5% Retention

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by moiraandian Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Friends of ours who already owned a property in Spain and are resident here, bought another apartment a few years ago.
Amongst other costs was a charge of 5% for  'Retention'.  We cannot agree whether this charge should eventually be returned to them and if so by whom.  If not, what is it actually for?
Thanks for any information.

Ian.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2008 12:19 PM by spainops Star rating in Benidorm, Spain. 21 posts Send private message

I believe its retained to cover any unpaid capital gains. I think it's 3% now - but was 5%

I sold and made a loss on the property - you need to get a Gestor to claim it back. It takes ages though - I had to wait about 18 months,

Like 0      
22 Sep 2008 5:29 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Was this "retention" on the sale of the original property? Your post is a little unclear.  Did they sell one and buy another?

The 3% (previously 5%) retention against possible CGT is only for non-residents. If your friends are genuinely residents, this should not have been withheld. Of course, it would have been up to them to prove their resident status at the time. If they were resident and sold their principle residence, and reinvested all the proceeds in another property, they should not be liable to any CGT anyway. If they were not legally resident, then they would be liable for CGT on any profit made on the first property. If the 5% amounted to more than their liabilty, they should be able to claim back the difference. They would also need to check the dates, because the law changed (not certain when), reducing the retention to 3% and the CGT from 35% to 18%, but took time to be implemented, so some non-residents paid more than they should have, and can now claim back the difference. (theoretically!)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Pool Table - 5 posts
Aifos Mail on Sunday Article - 10 posts
BUSINESS PARTNER - 0 posts
Newbie from Guardamar - Sky TV - 1 posts
We've moved in .... - 20 posts
Purchase of spanish apartment - 1 posts
Hi everybody - 5 posts
Television Licence - 5 posts
Newe member - 3 posts
EASYJET HAVE CANCELLED A FLIGHT! - 33 posts
wealth and income tax - 127 posts
TDT TV guide - 3 posts
Parcela - 7 posts
Digital TV - 0 posts
Hi New member - 2 posts
printed merchandise - 1 posts
Hi Everyone, can anyone help me with Self-Cert mortgage info? - 3 posts
Trampolin Hills, Trampolin Solera, the company and it's Directors - 6 posts
looking for a serious business partner - 0 posts
Mo Anthony - 2 posts
Were you going through Arriba Homes to buy your Santa Ana (San Jose) property? - 0 posts
Enguera - 5 posts
What happen with my money if my Bank goes bust? - 12 posts
Free flight Faro LondonSat 11th October - 0 posts
RED HOT HOMES - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x