Room 101 for ex-presidents and vice presidents

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by jturner Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

jturner´s avatar

Yipee!! Retired from the board, guess who is still mad and helping the new administartor and board with the community issues and problems. Has the community file gone into the bin?... No! But nearly all handed over and explained.

Soon it will all be tranquil no more phone calls to contractors and emails to the administrator. No more disturbances through the night with neighbours bashing the door down complaining about nothing.

Is the gardener working are the cleaners leaving early where is the concierge is the pool going green? That all must have been a bad dream.

No more arguments with parasites and rule breakers. The future looks bright my ipod is charged and the cool  box is loaded with salmon sandwiches and beers. The sunglasses are on and the snazzy pirate shorts are out of the drawer. I'm off to the beach.................. Sod it summer is over! 

Philip

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 3:09 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar
I hope you enjoy your retirement! Your post did make us laugh - thank you.

Irene & Alan

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 3:18 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Irene, send me a PM about our meet please as you've forgotten.

Yes, it was a brilliant post & I was smiling too.

Enjoy those salmon sarnies & cold beers, Philip. 

I sourced you a keyring.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 5:17 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Philip - bad news I'm afraid.
You know how in the USA, when a President retires, he's still known as Mr.President for the rest of his life?
Well...........

I speak from experience. IT NEVER ENDS. You will start to feel like Patrick McGoohan in The Prisoner. You cannot escape The Village. It becomes a bit like Hotel California (you can check out any time you like, but you can NEVER leave)

Assuming you did a good job (you had a FILE, after all!) they will still come knockng, ringing, e-mailing etc., and the only way to deal with it is to completely divorce yourself from your own conscience and become as apathetic as the rest of the b*****ds - which you can't do, can you? NOOOOOO!!! Because you CARE, don't you? Because you want to live in a nice community, where everything works, where it's clean and tidy and everyone is happy.

Anyhoo....good luck, and enjoy your well deserved retirement!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 5:33 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
When it rained last week, the current vice-president (the new president has switched her routine of going away every weekend, to going away all week now - I wonder why?) asked me if we should turn the automatic irrigation system off. I agreed that would be a good idea. He then asked me to show him how to do this.

I reminded him that I gave both him and the president printed instructions when they took over, and also reminded him that it is the gardener's responsibility to adjust the programmer, as he's supposedly the one who knows how much water the plants need. Of course, the gardener is as much use as a chocolate teapot, so someone needs to ring the adminsistrator, who needs to ring the gardening company boss, who needs to tell his employee to get his act together (none of us are too sure what language the gardener understands) every time we think that maybe the timer needs changing......

But of course, none of this matters to me, because 
I AM NO LONGER THE PRESIDENT.

IT IS SOMEONE ELSE'S PROBLEM

I DON'T CARE.

But of course, I do, don't I? That's why I'm ranting about it here.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 6:05 PM by jturner Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

jturner´s avatar
Roberto,

The healing process is a long soul searching enigma, the little devil talking to you on one shoulder is dragging you to the dark side. (Ley de Propiedad Horizontal) The little angel on the other shoulder is very weak and requires copious amounts of booze to counteract this evil one.

You may also find that eating big breakfasts by the sea will help relieve the stresses of the old days. The angel will grow stronger given time and cervesa!

Philip

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 6:30 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Good advice. I've been trying to build up the weak angel's confidence by treating it to Bloody Mary breakfasts by the pool, kicking back and saying "who cares?" each time a neighbour points out that the grass looks a little yellow or the water isn't perfectly clean. But the little devil is spoiling it, by quoting Section 7:2 at us:-

The owner and the occupant of a unit shall not carry out in such unit or in the rest of the building any activities not permitted in the community statutes, or which may cause damage to the property or contravene the general regulations concerning inconvenient, unhealthy, noxious, hazardous or unlawful activities.

Can he really get us on this one, or are we just being over-paranoid? Surely not giving a damn any more and drunkenly yelling "I'm free-hee-hee!" doesn't constitute "noxious" behaviour, does it? Am I being "inconvenient" to others by not giving a toss? It wasn't me who p*ssed in the pool, but by not doing anything about it, am I complisent in "unhealthy" activities?

How can I let go? Please help!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 8:29 PM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

Any suggestions from you seasoned pro's on how our presidente can stop the numerous calls you all get to tell you something has broken or did you know there is a puddle in the garages?? Generally when the first call comes in Presidents react to sort it, so the further 6 calls most presidents get become quite irritating i assume. Any suggestions???

