Buying a Spanish car, is there any charges and who pays for them

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by twinmummy Star rating in Formentera del segur.... 82 posts Send private message

Hi there

I am looking at buying another car, the current one we have  is english registered and we are now looking at getting a spanish one, The problem is they are soooooooooooooo expensive. is this because the current owner has to pay a charge to transfer it or is that done buy the new owner, and how much approx does it cost/whats involved.

Any help would be grateful

many thanks

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 1:08 PM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar

They are expensive because the Spanish want too much money for them, simple. Some owners will pay the transfer fees, others will not but either way it is simple and you should have change from 150 Euro easily on a car just a few years old (unless its a Ferrari of course). If you buy from a dealer then the dealer should pay.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 2:36 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

twinmummy Hi,

We bought from an established S/H dealer in Granada; the price we paid was the price on the window; transfer charges were built into the sale price.

The procedure as I recall was a 300 Euro non-retunable deposit when we saw the car we wanted and took it for a test drive.

We then agreed to buy the car and the dealer then set about the transfer.

Two days later he phoned to say the transfer was complete and that he wanted the balance of a 10% deposit  (minus the 300euro up-front charge)  and that we should go ahead and organise the insurance.

I went off and arranged the insurance and took the cover note to the dealership and paid the balance of the deposit in cash (although a bankers draft would have been OK.)

He would not release the car without having seen eveidence of the Insurance.

Then two days later after he had completed the presales check of the vehicle he phoned again to say the car was ours and that we should pay the balance of the purchase price.

This we also paid in cash although a Bankers draft (or Credit Card) again would have been OK.

From start to finish the procedure took one week. the change of ownership was noted on the vehicle documentation and one year later we had our first road tax bill from our local Town Hall.

You should be aware that generally Insurance is expensive and that a UK no claims discount doesnt count out here. So you are effectively starting from scratch and have to build up a

Spanish No Claims Discount.

Despite having a 65% UK NCD, and fifteen years of Claim free experience (neither of which was taken into account), my first years premium for a 1.9Litre Diesel Renault Scenic was 550 Euros and that was just TPF&T.

hope this helps

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 2:44 PM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar

I guess it depends on your insurer. I have found that out here I pay less in Euros for car insurance than I paid in £'s in the UK and I was also allowed to transfer my full NCB over to my Spanish insurer. I guess the moral of this story is "Shop Around".

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 7:01 PM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar

we have a run around in Spain its a 1.2 Ford Fiesta Ghia, we shopped around for insurance using adverts out of the local english free papers , we found all of the insurance companys I spoke to very helpful. Most of them were able to give full NCD and some even provide provision for our youngest daughter to drive, even tho she was only 19 and only passed her test 6 months earlier.All this fully comp inc full roadside assistance for 230 Euros ,not bad really.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Baby clothes, - 6 posts
Going home? Car swop, genuine, not a dealer. spanish car wanted - 4 posts
Furniture for Sale (2 bed penthouse) - 2 posts
Furniture pack for sale (2 bed penthouse) - 0 posts
WANTED ROSETTA STONE (SPAIN) - 4 posts
Same Day Couriers - 6 posts
What was your chosen path/venture to buying a property in spain? - 9 posts
INHERITANCE TAX ON DEATH = NO SPOUSE EXEMPTION, THEY'RE TAXED ON 1/2 - 9 posts
cancer treatment -best hospitals? plus Funerals - 5 posts
opticians etc - 4 posts
costa de la luz aymonte/esuri huelva area villas - 0 posts
OUR PETITIONS - 6 posts
animal shavings for bedding in short supply new echo friendly animal bedding coming soon - 3 posts
Holiday homes for rent in the Costa Brava. - 0 posts
Sabinillas Feria - 1 posts
Car hire without CREDIT card ? - 9 posts
Non subscribing TV - 6 posts
Buying second hand cars in Spain - 7 posts
Baby baby baby I need help! - 4 posts
Carnival in Aguilas, Murcia - 6 posts
Getting an NIE number for a bed ridden relative - 4 posts
Sevilla: A wonder - 0 posts
Play area surface - 1 posts
Kingsize Bed Required - 0 posts
Beware new electricity billing system - 18 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x