:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi all

Question please

We need a new TV, if I just bowl down to Gibraltar and buy one and then declare it at customs on the way back, what would we be asked to pay?.

Steve

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 11:52 AM by bluesy Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Why bother getting your TV in Gib - they are cheaper in Spain, if you look around, and no hassle bringing it through Customs

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 12:20 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Carrefour have a particularly good offer on at the moment see this link

32" lcd tv with built in TDT receiver and HDMI ready...

Can also be used as a computer monitor in vga mode up to 1024x768.

279 Euros now why couldnt I have waited a couple of years...ah yes thats right impatient; got to have it now...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 12:52 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Foxbat, Blusey

This might sound silly, but I dont know

Are the instructions, remote controls etc all in Spanish?, I guess you change the TV to English through Set Up, all the on screen insructions would be in Spanish to I would think

Just seemed like a good idea, we are only an hour away from Gib, I remember 2 years ago going there to buy a laptop for a friend, we got a top of the range Sony for £300, brought a carry case, left the box in the shop and hey presto,back to Spain.

Clearly it would arouse a certain amount of intrest if we were to arrive at the border with a 42 inch monster new and boxed,but if any one knows what the tax would be i would be grateful. I will try and find some Gib prices on tinternet.

Steve

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 1:17 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Hi;

Remote controls are invariably in English.

User manuals are normally multi-lingual.

OSD Language can normally be changed through SET-UP.

BTW; Given that many of todays TV's have a built in TDT receiver it is worth noting that you can normally change the audio language to English/American if the original programme was so-formatted, though there are a few notable exceptions. Canalsur for instance isn't normally changeable despite showing dual language capability. Also remember if the original soundtrack was in a language other that English if you chjange the language setting you will get the original whether it be French, Italian, German or whatever...

Something else we find with dual language TDT broadcasts particularly from Ant 3, Neox and Nova is that when you use the language change facility all you get are the sound effects; all the spoken audio is missing on the alternate language...

Have no idea what the customs duty would be bringing stuff in from Gib; its too far away for me to even consider doing it. i would think though that there is little to be gained in buying TV's in Gib. I find that things are generally much cheaper by shopping around Spanish stores on the internet.

fb

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 1:31 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Just thinking on the subject of import duties etc;

I would think the very least you should expect to pay would be VAT (IVA) at 16%...

fb

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 1:56 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Foxbat

Thanks for your info.

I was all right with the first three sentances of your first reply.........

Then i remembered why I was going to Gibraltar

Steve

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 11:54 PM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

hi Team GB.

A very interesting post, and one that leads to a lot of confusion and miss-understaning, and sometimes a heafty tax fine upon re-entering spain.

Although cheap petrol / fags / booze can be bought in Gib, ( and why not take advantage of it ), Electrical goods can be, ( due to the increase of internet shopping) purchased for similar money, or indeed cheaper in spain, or on your computer and have it delivered to your door in s.pain

Maybe you can get the odd good deal in gib for a laptop / toaster / iron. However - if smuggling, the Guarda civil can be a little ruthless with you,. i did read once they kept a british family at the border for hours trying to bring in a laptop.

however thats that..

here is a website that i have used in the uk and in spain.

its called pixmania.co.uk

and the spanish one is  http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/home.html?track=cs&trackid=9&dtr=20090324123429&sess=229a35b06f0ceeef06ed2e470eda29b1

they deliver to spain ( only from the spanish website ) and i haev found them not only highly  competitive, but supply a good service.

if your spanish isnt too hot, then you could open to windows, one in pixmania.co.uk and the other .es, and browse the goods that way

hope it helps

this is the direct link to the tvs =  www.pixmania.com/televisores/eses3_8_pm.html

warm rgds

This message was last edited by jeffcoo on 3/23/2009.

This message was last edited by jeffcoo on 3/24/2009.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2009 7:19 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Jeffcoo

Thanks, this will do nicely.

Will post how I get on.

Steve

Like 0      
24 Mar 2009 11:57 AM by bluesy Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Foxbat - the TV I bought in Spain has the remote in English, although 90% of the buttons are pictures anyway. The manual was in about 8 languages including English and the onscreen menus has a vast choice of languages too

The TV was 150 euros cheaper than the best deal in Gibraltar - and I've got a guarantee that will be honoured in Spain if something goes wrong.

Have a look at the Spanish EBAY as well - lots of new TVs on there at good prices, and delivered to your door

Like 0      
30 Mar 2009 2:07 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

bluesy;

quote:

Foxbat - the TV I bought in Spain has the remote in English, although 90% of the buttons are pictures anyway. The manual was in about 8 languages including English and the onscreen menus has a vast choice of languages too

The TV was 150 euros cheaper than the best deal in Gibraltar - and I've got a guarantee that will be honoured in Spain if something goes wrong.

unquote..

Err...isnt that what I said?

fb

Like 0      
30 Mar 2009 2:18 PM by bluesy Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Hey FB - sorry - you did say SOME of it - but can't find anything about the buttons on the remote being pictures, or the cost of TV in Spain - sorry if I repeated some of what you said, but guess it doesn't hurt to get the same thing from different sources, does it?

Bluesy

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Are there ANY interest only mortgages available now? - 2 posts
Help - 0 posts
Community Statutes & Management Contract - 5 posts
Snagging !!! - 8 posts
INTERNET WITHOUT THE NEED FOR TELEFONICA - 1 posts
Can you ditich your Landline? - 5 posts
How to register with a dotor. - 5 posts
Can anyone recomment a good reliable plumber - 4 posts
BG and The Lawyers Responsibility - 72 posts
King size mattress For Sale - 0 posts
anyone got money back from mirador or palmera yet - 12 posts
Community Statutes & Management Contract - 2 posts
“Obra Nueva” (End of Building work document) - 3 posts
learning Spanish - 1 posts
empadron in Coin - 0 posts
Coin Foreigners Department - 0 posts
Blues in Spain - 4 posts
We're going to be LIVE from Calahonda tomorrow - 9 posts
IMM2001 ( International Marketing Management 2001 ) - 0 posts
30' Motor Cruiser with Mooring - 0 posts
AVG ANTI VIRUS PROTECTION - 12 posts
Samsung F480 TOCCO Mobile Phone - Brand New - 0 posts
Year 2000 Hyundai Car 995€ or Swap Large Van - 0 posts
Would anyone be interested....? - 22 posts
"Living next door to Alice" - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x