Ian Cook - Golf Gardens Miraflores - The best place to live on the Costa del Sol

"A day without sunshine is like.................night"

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 8:41 PM by jturner Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

jturner´s avatar
Well this is not difficult to solve you are on the right track you will get times where  "The worm will turn." Also the seagulls will follow the trawler!

I had cause to do a happy jig a la Bruce Willis in The last Boy Scout. That inevitable knock came to the door.  "Could you put the padel court floodlights on for us?

"Could you just hang on a minute." Closing the front door and a quick jig for about ten minutes and uncontrollable inane laughter. "Sorry the new president has the keys now."

"We tried his apartment but he is not home."

"Let me go and have a look I will see if I have got his phone number for you." Closing the front door again I could not manage a jig because I nearly p&%%#d myself. "I have got his email address."

"Oh! OK thanks. Why are you crying?"

So yes I fell foul of section 7:2 but the healing process begins and we move forward little by little the psychiatrist bills will diminsh in no time. In turn this reduces alchol consumption so this is win, win less money spent all round. The economic decisions we made during our presidency have held us in good stead.

All the lessons learnt from the book and the preachings of the statutes will be hard to let go, the gift of handing over your previous duties will hold some challenges for the new mug (president) but we have the tea shirt that has been kindly donated by Morerosado. I also have a keyring!

So do not become disillussioned with community life I am sure this thread will have many new contributors when they pluck up the courage and come out of the closet or as soon as their electric shock treatment finishes. So we will have an army of comrades on the thread.

I hope this has helped you?

Philip

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 9:01 PM by jturner Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

jturner´s avatar
Hi Ian,

Six Ha! I laugh at his/her measly six. Firstly his/her requirement to qualify for postings on this thread it is very necessary that he/she resigns first.

I think I am right in saying you cannot submit on this thread by proxy on his/her behalf without authorization.

My advice though would be to turn the mobile off. If they knock at the door this is the modus operandi of the presidential stalker. This is also one of the first signs of an early onset of rantitus.

As you may also be aware the madness begins!

Philip

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 9:46 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I'm beginning that long road to recovery already. Just reading your posts is really rather cathartic.

Our new president seems to have figured out a good way to deal with the stalkers. Previously, she used to go away to her "other" apartment along the coast every weekend. Since being elected, she has changed her routine - she now goes there for the week, only returning here on weekends - sometimes. Works a treat.

Why didn't I ever think of that one? (apart from the bleedin' obvious fact that I don't have anywhere else to go)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 12:55 PM by jturner Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

jturner´s avatar

Ian,

I think you phrased the question regarding irritating phone calls out of context. I am going to assume that your question should have been:-

"I used to get 6 phone calls a day which began to irritate me. How did you guys handle it?"

So on that basis I will try and give you an answer that is my own personal opinion. The amount of irritation will vary the governing factor for this how large was your community? If it is up to 50 properties the irritation level is quite high if you are in charge of a community with 222 properties 6 phone calls is quite low, my experience was with the latter figure so in the "silly season" with say 50 apartments rented out for holiday makers with a minimum of 4 persons per apartment that is an additional 200 people (savages) in the community so the phone calls become quite irritating and so do the owners who are complaining about the community rules not being observed these type of phone calls will continue through the night and day during July and August so I would at this stage of my former career called these phone calls irritating!

Is your community a new one were you the first president? The amount of phone calls depending on the size of the residence again will vary in irritation and volume. You will be required to resolve all the community issues building defects snagging for owners dealing with upkeep companies and new owners and the also the constant contact with the administrator about the same issues week in week out month in month out.

An older residence if you were the president would have resolved some of the problems, you will find out some of the problems have never been resolved and the new president will be tested by owners on these outstanding personal subjects to prove how stupid you are and complain evermore by phone.

Another factor is when you President or VP were you working did you have a day job or were you retired? Let me assume that you had a busy working life and your whole day is occupied with the addition of 6 phone calls. I say the whole day because you may be on the phone to any one caller for up to an hour or more you may have to telephone other people on their behalf for example the administrator so in reality the 6 phone calls can become an irritation.

Presidents generally speaking are unpaid volunteers. Their commitment to the good running of the community is tirless so of course you would in the begining respond to all the phone calls. On the other hand your president may have been elected from a community where nobody stepped forward for the position and has been elected by the owners name coming out of a hat from all those present at the AGM or EGM, so phone calls would not irritate them simply because the response would be. "Am I bovered."

This is where a simple begining of being commited and having a responsible attitude backfires on you. The phone call could be about some emergency in the community a flood where someone has left the bath water running or one of the elderly owners has had a fall or a renters dog has mauled someone.

