Running a bar/cafe in spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by shaneskkk Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi

I have been looking at a few bars or cafe/bars in Costa del sol area with a view to paying for and leasing one and running it. Does anyone have any tips, information, help, advice etc to give and help me if i was to sign and buy to live and work a bar??...I look forward to any advice Thanks ..Shane

Like 0      
23 Oct 2008 8:59 AM by fortwo Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi your gonna have to offer something really special there are hundreds closing every week

Like 0      
23 Oct 2008 1:05 PM by landcrab Star rating in Oslo/ Costa-del-Sol. 5 posts Send private message

My advice is don't unless you have run your own bar, the fact that you have to go to a forum to ask for tips/ info shows that you should stick to dreaming.

Like 0      
23 Oct 2008 2:26 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

I dont agree with the negative comments.....Now is not the right time to open a bar, and yes hundreds are closing down because of lack of tourists and everybody here spending less. However when things improve providing if you find a really good location etc go for it. The worst thing many bar owners do is drink !!! that is something you have to watch. A bar is the same as any other business, its hard work, the standing behind the bar serving drinks is a small part of it,  I am speaking from experience, I have had my own bar, restaurant which I sold two years ago. It was built up from nothing, the first year is the hardest , getting established and learning what works etc. Of course you can buy an existing business, but don't believe what the sellers tell you, sit outside that bar for a week and check it out yourself. Check with the town hall any plans they might have for the area etc, new roads etc which may leave you cut off. But wait a couple of years unless you come across a geniune bargain.

Like 0      
23 Oct 2008 4:13 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I agree with gwm - there's no need to be totally negative, but you should be realistic.

It's true, there are loads closing down or desperately trying to sell, and the choice is enormous. Many appear to be bargains, but remember the old adage, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. If a business is going for a song, it's most likely because it's not a good business. If someone is selling a bar for 15 grand, chances are it isn't netting them that much in a year - in which case they're surely struggling to make an adequate living.
If an existing business is not doing particularly well, it doesn't necessarily mean that with a lot of hard work and determination you couldn't make it succeed, but have a long hard think about what factors will be important to your success. You don't have to have experience in catering, just some common sense.
Location location location - obvious really, but easily overlooked. It really is important. Unless you have a stunning concept that will draw the crowds, you will depend largely on passing trade, so make sure there is plenty. 
My advice also would be to try to stay away from areas that are totally dependent on tourist trade, since the season can be surprisingly short. If you can successfully tap into an established ex-pat community, much better. Better still, is to capture some Spanish custom as well, but this can be very hard, especially if you don't yet speak Spanish. 
In many ways a drinks only night bar may be the easiest option (no cooking, no coffees etc.) but this comes with it's problems. If you are young free and single (??) it may appeal for obvious reasons, but trust me, if you just want to have fun, you're far better off staying on the public side of the bar. If you want to make money out of other people drinking, partying and enjoying themselves, you must be very disciplined and keep focused on business. It's hard work, and often not much fun at all.
A day time cafe can mean very long hours, but may be a whole lot less stressful. 
Another important thing to bear in mind, is all the regulations that govern bars and cafes etc. It's not like the good old days any more, when so long as you didn't upset anyone, you were left to do pretty much whatever you liked, and nobody bothered with such petty things as licences! Nowadays you have to be aware of rules on disabled access (esp. to toilets), sound proofing, closing times, smoking areas etc. etc. It's very easy to fall foul of the law, as small businesses are seen as a soft target for the authorities. 
Employ the services of a recommended gestor before committing to anything, to avoid buying into a ticking bomb.

Again, agreeing with gwm, now may not be the ideal time (credit crunch etc.), but whenever you choose to embark on such a venture, make sure you are not under-capitalised. By that I mean, ensure you have enough money set aside to not only buy and stock you business, but see you through the first 6 months at least, in case there are any unexpected nasty surprises, and to give yourself a fair chance of building up some regular trade, rather than being dependant on making a profit from day one.

A couple of other things I've just thought of:
Unless you buy a freehold property, you will have rent to pay on the premises. For reasons which I have never been able to understand, most leasehold businesses when advertised for sale, neglect to mention what the rent will be for a new tennant. This is really important, since it's likely to be one of your biggest outgoings. 
And finally, don't trust anyone, least of all agents! Do NOT hand over cash for a deposit to an agent operating out of his car with a mobile phone. Sounds obvious? Maybe, but it's sometimes the most obvious things which get overlooked.

Good luck!

This message was last edited by Roberto on 10/23/2008.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cleaner Required - 2 posts
FAO: Justin. Server/ PM problems? - 4 posts
MARKET GONE MAD - 13 posts
Room 101 for ex-presidents and vice presidents - 26 posts
Moped Wanted - Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Electric Bills - 19 posts
Finally its ours!! - 3 posts
can you buy tetralysal acne tablets over the counter in chemist - 0 posts
HELP PLEASE, lost my man with a van - 2 posts
Which way? - 15 posts
How to go about investigating a developer's financial position? - 4 posts
Let's ALL make a denuncia against Telmicro then. - 0 posts
looking to do karaoke and sell ice creem in the day - 1 posts
tv dishes - 1 posts
What a fantastic night! - 1 posts
Anyone heard of Asset Management Recoveries Barcelona? - 41 posts
Silver grey and black millipedes - 1 posts
swap villa in dehesa de campoamor (luxury costa blanca) for house in uk (devon pref) - 0 posts
UK TV with freesat - 34 posts
completion - 2 posts
Happy Birthday Fibby - 8 posts
Help With Nationwide Flex Account - 23 posts
New Road - 18 posts
Web hosting recommendations - 15 posts
Double glazing windows - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x