How to estimate occupancy rates

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 May 2009 12:00 AM by absie Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi everyone, 

I'm about to complete on a 3 bed apartment in Medina Elvira outside Granada.  I'm working out rental options and potential income and wonder if anyone can advise what % of high, mid and low season occupancy I should estimate for.   The apartment is right on a golf course and is about 50 minutes from the mountains for skiing.   Any feedback would be useful as I'm very new to this!  Many thanks

Like 0      
09 May 2009 10:57 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Absie and welcome to the forum!

You have asked an impossible question.  When I bought my property I was told by the agent I would get 30 - 40 weeks rental, then the agency they hired told me I'd be lucky to get 8.  They actually got me 1 week the first year!

The market is very slow for rentals as well as sales and my advice is:

• market your property to friends and family - that is where you will get the most rentals, at first anyway
  • use all the free ads you can get - put it onto Eye on Spain for a start
  • get a good management company - ask around and try to get recommendations
  • you can use one of the big rental companies but remember you will be one in thousands of properties
  • you need to keep the price really low as people are shopping around - don't expect to cover your mortgage
  • if you can afford it, get yourself a nice website that is compliant and can be found by Google
  • make sure your property is well furnished and well presented as competition is fierce

Sorry if that all sounds negative but I don't know anyone who is making money out of rentals at the moment.  If you can cover some of your costs then you are doing well.

All the best.

Like 0      
11 May 2009 9:43 AM by absie Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Claire

Very useful information, thankyou!  Most appreciated.

Like 0      
11 May 2009 6:21 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Also make sure it is user friendly and have 1 or 2 sofa beds in the lounge, sky tv if you are marketing to english or other language speakers other than spanish.

You need to promote it hard and push to make it stand out. Ensure your management agency are 24hours in case of emergencies and also will hand keys at any hour of the day or night.

We used to work on 4-6 weeks or each season. 

Good luck

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
11 May 2009 7:31 PM by randolph Star rating. 167 posts Send private message

Calculate the worst possible scenario .

If you can cope  - then everything else is a bonus!   

Jo

This message was last edited by randolph on 11/05/2009.

Like 0      
11 May 2009 8:41 PM by absie Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thank you for this guys.  The agents make it sound like the money's going to roll in!

Like 0      
12 May 2009 6:32 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Absie

i decided not to rent mine out via agents for a variety of reasons, I am fortunate in that I have a client bank within the UK of people known for many years and as such trusted, most important thing was a reliable cleaner of course two sets of all linen etc, colour coded per room so everyone knows where it all goes!

feel it is easier to promote if doing it yourself if you make a dvd of ther aprtment and the area as these are more "lifelike" than pictures and can be posted out quite cheaply due to weight etc, also bear in mind if you are openly advetising it then the taxman can also see this.

try to ensure you market it for half terms etc etc

good luck

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Development maps incorrect - 3 posts
City of Malaga - Information and Advice for Potential Visitors - 0 posts
Notification problems again - 2 posts
GOLF COURSE RATINGS / COMMENTS - 5 posts
Renault Express Combi For Sale... - 0 posts
Water meter costs - 10 posts
Orange - 5 posts
WANTED LAWYER WHO TAKES NO NONSENSE AND FIGHTS FOR CLIENTS - 1 posts
Hiring baby car seats etc. San Juan de los Terreros - 0 posts
car boots in costa blanca - 1 posts
What's the easiet way to know where your local airport flies to - 2 posts
Parking at Murcia Airport - 2 posts
A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE IN JUST 2 HOURS - 0 posts
children's healthcare - 0 posts
Funiture for sale - 0 posts
corrie - 0 posts
removers - 0 posts
Hi From Lisa Grant - Spectrum FM - 105.5fm - - 0 posts
Rio Park Bank Guarantee Promised But Not Issued - 16 posts
damp - 1 posts
David Beckham is still a Red - 8 posts
For sale - flights Gatwick-Murcia-Gatwick (dep 25 May return 2 June) - 8 posts
At last we have ALL posts of each member back - 2 posts
Van Wanted - 3 posts
Gardeners - Who Pays? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x