Certificate of non Residence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Sep 2008 12:43 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I think you've probably just summed it up in a nutshell.

It may however be the case that some genuine non-residents who were encouraged to sign on the padrón, have come under scrutiny, and as a result the normal bank declaration is not considered adequate and the police are insisting on more pointless paperwork.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 1:15 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've been told it's to catch all the people who are working illegaly and not paying tax.  Quite a few nationalities do this not only British and we are all being caught up in the search.

It appears that if you regularly sign a declaration you should be OK.  On another thread about this someone listed an item taken from a Sunday newspaper it had a list at the end which gives a list of Extraneros? (foreigners) office.  I've found one where I live so will check with them on my next visit that I am on a list plus also checking with my Bank first.

You may be right about the Padron Robert, but as I said previously no one who has come on here to state that they had to go to the police station to sign a declaration, have clarified whether they were also on the Padron.

I have spoken to two people, one on here and the other an aquaintance of a friend, who both appeared to have missed signing the declaration on or around the two year anniversary date.  Haven't heard of anyone on the Costa Blanca who has been effected by this but that doesn't mean that we should be complacent.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 8:49 PM by JohnKath Star rating. 157 posts Send private message

Why does being on the Padron effect your non-resident status? When we opened our first bank account 4 yrs ago we declare our non-resident status and have signed the correct waiver every 2 years since (just done it again). When we signed the Escritura for our plot last February we signed on the Padron as we were led to believe that this is what you do if you own property in an Ayuntamiento. When our build is finished next  January we will start to move over and we would expect to seek a Certificate of Residence next October. Things have changed in the interim with the introduction of the new CoR but I do not see that we are in beach of any rules or LAW.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 10:11 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
No, I don't think you are breaking any laws, but we are trying to establish on this (and another) thread why some non-residents have been affected by bank accounts being frozen. It may be simply because they have failed to sign the required declaration every two years, but it does sound like some have been affected even when they have fulfilled this requirement.
As I understand it, the Padrón is similar to the UK's census or electoral roll, so if you are not yet resident in Spain, perhaps you should not really be on the Padrón. Some town halls encourage foreigners, whether resident or not, to sign on, because the more people registered, the more funding the town gets from the regional govt. (which means more luxury cars for the mayor etc.)
It's possible (but by no means certain) that the police are using the Padrón as a way to try to locate people who are living here but not registered as residents.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 10:36 PM by JohnKath Star rating. 157 posts Send private message

In Ayamonte there is a separate roll of voters, you sign on the Padron downstairs and then take that upstairs to register to vote. Neither cost money although you can get a scroll for the padron signed by the Mayor for €1.35 (petrol for his merc?) So we are on the Padron but have not registered to vote.

The population of a town determines not only the central government grant but also how many councillors a town may have. Ayamonte at under 20,000 is just seven I think if it goes over 20k you have more but I don't know the breakdown. Perhaps Maria could guide us?

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 10:45 PM by jj1111 Star rating in Casares del Sol. 21 posts Send private message

jj1111´s avatar
When I registered at Casares for my Padron I was asked did I want to vote. I replied yes and paid 1.20E and was given the paper 3 days later.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 11:04 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I said the padrón was similar to the electoral roll, but yes, you have to register separately to vote. I don't think it has a direct equivalent in the UK. The point is, should a non-resident be on the padrón? I don't know the answer to this, but there has been a suggestion that being on the padrón may have been taken to indicate to the police that you are therefore living here, i.e. resident. Maria can probably tell us the official line on this, but that won't necessarily tell us how individual town halls, or local police, interpret it.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 8:49 PM by SWEETPEA Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

FOR THOSE OF YOU LIVING OF THE COSTA BLANCO WHO NEEED THE CERTIFICATE OF NON RESIDENCE CAN CONTACT ME ON LORENAS_SPAIN@HOTMAIL.COM I SUBMIT ALL PAPER WORK.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Jim & Marie Cregeen from Calasparra, N.W.Murcia - 0 posts
insurance worrk - 0 posts
Cleaner and local doctor - 0 posts
Duquesa Village - 9 posts
3% TAX ON SELLING PRICE - 1 posts
ONE YEAR DOWN THE LINE - 8 posts
clause to be included for Spanish wills (for british) - 0 posts
Buying & Registering a Spanish car in Spain - 14 posts
Telephone & internet connections - 1 posts
Best Places to Live - 0 posts
Gardens of Manilva - 15 posts
Work in spain?? =S - 4 posts
Nearly There ! - 10 posts
Find spaish friends !! - 0 posts
HOWABOUT LOOKING A SEEING HOW YOUR NEIGHBOURS LIVE - 4 posts
Manilva Beach Phase 3 - 0 posts
state school in san miguel - 0 posts
new owners - 6 posts
Thanks to EOS and all its participatants - 8 posts
las brisas corralejo fuertaventura - 0 posts
New driving law in Spain, whatever next ! - 43 posts
Benefits of buying in cash ? - 3 posts
long term rental - 1 posts
Anyone else going rusty? - 65 posts
Furniture Packs - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x