transferring money .

Currency exchange Spain
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jun 2009 12:00 AM by ray.polly Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi. I'm Ray.   First time I've posted.  Here's my question.  If companies like moneycorp get you the best rates and do everything free with no fees, how do they make any money?

This is a good forum have already picked up some good advice.

Ray.

Like 0      
25 Jun 2009 4:03 PM by TheBabyHireCentre Star rating in In between the two a.... 48 posts Send private message

TheBabyHireCentre´s avatar

They usually make their margins by offering you rates that are better than high street banks but still with a very small margin built-in to make for their company.

As they broker by transferring hundreds of thousands of pounds, euros and dollars every day they get a better exchange rate, this allows them to pass a percentage over to the consumer or business but still make profit for themselves.

It simply boils down to how many naughts you are trading in, and most of these guys are trading on the markets with lots of naughts!

N.B. Hifx have now got an online money transfer facility which gives you an even better rate than with one of their brokers on the telephone. You can actually watch the rate refresh on your screen every few seconds and hit your 'buy' button when you want to, securing the exact rate you see!

This message was last edited by TheBabyHireCentre on 25/06/2009.

Like 0      
25 Jun 2009 4:52 PM by brummiedave Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Try crown they are usually offer some of the best rates I have found compared to others, but they do charge £25 for bank transfers to Spain where as Hifx do it free but there rates are usually weaker so it depends how much you are exchanging. Crown will also post the money to you free at your home address.

Like 0      
25 Jun 2009 5:35 PM by benan Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Hi all,

Another poster said it right, what they do is trade off the same interbank rate that the banks trade at, but take a smaller margin.  On average, I have found most brokers try to take 1%, so if the interbank rate (if you google gbp/eur) is 1.17 the will offer around 1.1583 to start with... Broker I use only takes 50 pips (so would give me 1.165) every time.  they also have an online system and although it gives the same spread, whenever I speak to him direct he tries to match me up with any other trades he has in order to get a better rate. Great service, great rates and highly reccommended!

Like 0      
25 Jun 2009 6:29 PM by tmdaniel Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

don't worry, they all make money, just much less than the bank, in my experience the spread will vary with volume, but they usually base it on 1%, although this can increase for small amounts. I have found a broker that will give me a fixed spread of 50pips for any volume (unless it is tiny) which makes life easy, they always tell me where the market is trading when i trade (yes, i do check!)

Like 0      
25 Jun 2009 6:52 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

If you just want to take money out of a hole in the wall in Spain use a Nationwide card. Last week I went every day, maximum seems to be 300 Euros and evey transaction was above 1.17 and on one day I got 1.18! Considering these are very small transactions I am very happy. Before we went we used crown and got 1.13 for a large amount of money. I ordered that 2 weeks earlier. 

Like 0      
24 Feb 2010 12:37 PM by whufc48 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Spam **

Like 0      
30 Apr 2010 1:32 PM by BigAl Star rating. 86 posts Send private message

BigAl´s avatar

Has anyone recently transfered funds over using one of the money exchange companies? Did you compare them and which company gave the best rate on the day?

Regards,

Allan

Like 0      
30 Apr 2010 2:21 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Travelex is no. 1

Hifx is reasonable.

Sometimes good to compare one against the other depending on amount etc

But you need to be awaremost FX companies pay fees to introducers and that can impact on the rate you get!!!!

Like 0      
30 Apr 2010 3:15 PM by BigAl Star rating. 86 posts Send private message

BigAl´s avatar

The Travelex rate appears to be lower than other comapnies like Money Corp, Currency Solutions, Currencies Direct etc. I am looking at larger sums for completing the purchase of a property - any experience of these other companies?

Regards,

allan

Like 0      
30 Apr 2010 3:25 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Your best option is to open an account with 2 providers (that costs you nothing) and on the day you need to do the transfer call up and haggle over rates.

Don't use the online facility for large sums.

