BEWARE.......another con..............

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Recieved this today................................................................................

Hi,

Pardon me for not having the pleasure of knowing your mindset before making you this offer and it is utterly confidential and genuine by virtue of its nature.

I write to solicit your assistance in a funds transfer deal involving US$ 3.5M.This fund has been stashed out of the excess profit made last year by my branch office the International Commercial Bank which I am the manager.

I have already submitted an approved end of the year report for the year 2006 to my head office here in Accra-Ghana and they will never know of this excess.

I have since then, placed this amount on a Non-Investment Account without a beneficiary. Upon your response, I will configure your name on our database as holder of the Non-Investment Account.

I will then guide you on how to apply to my head office for the Account Closure/ bank-to-bank remittance of the funds to your designated bank account.

If you concur with this proposal, I intend for you to retain 30% of the funds while 70% shall be for me. Kindly forward your response to: akatony101@verizon.net

Mobile: +233-24-468-5072

With Regards,

Dr.Anthony Aka

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 2:19 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
With Regards,

Dr.Anthony Aka
......................"A  Conman" no doubt!

Hope you are feeling brighter today Karensun x

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 2:20 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Well you know what to do with that Karen.   I remember a few years ago receiving a letter like that asking for funds from Ghana I just binned it, but I did wonder if I should have taken it to the police, but I doubt they would have done anything.      Pat  

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 3:02 PM by dennismundy Star rating in Las Kalendas - Fortu.... 263 posts Send private message

Well done you have been a recipient of one of the most commonest email scams of the century (this and the last)!
It is amazing that some people still fall for it.
I just report it to my email provider and list the user as a spammer!!

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 3:34 PM by chris.c Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

typical 419 nigerian scam. very popular here in the states!

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 3:36 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
So let me ask a 'bonde' question............................where do they get the e mail addresses from??

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 3:41 PM by chris.c Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

oh, they are everywhere to download from, or you can even buy lists of emails. also, they use tools called spiders to crawl the web in search of email addresses. this is why you should never post en email adress on the internet

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 4:11 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
the only time I have put my e mail on the net is when I book a flight....................................so are you saying the e mail can be 'bought' from them?

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 4:12 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

A few years ago my daughter worked for Lloyds and she told me that they have a whole department just dedicated to Nigerian frauds.  It's an industry there. I still don't know how people are taken in. What do they say ' if it sounds too good to be true it must be'?

Have you heard about the one pound coins? Millions of fake in circulation. Apparently you can tell the fakes as the pictures on each face are in opposite directions also there is a problem with the writing around the edge. Don't know if most £20 notes are still contaminated with cocaine or whether the credit crunch has taken care of that.

Like 0      
24 Sep 2008 12:35 AM by chris.c Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

i don't know how it works in europe, but in the u.s. big companies buy and sell customer data all the time, although apparently it's strictly forbidden! i read a few weeks ago a weird story of how a computer with bank customers' data was sold on ebay in the uk - here's the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7581540.stm

Like 0      
24 Sep 2008 7:36 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Do not even reply to those emails or make any call to the phones they offer.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 Sep 2008 4:28 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Hi, just to let you know that I have NO intention of replying to this rubbish, but I thought I'd post it so others could be forwarned.      

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
24 Sep 2008 9:11 PM by sj27 Star rating in Heathrow, but have a.... 9 posts Send private message

sj27´s avatar
Hi all,

There are hundreds of variations of this particular con, all of which  prey on people's greed and naivety. They send out millions of E Mails and have a few successes which perpetuates the scam. I work in this environment and should anyone need any particular advise or help ( other than don't reply to them) please contact me.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 12:44 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar
I get about a dozen ot these scam letters every week.  Where they got my email address god only knows but I find them quite amusing.  I can't believe that anyone falls for them, but they do!  Apart from the nigerian ones I get begging letters from terminal cancer sufferers who have a fortune they don't want their relatives to inherit, and Japanese businessmen who want me to invest in their schemes, and the very nice caring people, who can't spell, but who say they are the official Bank of Africa and I mustn't deal with those scammers and I should only deal with them.  Durrrrrrrrrr.  Amazingly they all want only one thing from me; all my personal details including my bank account number.  Anyway, I must go because a very nice man called Abbubu Unwallee Condya has just emailed me to tell me that I've won $50,000,000 on the Swaziland National Lottery and if I send him £25 he'll put it in my bank account personally.  What a nice man!

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 11:42 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
One of these days I'm going to setup another hotmail address and send the following to these guys:

1) I'm not stupid.
2) You are because I have passed on your information to the following law enforcement agencies:
     i) MI5
     ii) CIA
     iii) FBI
     iv) Interpol
3) Do NOT not turn around, instead I suggest you put your head between your legs and kiss your @ss goodbye.
4) Why! Because the Police are at your door right now!
5) Goodbye and good riddence!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 9/26/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 12:31 PM by whistler Star rating. 76 posts Send private message

What difference does it make if you use a Hotmail account? Surely they can still find you through your IP address?

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 6:36 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Your IP address is NOT sent to the recipient of the email, however yes, it is sent across the email servers but is still not made available to the recipient unless of course they are hosting their own email server.

The reasons I said create another hotmail account is:

a) It's not your main email account.
b) As it is Web based email, it can be accessed from any PC anywhere in the World.

So, you can go to an Internet Cafe, pay cash for the usage, and send an anonymous email to anywhere in the World.

If it where that easy to track an email, then these criminals would be caught in no time, however it is not that easy to track emails, especially spam emails.

And in any case, it was just a joke!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 9/26/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
29 Sep 2008 10:28 AM by whistler Star rating. 76 posts Send private message

Hi,
 Thanks for the info.  I realsed part of the message was a joke but had heard of Hotmail being used for internet scams. When I recieve an email I can see the originating IP under full headers. Is this not , in fact , the sender?
Sorry, don't understand these things and tying to make sense of it all..

Like 0      
29 Sep 2008 1:22 PM by Villan Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Think Newcastle United have fallen for the Nigeria one !

Like 0      
29 Sep 2008 11:00 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

As I said, you may well see an originator IP address, however this will be from the Domain Server your PC is attached to, which gives you your 'real world' IP address.

So, if you go to an internet cafe and use a web based email account, then the IP address that is used is one of THEIR'S and not your own.

In order to go a bit deeper, hackers bounce emails from one server to another, and then another and another and so on, thus 'spoofing' the originator IP address, and making it very difficult to trace the originator IP address.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 9/29/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Aifos Torreblanca - 0 posts
Success! - 9 posts
Should you complete without a habitation certificate? - 77 posts
Good morning every one! - 9 posts
bank guaruntee - 66 posts
LHD car wanted. RHD to sell. - 0 posts
How Much Tax Do I Pay ?? - 9 posts
Hallo - 1 posts
5% Retention - 2 posts
Pool Table - 5 posts
Aifos Mail on Sunday Article - 10 posts
BUSINESS PARTNER - 0 posts
Newbie from Guardamar - Sky TV - 1 posts
We've moved in .... - 20 posts
Purchase of spanish apartment - 1 posts
Hi everybody - 5 posts
Television Licence - 5 posts
Newe member - 3 posts
EASYJET HAVE CANCELLED A FLIGHT! - 33 posts
wealth and income tax - 127 posts
TDT TV guide - 3 posts
Parcela - 7 posts
Digital TV - 0 posts
Hi New member - 2 posts
printed merchandise - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 20

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x