ferry to spain - only option ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by oh4hindsight Star rating in worcs. 14 posts Send private message

has anyone taken the long road to spain, by that i mean, if i cant take my tiny weeney pup in the aircraft, and she isnt going in cargo - i refuse to even think it.my only option is to do the journey by road/ferry.

has anyone done this route, even if for the purpose of moving possessions as against simply a way to take pet with dignity.

if so please give ferry routes that can get me to almeria region.

Like 0      
24 Sep 2008 11:34 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
Have a look at this thread:

http://www.eyeonspain.com/Secure/ForumPostsDesc.aspx?thread=573&dev=FB22&name=Taking%20pets%20to%20Spain 

I know the person said GB Airways take cats as excess baggage, maybe it's worth a call about small dogs?

hope this helps...................

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
24 Sep 2008 1:51 PM by randolph Star rating. 167 posts Send private message

Hi,

We travel ,by car, to Costa Almeria and back  twice a year.

We catch the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Le Havre. We dock at approx 7.00 and then travel all day and stay the night in the south of France - normally at Pau - then cross the Pyrenees the next morning and spend the next day driving through Spain.We avoid the tolls.
The advantages of this route is that we only have to pay for one night's accommodation, we see the Pyrenees in the morning light - wonderful ( done it in dusk before - just not the same).

I understand that with pets you may wish to travel at a more sedate pace with more stops - but the journey is straightforward and very scenic.

Just had a thought - try the Jaqui's blog - she travelled to Costa Almeria with 2 pups earlier in the year.

http://www.relocatetospain.blogspot.com/

This message was last edited by randolph on 9/24/2008.

This message was last edited by randolph on 9/24/2008.

Like 0      
24 Sep 2008 2:54 PM by Ricman Star rating in Hellin, Castilla La .... 104 posts Send private message

Hi,  We moved to Spain in July this year.  We drove all of our possessions here to Castilla La Mancha ourselves.  We booked a one way van hire from Salisbury and was able to drop back the van near Benijofar.  We didnt use the ferry (the mrs gets sea sick) so we travelled via the Eurotunnel.  It cost £49 for a late evening ticket.  We started off from home (Portsmouth) at teatime on the Monday,  went via Eurotunnel (Folkestone to Calais), we travelled through France overnight, and made it to Castilla La Mancha (Hellin) at teatime on Tuesday.  We arrived here a day too early (according to the family that was expecting us) but we did have some breaks and shared the driving the rest of the way.  If you need more details let me know and I'll forward them to you.

So the ferry is definitely not the only option!!!

Regards

Rich

Like 0      
24 Sep 2008 2:55 PM by dennismundy Star rating in Las Kalendas - Fortu.... 263 posts Send private message

When we moved out with our dog a couple of years ago we came out via the channel tunnel and made our way down the western side of France (avoiding Paris).
We took about four days and stayed overnight in hotels along the route. There were no problems accommodating the dog, they are more pet friendly than the UK. If you travel in the 'high' season it's best to book ahead at hotels but leaving it gives you more freedom if you want to press on.

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 9:20 AM by emma01 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

we've been looking into this ourselves as we have 2 cats to bring with us. if you you fly with ibiera they can come in the cabin with you from london and they only charge 50e for this although their flights are more expensive.Have a look at their web site. hope this helps.

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 4:46 PM by twinmummy Star rating in Formentera del segur.... 82 posts Send private message

Hi there

We have done this jouney twice two different ways, first we travelled with 5 month old twins from Manchester to Dover by Car, then crossed Dover to Calias by ferry, drove throughout France into Spain and down to the South coast Costa Blanca Torry area. Bit of advice, dont do it!, the drive througout France was horrible and I would never ever contemplate doing it again. It was stressful, hard work, dirty, and would give you a very wrong opinion of France, and you would vow never to go there again.

Second time when we finally moved out here, we drove from Manchester to Portsmouth with the car fully packed with all our things and mum and dad in the car behind us, with more of our stuff jammed into their car, we sailed across to Bilboa, we crossed in some bad weather and it didnt bother us too much, so if you come when it is calm you will love the sailling, its like being on a mini holiday whilst you are going to your new home. We then drove from Bilboa to our home and it was a lovely drive, the service stations are maitained to a high standard, people are friendly and you get the feeling right from the off that you have done tthe right thing of moving out here.

Dont forget if you, or anyone you know need anything made of metal (eg gates grills, stairs handrails etc) ask us for a quote. or visit our website.

