Read it and weep

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Aug 2008 12:56 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Max, do you want trouble with EOS ?  I told you before to put your firm's website www.maximeters.com  in your signature, didn't I ?  You'll have thousands of members clicking on that spam link.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 1:00 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
Sorry - I am suitably chastened.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 4:25 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Now this one I just have to share.
Anyone live in York?  Ever wondered why your council tax is going up?
Well, a few months ago, York City council spent 40 grand on fitting the dustbin lorries with satnavs.  Yeah, the chances of getting lost on a dustbin lorry must rate up there with George Bush being declared best ever President of the US !!!  However, the council said it was so they could keep an eye on where the lorries were and cut down the chances of them being stolen.  Now, I know people will nick anything nowadays but a dustbin lorry for joyriding??
And, sure enough, since fitting the satnavs none of the lorries have been stolen.  However, (wait for it - the best is yet to come) they left the lorries in an unlocked depot lorry park and the thieves did get in.  Guess what they nicked??  Aw! you're all head of me.  Yep, they nicked the satnavs.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 5:30 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Bobaol- I thought you weren't suppose to be ready the'Daily Mail'? Especially not Richard Littlejohn, It's enough to send all our blood pressure soaring! I hope the other councils don't start getting ideas.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 6:18 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I am not fromt oop North, but surely:

Sat Navs are for telling you directions to somewhere, not where a vehicle is.

That would be a tracking device right?

So how could the council track the lorries by a Satnav?

Aprt from that, if the could track the lorries with whatever device............ why can't they track the thieves down?!!

Could this be a blonde day of mine?!

(I have be known to have them from time to time!)

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 7:34 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've been watching the olympics with my Better Half (?)  Particularly liked the speed cycling, he commented that it was John Major who should be thanked for our success as he started the investment in sport.

And I thought he didn't do anything

Edited to explain that reading an earlier post about John Major reminded me and thought I'd share it with others,

This message was last edited by semijubilada on 8/22/2008.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 10:32 AM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar

Answer to fibbyuk:

A satnav uses Global Positioning System technology (thanks to the Yanks) - to know where it is.   This box of tricks can then send a message via GSM mobile phone technology to a data centre where the computer can tell you where it is (haven't you seen any James Bond films???....Simon Templar???? ...oh COME ON!).

I love Littlejohn - he's my hero.  Just keep taking the anti-hypertensives.

I thought they would have stolen the dustcart as well - the only way to get their bin emptied!!!!!!!!!

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 10:48 AM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
How life has changed since the Satnav came in.

I'm trying to "minimalise" or "declutter" my stuff, and have put loads of adverts in trying to sell same.  In the "olden days" it used to be a case of giving finite directions on how to get to my house,  The last 19 people who have rung me, to come and view,  have just asked for my address and post-code. Am I the only person without a Satnav???  I know that I was probably one of the last people to buy a mobile phone and computer - thinking of changing my avitar to dinosaur!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 12:17 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

abbb1, I will have to join you in changing my avatar into a dinasaur!

i am not techy either and no, Max Kite, I can honestly say I have NEVER watched a bond movie!
I did watch Simon Tamplar when I was about 5, but obviously didn't take notice of the technical bits!!
I have some catching up to do me thinks!!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 1:39 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Good news Fibby, The Saint is often shown on Satellite TV channels.  Have a look at the guide if you're interested in finding out what you missed out on.

I can remember Roger Moore in Ivanhoe

Sat Navs are good especially when driving by yourself as you have someone to argue with, "No I don't want to go that way I'm going this way instead"

They should be used when you get near to your destination, I'm always directed to turn right from our drive but I know the best way is to turn left so have to ignore the directions to turn round when you can

Also read that you should never have your home address registered in Sat Nav, if it's stolen then the thief also knows where you live.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 1:44 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
Oh Semi, we have lost all out TV channels in Spain, so I am devastated that I can't watch The Saint...........................

I never did like Simon Teplar, he looked slimy to me!!

Thanks for the info on Sat Navs, I understand them now, but I think I will stick with my trusty map book!

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 1:52 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Oops sorry thought you were talking from Surrey.