Then as time goes by the phone calls that irritate presidents seem to increase exponentially a renter may telephone you at 3.00am in the morning asking if you have a spare key to their apartment as they had left the keys indoors and the managing agent will not answer the phone or someone telephones you during the night for a spare remote control to the underground garage or a battery will do if you have a spare one in your bedside cabinet drawer. These type of phone calls will test your resolve to the limit.

So what are the suggestions regarding irritating phone calls that you have enquired about?

Here we go! If you are a president or perhaps you are considering being president you will have to ask yourself many questions before you take on the role. Your motives may be in no doubt but do not let your heart rule your head. The presidents is the sole person in charge of all matters concerning community matters fiscal, legal and so on. You will have a board to help you. You may be lucky and be blessed with a good administrator and team around you and a community where everyone is a president(guardian) So if you are politically minded you can delegate the community issues to the administrator. A good administrator will have modern practices and software packages for the community finances and records of owners and community fee payments, systems of control that will enhance your communities future all the staff will speak Spanish and English this is helpful when you have meetings as has been pointed out by another forum member the community AGM and EGM will not be a circus owners will be digesting the information in both languages so your meetings end up being a more civil convocatory. 

You should also appoint a security watching company as soon as it possible at the next AGM or EGM have this on the agenda along with 3 or 4 budgets your time as president will be much easier if this gets passed by the majority of owners.

In this scenario you do not post your phone number in the community you place on the notice board an email address which is not your own personal one for obvious reasons where you will review any concerns, many issues that you will be asked to solve are not community matters. Have a standard template for your responses. What you will put on the notice board is the telephone number for the administrator along with the office hours. Owners will of course still want to talk to you regarding community matters when you are about in the community this goes with the territory you are the president you are responsible.

Your reward for any work that you have done for the community is how you see your own legacy to the owners when you leave your post as president or vice president. I consider that I was fortunate because owners were asking me to stay on rather than being booted out of office! This indicates that I must have made an impression for the majority of owners but you will never be able to please everybody! Alas the time does arrive when the irritations need to be handed over to the new blood for the good of the community.

So because I have had to make assumptions about your enquirey the subject can become complicated as is the case with most community matters.

To all readers please note that most persons posting on this thread are right so and so's regarding rules. Please do comment on the posts on the thread, but refrain from asking direct questions that belong on the serious discussions or new relevant threads which will I am sure be addressed by the forum members.

This thread is where former presidents and vice presidents have a real need to exorcise their conscience to recover from their labours!

Philip

Like 0      
08 Oct 2008 10:50 PM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

J Turner thanks for your response and advice, not having been a presidente i was simply asking the professionals, as it was something our presidents always commented on and it sprang to mind when this thread came up. so thanks for the words of wisdom i will pass them all on to our current presidente for his use. thanks to everyone that has contributed.

Ian Cook - Golf Gardens Miraflores - The best place to live on the Costa del Sol

Like 0      
08 Oct 2008 10:59 PM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

Sorry, honorary guys and gals just read through the threads again and realised i was simply not allowed into this inner sanctum of qualified ex-leaders of communities. Please accept my humble apologies for knocking on your email doors for advice to make life easier for those not in the know!!!!! Thank you all again for you words of wisdom that have been read, read again, inwardly digested and all traces of correspondence removed from my PC. nudge nudge wink wink.....

Like 0      
09 Oct 2008 10:38 AM by jturner Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

jturner´s avatar
You are welcome and thank you for your kind comments and apologies which are of course accepted. Please make sure you have deleted the cookies.

Philip

Like 0      
09 Oct 2008 6:31 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

We've just had a torrential downpour.
Judging by the white water rapids on the hill outside, there's really no need to pop down the garage to check - I'm confident, from past experience, that the water will not have reached the sills on my car's doors. 
Thank you No.5 for calling my mobile to let me know it's p***ing down. I noticed. Did you notice in the last minutes I am no longer responsible for the weather? Yes, I know the rain comes in to the passageway on your floor - that's because it's OUTDOORS. Did you know that on our (top) floor, we get all the cr*p off the roof every time it rains?
Thank you No.2 for using the lift, when we all know the shaft floods at the first hint of a downpour. Any chance you could have used the stairs, just in case? Never mind, you knew I'd be home, and that I am still a key holder. (Still having difficulty letting go - plus, the current Pres & VP have a habit of making themselves scarce, so it's actually in my own interest etc.etc.) Thanks everyone else for calling me - I'd have hated to miss the action. Thanks also for p***ing off as soon as I released No.2 from her self-inflicted incarceration, leaving me to wait for the nice man from Otis. Since I've got the PC on, I'll just knock off a few fuera de servicio signs to stick on the doors - would hate to bother anybody else at this late stage.
But wait - the President is home, I can see her lights on. I'll just ring her bell. And wait. I'm not going away. I know you're in. 
Eventually the door opens a crack. Is that Jack peering out? NO! It's the President. Ahhh. So you were here all along, while everyone was panicking in the corridor? No, no, not to worry, it's all sorted now. I just wanted to let you know that I've dealt with it, as usual, and you can go back to your soaps. And I'll go back to wring my socks out and pop into room 101 to relax a bit.