In terms of efficiency Travelex are the best.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2010 4:09 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

We used Global Currency Exchange when we completed

Best rate and hassle free

Now for sending smaller amounts we tag on to their monthly transfer and still get the good rate

(Having said that for a large one off tell them you can get it a point cheaper elsewhere)

This is just an opinion based on my experience!

Like 0      
19 May 2010 12:00 PM by DaveAilsa Star rating in Tallentire, UK, Los .... 101 posts Send private message

I started using Currencies Direct some time ago and today wanted to transfer 800 sterling to my account in Spain.
I was quite taken aback when the best rate they could give was 1.10 when the current exchange rate is 1.17.
They said they could only give the commercial rate to amounts over £5000.

I'm sure when I used a previous broker that I got a much better rate (in the above example, maybe 1.16).

I presume everyone else who uses CD have experienced this - I think I may look around for an alternate broker to get a better rate for my hard-earned money. Any suggestions ?

Dave

Like 0      
19 May 2010 12:20 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

DaveAilsa

When we transfer small amounts with Global Currency Exchange they tag them on to there month end transfers and we still get a good rate

Spookily our place is on the golf course at Valle del Este, Vera and Globals office is in Mojacar Playa, also Reading not far from High Wycombe - small world!!

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 11:41 AM by hifx scam Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

In response to what was said earlier about HiFX rates on screen. This is very misleading. Sure you can see the rates changing on the screen but when you think you have secured the rate it doesn't actually do this. It's only when you do the transaction that you are given your rate which is normally different to the rate you think you secured! It's very sneaky and I wouldn't be surprised if they amend the rate ever so slightly in their favour. It may not make them much for one transaction but over thousands of transactions a day it probably builds up to a healthy pot.

Sounds like another HiFX scam to me...

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 12:39 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi, Just to add my two penny's worth.

I've just transfered our living expenses for next month on to our Caxton euro card, got 1.178 when the interbank rate was 1,198, didn't think that was to bad, there are no fees or charges either

S

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 12:48 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Hi

How much does it cost to use the Caxton Euro card please

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 1:16 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Fred

There are no costs to load it or spend it, use it the same as a debit card to buy goods and services and get cash from the hole in the wall, In fact there are no costs at all, they must make there money from the spread on the rate. I know that they run the card in conjunction with the Newcastle building society.

I wouldn't be without mine now.

Steve

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 1:53 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Thanks Team GB

The card is only for UK residents and I am not

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2010 2:17 PM by tonynault Star rating in Stockport & Cox!. 88 posts Send private message

tonynault´s avatar

Kev2006n,

"maximum seems to be 300 Euros" I use Nationwide and, on the advice of a friend, I found that you can withdraw 300e on each card on the account! So if you have two cards on the account you can get 600e a day! I'm pretty sure you can't do it in the UK though. When you have max'd out on the daily limit over here then thats it!

Tony.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Merino Wool Underblankets... - 0 posts
buying property in spain - 16 posts
Hello from us. - 3 posts
Internet Techy Question - 18 posts
Free book on Community Finances - 2 posts
Is this the time to buy a business? - 10 posts
Recording Studio wanted - 0 posts
Alicante Hogueras fiestas this evening - 0 posts
SOFA BEDS FOR SALE - 0 posts
Help Athentic spanish gift needed for the man that has everything...! - 2 posts
Online registration for the payment of non resident’s la renta tax - 40 posts
Licence of First Ocupation - 2 posts
getting rid of wasp's nest - 5 posts
Had to complete new mortgage with life insurance to keep property - 11 posts
Vegeterian restaurants in Vera area. - 13 posts
FOR SALE - BRAND NEW - BEDS - 1 KING & 2 SINGLE - 1,000 EUROS THE LOT - 0 posts
A link to claim against Courts in Spain - 2 posts
motorcycle letter delivery service - 0 posts
reluctant sale - 1 posts
Selling a property in Spain. - 5 posts
bringing over freesatbox - 8 posts
IS THIS THE NEW WEALTH TAX??? - 2 posts
Fiesta Noche de San Juan 2009 - 8 posts
mosaic tables and chairs for sale - 1 posts
Trampolining/Gymnastics in or around Malaga - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x