To use a solicitor/gestoria or not!!!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jun 2007 1:54 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

Does anybody know of a solicitor who charges a set fee for legal work to buy a house? all the quotes I seem to be getting are based on a % of the deed costs which I will just not pay. I cannot see why soliciotrs won't offer a set fee regardless of whether you buy for 50,000 euros or 350,000 euros. If there added complications the that is a different story but please...... It  seems to me that the legal framework in Spain, (in particular were it is the Brits that are buying) needs some regulation. Now do not take this as a cry that just because I am British I am getting ripped off, it is just that we do get ripped off all the time, you only have to read some of the threads on this web site to clarify this fact!

I have just been quoted nearly 600 euros to have 2 wills drawn up including notary fees!!!!

It really is time we started to say no to hefty fees.

So if anybody has any GOOD solicitors that they can recommend please do so.

Like 0      
01 Jun 2007 2:09 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi KP,

the solicitor i use charges €1000 minimum and €2000 maximum plus iva and is very good,based in Guardamar Costa Blanca.

Dont fall into this % rip off the best lawyers don't do it.

How much for wills??????????????

As a friend of mine used to say "i think they admired your advance!!(saw you coming.)

PM me and i will be glad to pass on details.

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 1:24 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

KP, totally agree with you. The amount of work involved has nothing at all to do with the value of the property you are buying, so why a % fee? Exactly the same could be said about estate agent fees.

Whoops, just gone and p*ssed off a load of members again! Sorry guys, I'm just having one of those nights!

KP, where are you based? It would help members to know when you ask for recommendations. I know a very good lawyer in Torremolinos and another in Mallorca, but they may be no use to you where you are?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Jun 2007 10:41 AM by Maggy Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Completed on the land purchase last week eventually, it was far more complicated than we originally thought it would be, had we not used a solicitor we could have been in for some nasty surprises a few years down the line. Now all we need to do is get an architect, a project, a licence, water and electric and a builder we can trust!!!! I know some may think we are mad but it will be done, watch this space.....

Like 0      
18 Jul 2007 5:51 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

Just thought I would let everyone know, after doing some research, went to my local Notary's office today to do mine and my partners mirror Wills, the cost! 38 euro's each and it was in Spanish & English!!!! so before you go to your trusted solicitor to arrange your Wills for you DO IT YOURSELF!!! I cannot believe I was quoted 600 euros.

The process:

Go to the Notary (if they speak English and many do you will not need a translater) make an appointment to make your will, you will need proof of NIE/residency, passport details. You will then discuss who needs to be the benefactors etc, this process is more complicated if you have been married more than once!

If the notary speaks English you will get a copy in both languages, if not you will have to take an interpretor with you but well worth the 15 euros they charge per hour.

Need an english Will? download a copy from the internet, there are many available and you do not need a solicitor unless it is complicated.

Good Luck

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

healthcare in spain. - 1 posts
BUYING A NAVE (AGRICULTURAL BUILDING) - 3 posts
Parcels delivery - 3 posts
Just back from spain - current progress - 3 posts
Agent - 2 posts
english films/cinema - 1 posts
My New Home - 9 posts
Agents - 1 posts
sports thread uk football - 2 posts
Has anyone else completed here ? - 5 posts
Estate Agents in spain? - 2 posts
Update on Phase 4 - 22nd october. - 2 posts
ISA's and Spanish Tax - 3 posts
Zurgena, Costa Almeria - 1 posts
Is there anyone out there who is living in the Altea region,north of Alicante - 0 posts
My area. Enjoy! - 1 posts
Mariadecastro´s legal advise in London - 14 posts
paint - 31 posts
self storage at Gata de Gorges - 0 posts
Garden Furniture and Gas Barbecue in Mojacar area - 3 posts
This Thread Has Lost It's Thread - 8 posts
Thought Id telll you my expirience - 5 posts
All Things Sports - 301 posts
San Cayetano Quarter Villas - 12 posts
needing new home - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x