Feeling better already!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 5:23 PM by jturner Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

jturner´s avatar

Please delete.

This message was last edited by jturner on 10/12/2008.

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 5:35 PM by jturner Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

jturner´s avatar

I hope your socks are dried and the colours have not run. I am also so pleased to hear you are feeling much better. I have been convalescing in my weblog home. I had a relapse not dissimilar to your own due to owners running around like headless chickens screaming “The king is dead. Long live the king!.................. Who is the new king?”

During my visit at  weblog lodge Portmeirion They threw me off the sack trolley into my room the décor was a bit bland very minimalistic the floor padding was quiet comfortable to sleep on once I had removed the stupid jacket.  I had some good and bad days the morning started with a big bowl of credit crunch followed by breakfast doom and gloom news.

The bad days were horrible the medication made me very hallucinogenic I had these wild dreams about article 7:2 the article was displayed on a blue screen back projector with nasty images of green swimming pools and dry grass with rubbish strewn all over the place and John and Yoko dancing around in white kimonos and images of Woodstock. The eye clamps were really uncomfortable and the four burn marks from the electrodes were very sore, some aloe vera after sun was very soothing during the night when I tried to get some sleep.

My room number when the nice men take me there is number six if you would like to visit drop in anytime number one. When you arrive though they will request information and constantly ask you “why did you resign?”

My ranting about a cyborg podenco from the future trying to terminate the reverse engineering program that I had stumbled on probably had something to do with the constant questioning, “we want information. Information! Information.”

For more information see weblog “Armageddon the Mk DCLXVI”

Last thing I remember, I was Running for the door I had to find the passage back To the place I was before ’relax,’ said the night man, We are programmed to receive. You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!

Philip

This message was last edited by jturner on 10/13/2008.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2008 5:43 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
RAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARGHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember my mate at No.5? He's the bleedin' Woolyback referred to here

Ah, that's better, the couch in here is sooooo comfy!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Apr 2009 12:54 PM by jturner Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

jturner´s avatar

The AGM is due and the debts are humungus! The largest share of the debt is the developer not paying the community fee on the empty properties still owned by them and not sold yet.

The new board are trying to recover the debts from the non payers. They are using all the the legal means at their disposal the new administrator is a lawyer which is great for the community.

But alas it looks like the payers are having to stump up the shortfall with a continuation of the additional emergency 50% community fee payments to keep the ship afloat.

Do not rub your eyes 50% extra 6 months of extra payments so far all due to the promotors appointed administrator. It has been discovered now that all the paperwork has been viewed he was not paying for the community insurance etc. etc.

I am keeping my fingerers crossed that the proposal of a discount on the fee for payers is voted through on AOB!

Philip

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Moped Wanted - Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Electric Bills - 19 posts
Finally its ours!! - 3 posts
can you buy tetralysal acne tablets over the counter in chemist - 0 posts
HELP PLEASE, lost my man with a van - 2 posts
Which way? - 15 posts
How to go about investigating a developer's financial position? - 4 posts
Let's ALL make a denuncia against Telmicro then. - 0 posts
looking to do karaoke and sell ice creem in the day - 1 posts
tv dishes - 1 posts
What a fantastic night! - 1 posts
Anyone heard of Asset Management Recoveries Barcelona? - 41 posts
Silver grey and black millipedes - 1 posts
swap villa in dehesa de campoamor (luxury costa blanca) for house in uk (devon pref) - 0 posts
UK TV with freesat - 34 posts
completion - 2 posts
Happy Birthday Fibby - 8 posts
Help With Nationwide Flex Account - 23 posts
New Road - 18 posts
Web hosting recommendations - 15 posts
Double glazing windows - 1 posts
Help needed with setting up a bank transfer to pay taxes - 5 posts
costa brava - 1 posts
valle ramano - 1 posts
looking for work - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x