Can't remember what channel it's on, just seen it when OH is doing his marathon channel hop to see if there's anything on he wants to watch.  

You know the sort of thing, gives you a few seconds to think that looks interesting and then its gone.  

Men and their remote controls, sometimes I remove the batteries just to see the expression on his face

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 2:17 PM by randolph Star rating. 167 posts Send private message

We have a Satnav - I love it!  OH has never trusted it and always checks with the internet before each journey and with the  map during the trip

THEN it dawned on me......we had it set on a female's voice.  Think about it!!?!!...what male takes directions from a female??? And to add insult to injury - if he does not do as he is told it NAGS!!! REPEATEDLY!!!!

I've changed  it to a man's voice. He is not yet totally obedient - but he does not shout and cuss at it as he used to.

Jo

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 3:33 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

brilliant, has he realised yet?

Ours is female but my BH is used to a female telling him what to do as I've always navigated for him.  I used to do it exactly like a Sat Nav, telling him what lane to go in etc for the next turning.  He got so used to it that he'd often go wrong even when he was in an area he knew well.

His excuse, well you didn't tell me we had to turn L/R etc.

When he drives I have to stay awake to direct him but as soon as we swop over he is snoring before I've gone 100 yards down the road.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 3:59 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
I am still in Surrey Semi.........till Sunday when we jet off to sunny Espania!
But no TV signal there!
So no Simon Templar either.......shucks!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 4:48 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
I think that my OH's about to "jump ship", as far as a SatNav is concerned!

He's been pouring over route maps of Cornwall, planning his annual rock collecting trip - solo I might add.  He has read some of the posts on this thread, and said "Maybe it could be a good idea"!!    The thought process turned to action and lead to him looking up details on the internet - and now he's pouring through loads of information.  Can't imagine that a machine would be better than a wife!!! I'm usually very good at telling him where to go!

Fibby: Have a great holiday!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 4:57 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thanks abbbb1

I am not suprised you ducked out of the rock collecting holiday, I would have too!

Do you have a nice rockery in your garden?! 

Sorry, couldn't resist than one..............!!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 5:09 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

re:  rockery - actually yes!!  but not from the means that you thought!

When we had an extension done, because of the trees, the builders had to go down 2m.  They told me that it would cost about £500 to have the soil removed.  So, I must have been feeling exceptionally mean, as I said just dump the earth down at the bottom of the garden!  The pile initially was enormous!!  Luckily it settled.  Put a rockery and waterfall in; planted it out, it cost over £2,000, and now  takes ages to weed!!  Talk about a folly - in more ways than one!! Next time I think that I will try and engage my brain before I make any decisions like that again!!

Re: rocks - my OH is well into it.  He bought one of those magnifying cameras that you plug into the computer, and is currently photographing/cataloguing every sample that he ever brought back.  Me, I find it easier to watch paint dry!!  No doubt I might have the odd one or two or more hobbies that drive him mad!!

Just planning a week of "me" time for when he's away!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

House / home swop! Is it a good idea? Will it work? - 6 posts
BUILDER REQUIRED for balustrades & ironwork (gates) - 5 posts
cedula and legal time allowed for developers to complete - 6 posts
bank guarantees nothing - 2 posts
long or short term - 2 posts
I have posted some more recent 'Construction photos' - 11 posts
Beginners step by step guide to Polaris completion - 16 posts
Dot EU Websites. - 7 posts
On a brighter note............... - 21 posts
Menopausal ? - 11 posts
polaris world spain uncovered - the truth..... - 0 posts
problems with a bank guarantee - 11 posts
Internet Broadband - 10 posts
Trading on Spainish Markets - 4 posts
Corvera Golf resort Murcia - 2 posts
CORVERA GOLF RESORT MURCIA - 1 posts
Another Car Exchange - Have UK BMW 728 want Spanish Registered Car - 4 posts
Benimar, Benijofar and Rojales - 15 posts
Telefonica .. No shop, no problem! - 6 posts
DRIVERS! - Don't get nicked! - 2 posts
Body piercing in Spain - 0 posts
AIR CONDITIONING - 3 posts
More bomb blasts in Malaga area - 0 posts
Another Earthquake - 19 posts
where do we start???? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 38

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x