Taxes in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by gerkinsella Star rating in Dublin Ireland/Daya .... 35 posts Send private message

gerkinsella´s avatar

Hi all
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am confused re what taxes I need to pay in Spain , I am a non Resident. Do I have to pay Sumo and non resident taxes?? Do I need to use a solicter do pay both of these taxes???

We have our property since May 2008

I would be very grateful for your advise.

Thanks

Geraldine

Like 0      
30 Apr 2009 6:32 PM by neutral Star rating in Dublin/Benalmadena C.... 172 posts Send private message

As far as I know you'll need to pay

1: IBI tax (council tax)

2: Basura  (rubbish collection fee)

3: La Renta Tax.

You may pay a year in arrears on La Renta the other 2 I'm not sure Maybe some else can answer you better.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2009 6:57 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Sumo tax only applicable in Japan (sorry, couldn't resist it!);

SUMA applies to Costa Blanca, but is same thing as IBI. You will be liable for 2009 onwards. 2008 should have been paid by previous owner, since they owned it on Jan 1st of that year. Bills aren't usually sent out until second half of the year - which makes it difficult for the previous owner to pay 2008 if you bought it in May. If it's a new build, you may have to wait a couple of years for the council to sort themselves out - and then bill you for several years at once!

You can do your own renta (income) tax, and there are people on here who will explain how, or you may prefer to pay a professional asesoria fiscal to do it on your behalf. 2008 payment due by either end of June or end of December 2009 - can't remember which for non-residents?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Apr 2009 7:24 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Roberto, I loved the Sumo tax bit!!

gerkinsella

Yes, you can pay your own taxes, many people do and save loads, year in year out on Lawyer's fees.

PM me for further info

Regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
30 Apr 2009 8:29 PM by leswill Star rating. 120 posts Send private message

You can set up a direct debit to pay  the SUMA IBI tax through your Spanish bank.  The non resident 'renta' tax is paid using a modelo 210 tax form.  You can either pay a fiscal rep to do this for you, complete your own form if your Spanish is up to it, or obtain the modelo 210 ready completed and take it to your own bank to make payment.  For details of the modelo 210 completion at a cost of just 35 euros please see link to my website.  I can also let you have the SUMA direct debit form if you are interested.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2009 11:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Did I mention there are people on here who will tell you how to do your own renta?

Did we ever agree on the deadline for non-res. returns, folk?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Apr 2009 11:38 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Did I mention there are people on here who will tell you how to do your own renta?

Hi Rob, you did & bingo, two appeared almost at the same time, rather like our local buses.

If you submit yourself it's end of Dec, if a fiscal/lawyer submits on your behalf it's end June. (Do try & keep up, dear. )

Like 0      
30 Apr 2009 11:52 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Sorry I took my eye off the ball - too busy working out how long I can postpone filing my own tax return in order to maximise the interest I will earn before coughing up. How much is 0% of nothing, by the way?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 May 2009 10:55 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

It's Zilch, zero, nada Roberto!!!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
01 May 2009 5:11 PM by gerkinsella Star rating in Dublin Ireland/Daya .... 35 posts Send private message

gerkinsella´s avatar

Hi all

Thank you very much for all your helpful replies. I think it is all a bit clearer now.

Fibby - I will send you a pm for more information.

Thanks again

Geraldine

Like 0      
02 May 2009 6:27 PM by the doc Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

All fine information for new non resident property owner. But heres a point that everyone should be aware of.

For Owners in Estepona

The owners that have registered  Estepona as their main residence are given a subsidy from the Town Hall  towards the IBI bill.

Why should non resident property owners have to pay more than others?

Is it because we do not have a vote?

I am suprised that people do not complain about this discrimination.

Like 0      
02 May 2009 6:36 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi The Doc

I have read this in another thread I think.

If you sign on the Padron, would you get the disount then?

I don't think this discount applies in my area Costa Blanca.

If it is just local to Estapona, then i agree, Non Residents are being dicriminated against.

Start  a petition!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
04 May 2009 11:19 PM by the doc Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

Hello Fibby Uk,

A petition would be a good idea, watch this space! Have you any suggestions on how to set one up?

This system of subsidising empadronmientos is not uncommon . There have been a few articles  on websites and newspapers.

But the difference in Estepona is that there was 2 increases in 08 .The catastral value  and the perecentage from 0.85 to 1.1  

Resulting in a 60 % increase for non residents and believe it or not only 2.1% for empadronmientos.It would appear that the EU is the only answer to force the Spain Government to implement their own  laws .

Like 0      
04 May 2009 11:29 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

My understanding is that many councils encouraged property owners, both resident and non-resident, to sign on the padrón, in order to boost the apparent population figures, which would then bring more funding from regional and/or central govt. To encourage people, they offered discounts on IBI, and in some cases (such as Torremolinos) basura and water rates. In the case of Estepona in particular, it seems someone didn't do their sums right, because the town is effectively bankrupt!

I also understand that only those actually registered as resident in Spain are supposed to sign on the padrón, so town halls that encouraged non resident property owners to do so  were probably in breach of some law or other. No doubt it will all come out in the wash sooner or later, and the apparent discrimination will have to be resolved. Again, in the case of Estepona, it will most likely mean residents have to pay 60% more, rather than non residents getting the discount!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 May 2009 11:32 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi the doc,

Not being a "doc" myself, I don't have a "cure" for your petition problem.

But if things works the same as in the UK, find out who is in power locally, go and talk.

Get the local press involved, Spanish & English.............

If you can, get the empowered political party and the local press on your side.

They can help set up some sort of protest/petition, they will have the knowledge.

This whole situation sounds ludicrous to me, go sort it out!

You could end up the local hero!

Good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
05 May 2009 12:16 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The "empowered political party" are the bozos in the town hall calling the shots. Conflict of interests, methinks!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 May 2009 12:19 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Rob  Good to 'see' you again. (Don't mention we were off the air, for Gawd's sake, will you ? Bit of a nightmare all round).

Like 0      
05 May 2009 12:39 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Ooh, those lips sent a shiver down me spine!

Since we're on this thread, do you think maybe Justin hasn't paid his taxes?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 May 2009 12:42 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

This message was last edited by morerosado on 05/05/2009.

Like 0      
05 May 2009 12:56 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

This message was last edited by FibbyUK on 05/05/2009.

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Security Deposit - 0 posts
Hi Everyone from Lisa at Spectrum FM 105.5fm - 0 posts
Title Deeds Insurance - 1 posts
Attn Bobaol - 0 posts
rapp - 16 posts
Hi All - 3 posts
Phase 1 : Release of remaining blocks - 1 posts
As soon as more complete! - 2 posts
Renting in Spain - 0 posts
Man & Van needed Gatwick to Murcia - 0 posts
Driving with children - 8 posts
Free Property Management Information???? - 1 posts
Car insurance in Spain - 2 posts
Petition To remove the PM - 17 posts
FREEZER TO SPAIN - 5 posts
Car hire under 21 - 9 posts
Buying a car in Spain - 7 posts
Toyota Yaris for Sale - 0 posts
Van or pick up with driver/labourer needed - 0 posts
Brilliant News folks - 2 posts
QUESTION FOR MARIA - 1 posts
Community Deeds - 5 posts
Happy story about agent and buying in Spain - 13 posts
Olvera, Cadiz information urgently required! - 7 posts
Anyone know a good place to buy a Beagle Pup - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x