BANKINTER

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi,
a friend of mine has been recommended to use bankinter,
can anyone tell me what their charges are for maintaining
an account with them.

coolyes

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 7:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
BANKINTER CHARGES

Halifax charges nothing to maintain as long as you have 600€  in, generally. (Check out Halifax in search).

This message was last edited by morerosado on 9/30/2008.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 7:20 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Bankinter are like the other banks in Spain and charge for virtually everything including cheque cashing, provision of debit card etc.  Only good thing is they have completed the formalities for a non-resident account and I have had no problems with freezing accounts as others have reported. They pay my standing orders on time etc and don't charge when I transfer money over from UK like some other banks do.
Halifax, More?  What Halifax?  As they are going to close their UK branches and are being subsumed by Lloyds TSB, not sure if it would be a good idea to open an account with them at the moment.  I also had my Halifax card refused for a couple of days in Spain (unable to contact branch on the ATM) but rectified itself after 2 days when Lloyds TSB said it was taking them over.  Not sure if they are taking over Halifax international and also not sure of the rules in Spain governing foreign banks going to the wall and whether your money would be guaranteed to any level like the UK and Irish banks are doing.  Have heard rumours (only rumours, mind) of CAM and Bankcaja being affected by the current problems.  Hopefully, Spain won't be as bad as UK.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 7:38 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Well think I will stick with the Bank of Valencia have you heard anything about them, we have not had any charges from them and they seem to pay direct debits on time, but in this climate things could change.  Will just keep transfering money into my Nationwide flex account have not heard any rumours about them.  Pat

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 9:34 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Sorry, Pat, disappeared for a couple of hours because The Great Caruso was on TCM and Mario happens to be a wee bit of a hero of mine.  What a voice!  What a loss!  Brings tears to my eyes after all these years "Because You're Mine" still brings a lump to my throat and stardust in my eyes, and please don't even mention the rendition of Ave Maria with that young lad singing mezzo-soprano along with him.  Anyhoo, I digress........
No, haven't heard anything about Bank of Valencia but have read that Spanish banks, in general, are not so affected.  Also, coincidentally, just read an article that the Halifax/Bank of Scotland takeover by Lloyds TSB may be in jeopardy due to the rapid fall in Halifax shares.  Apparently the deal was made on a 60% - 40% split but, because the shares have dropped by 14% in Halifax, shareholders are now asking more like a 70%-30% split and Lloyds TSB may not carry out their takeover.  Bit of an embarrassment if the government has to step in and nationalise the Halifax after the Northern Rock/Bradford and Bingley deals.  It seems the £680 billion in Halifax would double the national debt if the government has to nationalise it.
My question is, I can understand those of us who have money in these banks could lose it if they go bust but what about those of us who owe the banks?  For example, if you have a few grand invested and it goes to the wall, you may lose the money.  What about those with mortgages who owe the bank?  If it goes bust, does the money you owe them become null and void as well?  I very much doubt it but wouldn't it be great?  Surely if someone takes over your debt (ie mortgage) they should be responsible for giving back the money you have in the account and not just a limit of £35K like at the moment.  Case 1.  You have £1,500 in the bank.  You have a mortgage of £65,000.  The bank goes bust so bye bye to your £1,500.  Is it also bye bye to your 65 grand debt?
Hmmm.......could make on this with a bit of luck.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 9:59 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Won't mention Halifax again, Bob.
-----------------------------------------------------

Just for Bob, Because You're Mine sung by Mario Lanza 

My dad idolised Mario Lanza so I was brought up on his songs.

A truly wonderful singer.

Click photo.

video

I love this one "I'll Walk With God" as it was one of my dad's favourites.

Mario Lanza - I'll Walk With God

EDITED TO SAY : Sorry, I digress. Back to Bankinter.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 10/1/2008.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 10:14 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Bob, Yes you had to listen to the Great Caruso brings back memories.   Yes that theory sounds good to me we have taken equity out of house in UK originally with Cheltenham and Gloucester, but now has been taken over bye Lloyds so if they go down will be very happy and nothing to pay back.     My savings will be safe elsewhere.  Sounds good to me.  But in the real world cannot see that happening  But who knows????????    Pat

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 10:24 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Just to stay off topic.
Please, More, don't say it was your "Dad's favourite" makes me feel old.  Plus pointless referring to any links to Mario Lanza as I have all, and I mean all, of his recordings and films which I play many times.  And "I'll Walk with God" on CD, good old fashioned vinyl plus the film "Student Prince" with Edmund Purdom (voiced by Mario) on VHS and DVD plus a copy of the little known Student Prince with Mario as the star which only went to video (now copied to DVD).  Listen to that and I defy anyone not to have dust in their eyes at the end. Anyone want a copy of Serenade, Seven Hills of Rome, That Midnight Kiss, Because You're Mine et al?  Got em all. 
3 Tenors? Pah! Amateurs.....
Is this really a banking thread?
Apologies, Justin.  Not like me to stray from the straight and narrow, must be the realisation that I'm being compared to Mores Dad that does it.

Another bottle. please nurse,  this one's empty..........

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 10:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
If you have an outstanding mortgage of 65k, and savings of 1,500 with the same institution, you will end up owing 63.5K to whoever assumes the debts of the bust bank. QED.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Oct 2008 10:27 AM by troyally Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hi

Do any of you know if the Euribor rate is due to be reduced any time soon ?

thanks

Ally

Like 0      
30 Oct 2008 5:19 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
The US cut rates by 0.5% yesterday; the ECB meets next week and is likely to follow suit. 
But hey, nobody has a crystal ball, even during the good times, and in these troubled times, who knows what's going to happen next?
And just because central banks cut their base rates, don't expect mortgage rates to follow suit. Nothing is that simple!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 4:17 PM by M11block Star rating. 179 posts Send private message

Does anyone know the best way of transferring money from a bank in Spain to England, it was very easy to transfer out but seems more difficult to put it back into English Bank.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 5:43 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Xe.com allow you to transfer funds both ways.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Running a bar/cafe in spain - 4 posts
Cleaner Required - 2 posts
FAO: Justin. Server/ PM problems? - 4 posts
MARKET GONE MAD - 13 posts
Room 101 for ex-presidents and vice presidents - 26 posts
Moped Wanted - Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Electric Bills - 19 posts
Finally its ours!! - 3 posts
can you buy tetralysal acne tablets over the counter in chemist - 0 posts
HELP PLEASE, lost my man with a van - 2 posts
Which way? - 15 posts
How to go about investigating a developer's financial position? - 4 posts
Let's ALL make a denuncia against Telmicro then. - 0 posts
looking to do karaoke and sell ice creem in the day - 1 posts
tv dishes - 1 posts
What a fantastic night! - 1 posts
Anyone heard of Asset Management Recoveries Barcelona? - 41 posts
Silver grey and black millipedes - 1 posts
swap villa in dehesa de campoamor (luxury costa blanca) for house in uk (devon pref) - 0 posts
UK TV with freesat - 34 posts
completion - 2 posts
Happy Birthday Fibby - 8 posts
Help With Nationwide Flex Account - 23 posts
New Road - 18 posts
Web hosting recommendations - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x