Certificate of non Residence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by jean28 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Does anyone know what paperwork or proof of non residence you need to take to the town hall to get the Certificate of Non Residence to take to the bank following the new legislation?

Like 0      
25 Aug 2008 10:04 PM by antony1 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hello, all you need to do is go to the Police Station and apply for one as their records will show if you have ever registered as a resident or not. You

Like 0      

Hello, all you need to do is go to the Police Station and apply for one as their records will show if you have ever registered as a resident or not. You will

Like 0      

Hello, all you need to do is go to the Police Station and apply for one as their records will show if you have ever registered as a resident or not. You will need

Like 0      

Hello, all you need to do is go to the Police Station and apply for one as their records will show if you have ever registered as a resident or not. You will need to

Like 0      

Hello, all you need to do is go to the Police Station and apply for one as their records will show if you have ever registered as a resident or not. You will need to take

Like 0      
25 Aug 2008 10:05 PM by antony1 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

I meant to say before I clicked that you have to take your passport.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 11:08 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Ah someone who's been there and done it!

Whereabouts do you live Antony1?

Which police station did you go to, local to your area or to the one in your district.

We are all interested as it effects a lot of people who as non-residents will have to try and sort this out the next time they are over.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 2:25 PM by jean28 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Many thanks Anthony1

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 3:01 PM by antony1 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

I live in Marbella and it is ver easy here

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 3:49 PM by kbr88 Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

a few questions on this certificate of non-residence

i) does each person who is living in the property have to go to police station in person? or can one person go and bring the passport of the other?

ii) is there a time limit for getting certiicate of non residency?

iii) does it have to be done every year?

iv) what happens if it isnt done? will the banks freeze accounts or will they simply withold tax on any interest?

v) does anyone know if this breaches EU legislation--why do i have to prove "non residency"-if im resident in another EU member state surely that is sufficient?

many thanks
kerry

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 5:18 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

There is a another thread about this in the Spanish Banks chat boards, the next to last one in the list.

This is my understanding of the situation so far.

We first started to hear about this in July when someone who lives in Andalucia told us that their bank had been frozen, they had a mortgage with the same Bank but were unable to pay the mortgage or the bills until they got the Certificate of Non Residence.

Then recently we started to hear about people in Costa Del Sol who again had their accounts frozen.

As of yet we don't know anything about the Costa Blanca and if you read the other thread you will find that people have been contacting their banks who are saying that the bi annual Certificate of Non Residence is still being dealt with by the banks and not to worry.

1, as they are freezing the accounts all holders named on accounts would have to get a certificate.

2, you have a set time to provide proof (passport) I think it's 30 days.

3, don't know

4, Bank accounts will be frozen and bills will not be paid.

5,  My opinion is that this is the most stupid thing that has ever been brought in,  Your bank has an address that they write to and most people access their accounts via the interenet.  There you will have proof that you are using a foreign ISP.
The old system of renewing the certificate every other year worked fine.  You can see from the transactions on the accounts who is definately living in Spain and who is not.  For most people they will have to make a special trip to show their passports at police station to show that they do not live in Spain

Most of the new laws they bring in are logical but this one I don't see how it's going to work.

I'm still waiting for someone to come back onto this forum to explain exactly what they had to do to get the certificate especially if they live in the Costa Blanca area.  IE where did they have to go, Iike most others I only go over for a short period so I really need precise details.

Do we have to go to a specific police station, there have been reports that you have to go to the main police station in Elche or Orhihuela depending on what district you live in.

This message was last edited by semijubilada on 8/26/2008.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 7:03 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Living on the Costa Blanca, I have had my certificate of non-residency sent to me by my bank as usual.  I did not have to go the police station, the county hall or anywhere else.  Apparently only those who have applied for residency (and either taken it up or withdrawn the application) have to prove they are still non-residents. 

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 8:27 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

I contacted my bank (Solbank) and tthey said that as I signed paperwork every two years no other action was necessary.  

I'm not sure if I'm breathing a sigh of relief or not - might have HAD to fit in an extra holiday!!

Somehow, I can't see the police with being happy at the prospect of having to cope with more paperwork than is absolutely necessary. 

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 9:22 AM by Marianne Cowan Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

About a month ago I was contacted by my bank, Santander to let me know that I had 30 days to send them the Certificate of Non Residence or they would block my account. I called my lawyer, Felipe who sort it out for me. I had to pay 150 euros but this was cheaper than the flight. This is his number: 0034952765000.

Hope this helps.

Marianne

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 11:39 AM by non587 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

could anyone please help me with some info on what documents I will need in order to prove that I am a non resident to my bank? 

also does this have to e done in Spain or can it be done in the uk? 