Good luck and get back to me if you have any other questions

Bye for now Twinmummy

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 11:50 PM by coast-almeria Star rating in Mojacar. 71 posts Send private message

Hi,

I went to Almeria on the Portsmouth-Bilbao route and the journey down to Mojacar was lovely, I landed at 16.00 and was in Mojacar at 01.00, with a really easy journey except for the fog around Madrid.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your live in Almeria, the best Costa

Regards

Coast-Almeria

Like 0      
27 Sep 2008 10:08 AM by feelthelove Star rating in anywhere it's quiet .... 15 posts Send private message

thanks for the info on GB Airways, sadly they are now ownwd by  Eastjet  and they wont take pets, at a push maybe in the hold but theyre not keen on pets fullstop, or the people i spoke to implied it.

as for Iberia, I did find on their website they will allow tiny dogs to travel like cats in the cabin, but they have no email address to enquire.It would be nice to email them a pic of the pet so they can confirm that the dog is suitable for cabin travel, because yes some pets  (eg an alsation) wouldnt  be suitable, and if i had a pet that i deemed wouldnt be i wouldnt even been considering this - so its being honestly logical to be fair to other passengers. God knows kids can be a pain on flights as we all know.

If anyone has been able to find an email address for Iberia please post it, so far i've had no luck.

For anyone possibly thinking of Portugal, I know TAP Executive allow pets in cabin, but thats for Lison & Faro, and not Spain.

PS: I see the world differently  -  Pets are people in fur coats  - if only others took this view, then people wouldnt see them as cargo.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2008 10:54 AM by emma01 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

you are so right pet are people in fur coats. if our cats couldn't come with us then we would'nt go!!! i have to agree that it would be a lot easier with out them but that is not an option!! we decided that for us simlpy for the worry of getting at heathrow airport and some english jobsworth telling us that our babies are not allowed in the airport we have decided to put them in the hold and worry that they are ok!! Monarch seem to be the cheapest and are very helpful.I have the number for there cargo dept if you want it,they'll get pets and any other cargo all on the same flight for you.

Emma.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2008 1:10 PM by Ricman Star rating in Hellin, Castilla La .... 104 posts Send private message

Hi feelthelove,

The email for iberia airlines is ibplus@iberia.com 
I just found it on their website. 

Like 0      
27 Sep 2008 8:54 PM by coast-almeria Star rating in Mojacar. 71 posts Send private message

When I moved to Switzerland I was allowed to take my cat in the cabin, however when I came to Spain from the UK I had to put them in the hold, my youngest was petrified I now wish that I had driven over with them, I felt so guilt when I collected him from the cargo area I could hear him 500 m away.  If you can do the drive, most hotels on the motorway are pet friendly.

Like 0      
28 Sep 2008 1:09 PM by feelthelove Star rating in anywhere it's quiet .... 15 posts Send private message

thanks for the info on monarch, but just cant/wont go hold option.

a bigger thanks for the iberia email, know idea where you got it from, i searched high andlow on the 'contact us' link and just kept getting a uk phone number and address. was it on the spanish web? i didnt look there as i thought it would all be in double dutch. anyway sincere thanks.

guess if none of the above suit we will be into the car/sea routes, but there is no way i can but my baby in the hold, i would not be able to leave the plane if something happened as my baby would be left behind all alone helpless and condemed to death. sorry may sound foolish, but i am strong enough to go down with ship rather than walk away and relive the horror of leaving my babay behind.

i have to go now i;m starting to weep.

Like 0      
28 Sep 2008 2:12 PM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar
Don't weep! There will be a way through this. We have travelled two Summers from Scotland to Murcia with 2 adorable King Charles spaniels for 3 night stops in Etap hotels and have seen lots of people with dogs and cats. We use the channel tunnel and they were with us all the time. Really easy and NO hassle. They boys are more difficult than the animals. 
A neighbour across the road put her 3 legged tiny dog on a flight to be met by her daughter in July with Monarch. No problems- it cost her £800!
Best wishes

Daveil

Like 0      
28 Sep 2008 2:52 PM by Ricman Star rating in Hellin, Castilla La .... 104 posts Send private message

Hi feelthelove,

I just went on www.iberia.com then clicked on contacts and faqs, then clicked on 'iberia plus service centre'  at the bottom of this page is the email, telephone, address etc.

I hope this helps and they are able to answer your questions for you.  Good luck!!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

flying with pets - 9 posts
Deeds of sale signed in the presence of a non Spanish Notary - 0 posts
Anyone know anything about apart-sol estate agent - 0 posts
SUMAS - 15 posts
recomendations of a good estate agent in riviera del sol - 0 posts
Financial crisis in personal terms - 1 posts
BEWARE.......another con.............. - 19 posts
Aifos Torreblanca - 0 posts
Success! - 9 posts
Should you complete without a habitation certificate? - 77 posts
Good morning every one! - 9 posts
bank guaruntee - 66 posts
LHD car wanted. RHD to sell. - 0 posts
How Much Tax Do I Pay ?? - 9 posts
Hallo - 1 posts
5% Retention - 2 posts
Pool Table - 5 posts
Aifos Mail on Sunday Article - 10 posts
BUSINESS PARTNER - 0 posts
Newbie from Guardamar - Sky TV - 1 posts
We've moved in .... - 20 posts
Purchase of spanish apartment - 1 posts
Hi everybody - 5 posts
Television Licence - 5 posts
Newe member - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x