Web hosting recommendations

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
My 5 domains are hosted on an unreliable free webhost. The sites are regularly down for hours at a time and the support is non existent. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much as it is free after all. However, im a little fed up with my email disappearing for hours on end and my websites vanishing into thin air.  Does anyone out there us a free/ reasonably priced hosting provider? I don't need much per domain, about 100mb of storage, about 1GB bandwidth, php, preferably Fantastico for ease of installation and 1 sql database per domain. SMTP would be good, but I only really need it on one domain, so long as I can set up re- directs on the others.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Mark

Like 0      
29 Sep 2008 8:01 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
Hi, have a look at Blackfoot, that's who I'm using for the website we are developing, on the recommendation of my brother, who does websites for a living. So far we've not had any problems. It's not free but it is cheap. 

http://www.blackfoot.co.uk/ 

Jacqui

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2008 8:27 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I've used 123-reg for over 5 years and had no problems whatsoever.

Not free though.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
29 Sep 2008 8:38 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar
Hi Mark,

Try   www.1and1.co.uk   never had any problems and seem reasonably cheap to me!

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
29 Sep 2008 11:14 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Try www.fasthosts.co.uk

Have been using them for years.  Excellent support and up time.

If you are doing SEO on your site be wary with 1 and 1 as their servers are in Germany, which can hamper your SEO efforts for UK traffic.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
29 Sep 2008 11:25 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar
Interesting!!!!  Good to know!

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
29 Sep 2008 4:41 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I shall start having a look later in the week.

Mark

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 9:57 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I finally found a new host , eukhost, which is well priced and allows me to put all of my domains on the one account. They are all Joomla based accounts, so the service they offer of moving your site across is great as re- installs can be a pain sometimes to move across. I bought the hosting last night, made some mistakes in the transfer process which meant customer service couldn't do anything until 7am this morning and by 10am it was up and running. I have just changed the nameservers, so hopefully by tomorrow it should be showing on the new host . The temporary url they have provided loads much quicker than my other one which was across the pond, so hopefully visitors may want to stay a bit longer (and I may get some bookings )

Mark

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 11:31 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Great stuff Mark.  Hope it works well for you.  Load speed is certainly a factor which helps people stick around!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 2:38 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
So, being the SEO guru Justin, why does it make a difference to Google that my new host has servers in the UK?

Mark

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 6:50 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Unlike the (easy) old days, the search results today are based on the location of the where the person is searching from.

For example, if you are in the UK and want to find the best Pizza restaurants, you don't want to be presented with a list of US pizza places when searching on Google.  You want UK ones. 

Search results today are therefore geo-targeted so that you are always presented with the results most relevant to you and where you are.

It really DOES make a big difference in the rankings. 

It also helps to submit a sitemap to Google webmaster tools and you can actually tell Google what country you are targeting there.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2008 7:06 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Thanks for that Justin. So that puts us at a disadvantage for mainlnd Europe then? That said, I currently have good rankings on Yahoo but not so much on Google, maybe I ought to look at google.com to see if it ranks? The site is primarily for English speakers, but there is a small amount of content for French, Spanish (and soon Italian), so how is the best way to go about that then?

Mar

Like 0      
26 Oct 2008 8:35 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Mark, Google is all about links and if your site is new and in a competitive field then you need to get lots of optimised links pointing to your site and it can take a few months to get it ranking well.

Searching for "holiday almeria" Google brings up over 4 millions results, which means it is quite competitive.  With a niche site you should be able to get it to rank well but it's a bit of effort.

To be honest, there are many "long tail" phrases that you should be using too, which you can do by creating pages within your site for those phrases.

In terms of different languages, unfortunately your site has a couple of issues.  Firstly, although the text on the page changes, the menu remains in English.  This doesn't work well with Google as it assumed that if, for example, a French speaker lands on your French page, they won't know what to do next as everything else in is English.

You are better to copy the whole site over in another language (just use the google language translator to do this, it's good enough for ranking purposes) and place each language alternative under a folder such as "www.mysite.co.uk/francais".  Also, when you link to each folder make sure that the text in the link is in the language of that folder. 

There is lots you can do, it just depends how much time you want to spend on it!

Justin

Like 0      
26 Oct 2008 8:52 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

You are better to copy the whole site over in another language (just use the google language translator to do this, it's good enough for ranking purposes) and place each language alternative under a folder such as "www.mysite.co.uk/francais".  Also, when you link to each folder make sure that the text in the link is in the language of that folder.  

Ahh, there's method in my madness there Justin. Those pages are there primarily as landing pages from a web based advert. The foreigners I have had visit, either deal directly with my agent or they correspond in English. It is my token gesture to try and make them feel a bit more at home . I don't like the Google translator as it is too literal with the wording. Try translating a page from English to Spanish to English again and it makes very little sense!

I have noticed that there are a lot of sites on Google with keywords that I use, I don't even feature in the first 15 pages which isn't particularly good , although my old page is starting to show in the ranks now and has a Page Rank of 2. Funnily enough Yahoo shows many of my pages in the first 10 on a search. I'm getting there slowly, I don't ever expect to be up there with the likes of the rental companies, but word of mouth should help get it around.

Thanks for your input, it is interesting to learn.

Mark

Like 0      
26 Oct 2008 9:35 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Actually Mark, small dedicated websites can easily outrank larger very general sites for dedicated terms.  You CAN mix with the big boys out there!

Justin

Like 0      
27 Oct 2008 12:54 PM by Spondicious Star rating in Sta Cristina d'Aro, .... 15 posts Send private message

I see you have a hosting provide already but here is my 2 cents worth. I have been using Godaddy and it has been OK, sometimes I notice some slowness, perhaps because there are so many peopl eusing Godaddy. I have heard good things though about SiteGround. I will be staying where I am though as I have a number of domains and all on the one web hosting. So much easier to leave it all as it is.

If you are going into podcasting the get an account at libsyn is my recommendation there.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Double glazing windows - 1 posts
Help needed with setting up a bank transfer to pay taxes - 5 posts
costa brava - 1 posts
valle ramano - 1 posts
looking for work - 0 posts
Christmas in Benahavis - 0 posts
Please Help - Advise needed on Serious Problem with Spainish Lawyer - 2 posts
INTERNET CAFE - 1 posts
Arenal Duquesa 140,000 euros - 0 posts
Hello from Fuerteventura - 4 posts
freesat - 1 posts
Any news re: communal dish - 0 posts
Manilva Beach - 1 posts
Bankruptcy issues - 5 posts
Emergency phones in Spain - 0 posts
fiestas in Rojales, ?????????????? - 5 posts
The Big Bang - 5 posts
ITV Documentary looking for Brits moving to/living in Spain - 2 posts
Tax Query... - 4 posts
Property Management, Sales and Rental Agent - 0 posts
wifi Internet - 2 posts
Pool filter wanted - 1 posts
Handsfree? - 0 posts
Digital Canal + - 5 posts
Gestor near Moraira? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x