Driving a Scooter in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by Luci&Col Star rating in Staffordshire. 29 posts Send private message

Luci&Col´s avatar
Hi all,

Me and Luci have just got back from Gib after looking for some property and have settled on Alcadesia to live. However we (or i am not at least) happy to drive down to la linea and park up every day as its a nightmare and am looking at getting a little 50cc scooter to wizz down the hill and across the border everyday. Now i have been trying to find out what exactly is needed etc some sites and posts say you need a licence, some say you dont, etc, if anyone can shed any light on this then that would be great.

Do i need a full UK licence (ive read somethng about going to the local police station for a form which is a provisional type thingie!)
Do i need insurance

thanks all

Like 0      
26 Oct 2008 7:08 PM by jayce Star rating. 80 posts Send private message

yes you need a licence to drive a 5occ scooter, if you have a U.K. car driving licence I think that will cover you. If not you need to take a Spanish test, for a scooter its just a theory test unless this has been changed. Also you need insurance, can be difficult if you are young however we have used a company called Axa which does scooter insurance. If you cannot get insurance there is a government organization called consortium de suguros, not sure on spelling, which insures people that cannot otherwise get insurance, think they are based in Madrid, but you do it by phone and post. You used to be able todrive a scooter legally at 14, then 1they made it 16.I think you have to be 18 to carry a passanger. Traffico in Malaga have an english web site giving all the latest information

Like 0      
26 Oct 2008 8:00 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
If you already have a driving licence then that's all you need, plus insurance of course.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
27 Oct 2008 9:51 AM by buzylizzie Star rating in Gibraltar, Manilva a.... 192 posts Send private message

buzylizzie´s avatar
And don't forget to buy your scooter in Spain - you won't be able to drive one on Gib plates if you're not resident there.

Like 0      
27 Oct 2008 4:26 PM by Jet48 Star rating in Estepona / Great Yar.... 106 posts Send private message

Jet48´s avatar

I note you said whizz down the hill on your 50cc, just one thing, are you sure it will make it back up again.

Like 0      
28 Oct 2008 1:18 PM by buzylizzie Star rating in Gibraltar, Manilva a.... 192 posts Send private message

buzylizzie´s avatar
Jet48: That was actually a valid point - personally I wouldn't want to go to Gib from Alcaidesa and back every day on a 50cc. I would suggest buying at least a 125 - better still 250 four stroke - basically you'll kill a 50cc in next to no time - believe me - I know!

Like 0      
28 Oct 2008 2:48 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I saw the other day that you can buy a 125cc from Carrefour for as little as 800 Euros!  I think I'm right too in saying that you can still ride a 125 on a car licence.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
28 Oct 2008 2:55 PM by buzylizzie Star rating in Gibraltar, Manilva a.... 192 posts Send private message

buzylizzie´s avatar
I saw those too Justin - they seem a real bargain.

And, as you say, I think you can still drive one of these on a driving licence.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

No Water - 4 posts
im in hospital - 6 posts
impoting terrace furniture - 0 posts
deeds - 3 posts
deeds - 0 posts
Huma: Interest and Compensation or just your money back! - 1 posts
Costa Blanca North - 0 posts
Free guides to buying a property, healthcare/pensions and taxation issues in Spain - 0 posts
swap 2bed penthouse in costa del sol for uk property - 1 posts
Power of Thought - 38 posts
Ghost towns in spain - 1 posts
Finally I have handed my notice in - 15 posts
Mortgages - help! - 1 posts
HealthCare Dillema - 5 posts
Part exchange deals - 5 posts
The Emperor´s new cloth - 3 posts
Removals/Man with Van - 2 posts
New podcast posted on Bravachat - 0 posts
Alicante to Los Alcazares - 3 posts
Tomtom use in Spain ? - 25 posts
plusvalia tax - 8 posts
Painting garden and boundary walls. - 1 posts
swap 3 bed villa in dehesa de campoamor (luxury costa blanca) for house in uk (devon) pref) - 6 posts
Presidency - 6 posts
99 Land Rover Freelander RHD. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x