.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 12:34 AM by Ted H Star rating in Purley and jardin 13.... 458 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advice, the letter comes from the "Ministerio Del Interior" and does have a bar code, certainly looks official, but then I am sure a scam would too - so I will check with the car hire firm.  Hope I can pay it from the UK, as it offers a discount if paid within 30 days of signing for the notice - although I haven't signed for it - which was really my only hope, but guess that won't do me much good if i get stopped on a future visit.

Again thanks

Ted

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 11:15 AM by bruciebaby Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi Ted, I've started a new thread on this subject before seeing yours. I have the same problem as you and would like to pay the fine. Can you tell me how you paid it from the Uk.? many thanks

Bruce

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 1:59 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Ted h

Funny if you are a visitor they would have fined you on the spot. did you receive a ticket from the police, how long ago was this.

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 2:16 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Myra, Ted was obviously caught speeding on camera not actually stopped by the police. That was why the paperwork was sent to the address the car hire company held on him, & he was not fined on the spot.

Bruce, you pay at a bank in Spain or a Correos where they scan the barcode & add interest if you pay after the 30 days.

I must admit it seems rather crazy that you cannot pay in the UK.

Why, in another country, do people risk getting fined anyway. You know the limit yet you still choose not to observe it. To me it's clear cut. If the limit on the AP7 (motorway) is 120km/hr (which it is) why do more.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 16/07/2009.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 2:37 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Morerosada. Glad to see you are following my posts. I did not see where he stated that he was caught on camera!

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 2:42 PM by bruciebaby Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Its not as clear cut as you may thnk. I was in a hire car going to Sevilla from Malaga. I was not driving. There were three driver names on the hire contract. I know that I am responsable as I took out the hire contract in my name. But that is just unfortunate for me. However, is it really not possible to pay this fine from the UK? I am sending a copy to the issueing office asking how I can pay it. I've written in my rudimentary Spanish and asked them to reply in English if possible. Has no-one ever come across this before? I'm sending the Spanish Authorities a copy asking what I should do on the advise from my local police station. I have included my email address and phone number. Just have to wait I guess.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 2:43 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Myra, Ted didn't say that he was caught on camera (agreed) but, reading betwen the lines, it seems that is what did happen. He obviously wasn't stopped or he would've been fined there & then, as you say.

I do try & follow most posts especially those posted by those in certain positions, Myra. You are, from your signature, working for http://www.costaadvicebureau.com/ so I value your information.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 2:46 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Bruce. I guess you being the 1st named driver are (presumably) deemed liable. Hardly fair but how do the police know who's driving ? Certainly makes you think, doesn't it ? I hadn't thought of that.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 2:53 PM by bruciebaby Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thankyou morerosado.  I'm just at a loss as to what to do. I know I have to pay but I don't have plans to go back to Spain any time soon. It just seems incredible that I am unable to pay the fine from the UK! (still waiting for PM activation morerosado)

This message was last edited by bruciebaby on 16/07/2009.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 2:55 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Bruce, in another thread on same topic , the offender got a friend in Spain to go pay it for him/her. Can you do this, maybe ?

Whatever does the actual driver have to say, I wonder ? They should reimburse you if they were driving. I'd be frigging livid if it wasn't me driving.

Check out these two threads, info in them you should read

Speeding ticket

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 2:59 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Yes I could but would still need confirmation that it is legal. I like to check everything.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 3:14 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Myra.

However, if it was a scam, how, I wonder, do people get hold of your address if not from the car hire company & say you were where you obviously were & doing what you presumably were doing ? I'm just interested to understand. I appreciate you can't answer this, it's an observation. It's not meant as a question.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 4:54 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

As a request from morerosado for all the naughty drivers putting the wellie down. Pay your traffic fine direct from the UK. or Spain, direct to the government.

Go to www.dgt.es   Right of page in yellow box. Pago de multas en internet. Click. Then down to the middle in a blue band
?pago de multas en internet. Dont click. Go to in blue print. Pago de multas (sin certificado digital ni DNI electrónico)
click. You will find a very simple form to fill in. English and Spanish. follow instructions and it will allow you to pay the fine with your credit card. Below is a copy of the form you will arrive at.

Payer identification and pending payment penalty data

Payer data and pending payment penalty data

Total amount must be the indicated in penalty notification. The system will calculate automatically applicable reductions.

If you need help, you can request it here

myra cecilia

This message was last edited by myra cecilia on 16/07/2009.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 4:57 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Thank you Myra,  others will hopefully now find this information in a search & I'm going to save it. (I've just spent ages answering your PM, Myra).

Wonder if many would think this happens in the UK. Watch the picture, it's animated. 

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 11:33 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

That is hilarious thanks. Have to show it to some of my spanish friends.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2009 9:12 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Very funny!!!

I've been reading threads about speeding fines and if I've understood them correctly the rules have recently changed and you are fined if you go 1 km over.  The most worrying fact was that the cars speedometer were showing an x figure but a sat nav was showing a different figure.  As the camera activator is now so tight you'd need to keep well under the stated speed limit.

Be interested to hear how you get on with paying the fine on-line.

Don't want to tempt fate but it might come in useful 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Trampolin Hills - 1 posts
Hello Eye on Spain - 3 posts
Looking for a good Administrator - 13 posts
Know any good Administrators? - 26 posts
INDUSTRIAL UNITS - WAREHOUSES TO LET - 0 posts
Property Agent - 2 posts
If currently you're experiencing problems sourcing a hire car in the Torrevieja area of the CB ..... - 0 posts
Marbella : fractional ownership - 1 posts
Blood Donation in Spain - 4 posts
location of estate agents - 5 posts
PLEASE can someone help Dama, a beautiful Beagle - 0 posts
Colin, please show us how you put your pics on. (You said if I asked in here, you would !) - 4 posts
HOLIDAY LETS - 1 posts
Calais to the Mar Menor - 2 posts
Selling without the estate agent - 5 posts
help wonted - 3 posts
Happy Birthday Arm - 2 posts
Taking an irish reg car to spain - 1 posts
What is the current commercial property rate in Vancouver? - 5 posts
More on Polaris World refunds - 4 posts
long term rental needed - 5 posts
Clause 5 - 2 posts
THE NEW BEER DOWN THE SHIRT FASHION - 1 posts
Summer Feria Sabinillas - 1 posts
door eccessories sale - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 42

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x