satellite dish size

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by toucheyturtle Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Has anyone actually fitted a sat dish in the Los Altos, torrevieja area to receive freesat? i am just interested wether you would get away with a smaller dish. I have seen all the charts and what you need but curiosity killed the cat, and if i could get away with it obviousley i would like to fit a small dish.

Ta in advance

The Touche

Like 0      
08 Jan 2009 4:37 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

My neighbours have had a 1.15 installed but cannot get any freesat channels, just free to air.  In our area you need to install at least at 1.9.

Haven''t got the room also we don't seem to have a good connection for TDT at the moment.  Looks like we will have to go down the rebroadcasting route either Simulsat or Torresat who are offering free installation as a January Sale incentive

Like 0      
08 Jan 2009 4:53 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

erm..Freesat channels are free to air channels.....

Freesat is just an EPG that points to the free to air channels...some on the actual Freesat EPG, some only available on the NonFreesatMode EPG.

many freetoair channels are available on an 80cm dish (bbc news  for example), but not the key channels (BBC1,2,3,4 etc).

a minimum of a 1.45m dish would be required for the main freesat channels (BBC1, ITV1,2,3,4)...but not everything out be available reliably for 24/7

even with a 1.8 some channels would not be availabe 24/7 (BBC2,3,4 C4 FIVE) for example.....

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
25 Jan 2009 2:53 PM by Ukandy1 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Mr pcguy (or anyone else for that matter) I wonder if you could give some help with a couple of things if you would be so kind as our move date is fast approaching and I still have many things to solve.

Firstly if I am bringing a sky card and sky+ box out with me then I would just need a dish fitted if I am correct. Going to be in Benalmadena to a town house with roof terrace so what dish would I need and how much would it be to fit (roughly obviously)?. Also, would the dish and LNB be cheaper in the uk?

Finally (for now lol) would a netgear Wi-fi router be compatible with an adsl service over there or do I need a new one?

Oh and by the way does anyone have any any advice re broadband services over there?

Many thanks in advance

Like 0      
25 Jan 2009 5:20 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

yes a sky card with sky plus will work here in spain.
be careful if your card is part of a sky multiroom contract - sky dont like you taking the card to places where it shouldnt be, and letters will arrive, at the uk address where the card is registered, regarding your breach of the multiroom contract.

the number of channels you receive will be dependant on the sizre of your dish...80cm will get you about 50% of sky package channels.

for the free bbcs and itvs you will be looking at a dish size upwards of 1,4m, maybe 1.8m, or even 2,4m - expect to pay about 400, 700, 1200 repesctively for dish, stand, twin lnb and installation. they may be cheaper, if you can find them, but what about transportation costs!

do not go cheap and get a fortecstar 6 panel petal dish (sold by maplins). they are poor performers and have had some calls today from a few people whos fortecstar dishes have folded up on themselves in the winds.

netgears do work in spain, with most providers. if it does not you can get new wireless routers almost everywhere!

various broadband providers, telefonica (spains BT!), own and operate all the exchanges and most providers go through them. although at the end of the day best to see the local freebie newspapers as many telcos advertise special offers almost every week...and they try and discout the cost of calls to the UK...which may be useful to you.

hope this helps

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 6:17 PM by Jason05 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi all, 

Wondering if you ladies or gents can help me out with some information, 

Do i need to obtain a license from the Town Hall for a 1.9m dish?  

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 9:00 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

who knows...check with your local town hall....some require permission others do not....

but there is no thing as a 1.9m dish.......no one makes a 1.9m dish......

the real (professional) way to measure dishes is to measure the actual reflector size...not including the outer rim...including the outer rim adds the extra 10 cms)

but "cowboys" and some installers call dishes 1.9 to make them sound bigger than they actually area to make it sound like you are getting more for your money, ask to see the invoice of where they bought them......no one makes a 1.9m dish...and i think some townhalls wanted permission fo dishes greater than 1.9...so it will depend on their interpretation of the size....

for example specs for the famaval dishes are:

1.4 prime focus
Outside diameter: 1440mm x 1440mm
Relector diameter: 1330mm x 1330mm

1.8 prime focus
Outside diameter: 1940mm x 1940mm
Relector diameter: 1790mm x 1790mm

2.4 prime focus
Outside diameter: 2470mm x 2470mm
Relector diameter: 2290mm x 2290mm

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
14 Feb 2010 10:01 PM by Jason05 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks Satandpcguy, 

this information really helps, 

Q. do you provide fully packages and install?

I live in the Villamartin Area 

Thanks again 

Like 0      
15 Feb 2010 8:40 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

Sorry i dont cover your area (I am based in the North CB). You could see if lee-digital.com or a2sat.com cover your area....

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Receiving a PM - help needed please - 7 posts
ATMs at Alicante Airport? - 3 posts
Christmas Trees... - 3 posts
Taxes in Costaluz according to Aristotles. - 0 posts
Xmas request? - 0 posts
3-4 Month Property rental needed - 5 posts
Santander - 4 posts
summer holidays - 10 posts
house swap - 0 posts
Cheap phone calls in UK and abroad - 14 posts
house swap - 2 posts
Quality, Affordable Builder in Costa tropical region. All you building needs. Fluent Spanish - 0 posts
Stunning Off plan development/ plot of land for sale Jete/Almunecar Costa tropical - 0 posts
pub style or similar pool table wanted south spain - 0 posts
Getting a TV to spain - 13 posts
Mortgage rates in Spain have they come down? will they come down? when? - 12 posts
Is telemicro back? - 10 posts
stray dogs Granada - 4 posts
pilurini - 0 posts
Setting up a (very!) limited company? - 2 posts
Iberdrola charges? - 20 posts
Just Testing - 0 posts
can you help? - 2 posts
Box Van Trailer Wanted - 0 posts
translation of community rules document - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x