If I do have to take a trip to spain to sort this out I dont want to be told I have not got any info that they require, so if anyone has a list of required documentationthat would be fantastic.

Regards

Non

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 11:55 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Marianne - Could you please let us know what area your property is.  I've noticed that areas which appear to be effected by this are Costa Del Sol and Andalucia. 

I'm trying to find out if there is any common occurence to this request for production of Certificate, so could you tell us how long you have held a non-resident account and who you bank with?  Have you ever signed a declaration at your Bank?

non587 - Your post appeared when I started to reply so perhaps you could provide the same details.

Hopefully then we will be able to see what's going on and find a solution to this problem.

I've had a property in Costa Blanca since 2003 and I've been completing a form every 2 years at my Bank.  I used to bank with Solbank and last year around the time of completing another declaration I changed my banking  to Halifax.  They have assured their customers that the normal bi annual declaration is all that's required.

When you open an account one of the many papers you sign will be a declaration of non residence, some banks require you to complete another declaration each year whilst others are bi annual.  That seems the norm on Costa Blanca, still waiting to hear what happens in other areas.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 3:11 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Our apartment is in Andalucia and our Barclays account is in Cartagena. We opened the account in the UK via the foreigners department which included filling in a non- residnce form of sorts. So far our account is still active, my solicitor can/ won't tell me anything about this so I am watching .

Mark

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 8:03 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
"...does anyone know if this breaches EU legislation--why do i have to prove "non residency"-if im resident in another EU member state surely that is sufficient?"

On the contrary, it is EU legislation that is causing this confusion. I's all to do with the EU tax and savings directive. Really boring details of it here. The thing that I don't understand, is why different countries within the EUcan choose how to interpret all the stupid legislation dreamt up over expensive dinners in Brussels. As a resident in Spain, all I have to do for my UK bank accounts is sign a declaration sent to me by the bank, once, and then let them know when and if my status changes. Having said that, that was then, maybe for new emigrants there are more requirements in ordert o register your UK accounts as "non-resident" status.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 12:25 PM by dealerjm Star rating. 47 posts Send private message

Hello everybody

I have been keeping an eye on this and similar threads as I am, like many others, a property owner in Spain. My property is in Alicante province. It seems that confusion reigns in regard to this new law.
First question is it a new law?  When I opened my account with CAM in November 1997 I had to complete a non resident declaration form. I have been to my Bank this morning and they are telling me that they will send me a further form to complete in November 2009 and every two years thereafter.  I have another account with Barclays and when I telephoned the branch ( San Pedro) I was told similar information.

My bank statements are marked 'non-resident' and like others it appears non-sensical that if the Bank knows you are bona fida non resident, why are the police involved.

It seems to me that the type of person the police are after are those who have lived in Spain for years ( in point of law, longer than 3 months) and appear to be resident, but fund their life ( mortgage, utilities etc) by transferring funds from their own country, thus avoiding any tax issues in Spain.  My guess is the police want those people to declare themselves non-resident or adopt residence, but no longer to live under neither of these options. Those who do actually live in Spain but keep their NHS options open and any other benefits the UK brings, would actually have to lie to the police and if discovered as having done so or find themselves under investigation, might find their Spanish assets frozen.

This is my take, but I still don't know whether this is a new law in addition to the documentation my Bank already seems to be taking care of.

Any comments welcome

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Jim & Marie Cregeen from Calasparra, N.W.Murcia - 0 posts
insurance worrk - 0 posts
Cleaner and local doctor - 0 posts
Duquesa Village - 9 posts
3% TAX ON SELLING PRICE - 1 posts
ONE YEAR DOWN THE LINE - 8 posts
clause to be included for Spanish wills (for british) - 0 posts
Buying & Registering a Spanish car in Spain - 14 posts
Telephone & internet connections - 1 posts
Best Places to Live - 0 posts
Gardens of Manilva - 15 posts
Work in spain?? =S - 4 posts
Nearly There ! - 10 posts
Find spaish friends !! - 0 posts
HOWABOUT LOOKING A SEEING HOW YOUR NEIGHBOURS LIVE - 4 posts
Manilva Beach Phase 3 - 0 posts
state school in san miguel - 0 posts
new owners - 6 posts
Thanks to EOS and all its participatants - 8 posts
las brisas corralejo fuertaventura - 0 posts
New driving law in Spain, whatever next ! - 43 posts
Benefits of buying in cash ? - 3 posts
long term rental - 1 posts
Anyone else going rusty? - 65 posts
Furniture Packs - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x