Speeding ticket

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by nuflow7 Star rating in Solihull/Vera Playa. 139 posts Send private message

Hi
Not sure if anyone can advise?   A friend of ours went on holiday earlier this year to Lanzarote and hired a car. 

He has now received a "speeding ticket" from the Ministerio del Interior, Jefatura Provincial de Trafico, de las Plaza de los Derechos Humanos, 2.  It requests a payment of 100 Euro's and he has phoned to try and pay but the can't get hold of the source for an address to send payment, the car hire company have no record of this, the British Embassy couldn't help.  He has also used the internet for searches to find out more without success

If this is genuine, they must have obviously been in touch with the Car hire company to get his name and address.

This has taken a couple of months to arrive and he is concerned that although he wants to pay (if it is genuine) he can't find how to do this and doesn't want to be arrested when he next visits Lanzarote at the end of the year.

Any suggestions would be really helpful - including how we identify if it is a scam.

Many thanks

Kaz

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 2:17 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Kaz

If you'd done a search for "speeding fine"   you would've found various info already posted, although your area is different, I realise. 

Look at these threads, click blue links 

Speedin Fine. 'HELP'   

Speeding Fine 

Trust this helps you.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 8:12 PM by nuflow7 Star rating in Solihull/Vera Playa. 139 posts Send private message

Thanks for this, I guess no further updates on the scams is available to clarify whether it is or isn't.  

I'll suggest he rings the traffic place in Madrid to confirm with them (although the email address looked a bit odd) or he'll have to wait until he gets out to Spain and pay the full sum (which he'll have to do now anyway due to the postal delay.  Its just a bit odd that his car hire company didn't know anything about it but would have expected his contact details to have been obtained via them.

I consider myself told off,   I did see the other threads but as these were earlier this year, didn't mention about contact info being obtained via car hire company etc,  I wasn't sure if there was someone out there who had been to the Canaries recently and had a similar experience .

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 8:21 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I consider myself told off,   I did see the other threads but as these were earlier this year, didn't mention about contact info being obtained via car hire company etc

Ah, seek & ye shall find, Kaz.
You obviously missed it !!

Here just for you. (I'm meant to be feeding my OH & packing for Spain for Monday, why am I here ?? )

06 Feb 2007 6:39 PM

raffar
Star rating
Parcela

I've made 1 posts

Send private message to raffar

This post belongs to the following thread: Speeding Fine

They send the fine to the registered address on the credit card that you used to book the car. The fine is in English and in Spanish and they increase the fine if you do not pay. Beware.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 6/7/2008.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 8:48 PM by nuflow7 Star rating in Solihull/Vera Playa. 139 posts Send private message

I know what I'd rather be doing!!
Hope you have a safe journey and a wonderful stay - don't drive too fast

Like 0      
09 Jun 2008 5:42 PM by bmwman Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi Kaz,
Thankyou for enquiring about my speeding fine.
Your other half has given me this website and told me of you enquiring for me.
It has been a pain to find out how to pay or even if it is ligit.I phoned the British Embassy in Lanzarote,they could not help.I phoned the car hire company in Lanzarote and there main office in U.K.They know nothing of an offense or the police contacting them.But they have opened a case on this.
I phoned the police station in Arecife Lanzarote.Do you know they could only speak Spanish ,you would think they would be able to speak perfect English (joke).
I contacted the airline i hired the car through,they have opened a case on this.
I have now used a translating web site and sent an e-mail to Lanzarote and Gran Canaria.
I have been on Trip Advisor web site and had a few answers.
I think what i shall do is print off the e-mails i have sent (do not expect any answers)Get some names of the people investingating the cases(do not expect to here from them)Take these and the original copy of the letter plus the 100 Euros.When i arrive in Lanzarote Christmas present these to the post office or police station.
My main concern was being arrested as soon as i arrived in Lanzarote for unpaid fines.
Its not the fear of being arrested.
Its far worse, its what the missus would do to me :)
Thanks for the help,Brian

Like 0      
21 Aug 2008 7:42 PM by steane Star rating in Cheshire / Orihuela. 12 posts Send private message

Hi to all on E.O.S
Today i have received a speeding ticket by post, it states that i was driving at 90 km/h in a 70 km/h zone. on the ( N332 )
I have been reading various information on the internet regarding this topic and i find that one of the offences is exceeding the maximum speed limit by at least 30km/h. as stated on this website :  http:www.expatica.com/es/housing/relocation/guide-to-traffic-offences-in -spain-1935.html
I have a ticket for exceeding the limit by 20 km/h, has anyone on E.O.S received a ticket for being under the 30 km/h rule stated above.
Also does anyone know if the 30km/h rule has been updated recently.

Many thanks
best wishes to all 
Steve

Like 0      
21 Aug 2008 8:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Do they have a 70km/hr zone on the N332 ?  We had trouble keeping our hire car under the 40km/hr it regularly was.

Naughty you for exceeding limit by 20km/hr. 

By the way the link http:www.expatica.com/es/housing/relocation/guide-to-traffic-offences-in -spain-1935.html  doesn't work 

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 6:27 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar
Link should read

http://www.expatica.com/es/housing/relocation/guide-to-traffic-offences-in-spain-1935.html

(Forward slashes missing between http: and www)

It should be noted also that this information is 5 years old according to the publication date.

fb

This message was last edited by foxbat on 8/22/2008.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 7:17 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Excellant information, have saved link to my Spain file

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 7:26 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar
I have no particular axe to grind here, but when it comes to driving and money in Spain I think it best to try to stay abreast of current trends and motoring law updates.
To this end can I recommend you look at this link.
Its probably been suggested before on these forums, but for the benefit of newcomers it might just help save you a few bucks and a lot of embarrassment...

http://www.spainvia.com/motoringinspain.htm

Even if you dont buy the book, the site is worth bookmarking for the monthly updates.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 7:46 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Got it, read it, now bookmarked it for the updates - thanks.

This book should definately be read, some really strange traffic signs around, that's why I bought it and found out some other facts I didn't know.  But then again it's been over 30 years since I passed my driving test, suppose I should look at the latest book in UK

Like 0      
24 Aug 2008 4:28 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Hi I am new to this site.
I also received a speeding ticket from Spain N3319, it came by recorded delivery had a terrible time paying it, as it can only be paid in Spain, at a post office or Santander Bank, got a friend to do it that lives permanently in Spain, didn't want to risk the chance of getting picked up at the hire car company.
Now drive very slowly all over Spain.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for long term rental that will accept 2 dogs in Quesada or near by area - 2 posts
Heating - Gas or Electric? - 8 posts
Can you drink the water? - 32 posts
Site Clearence has started - 15 posts
Good agents on the CDS - 1 posts
Wifi - 2 posts
paying the sellers tax on a re-sale purchase - 8 posts
Phoning a Spanish mobile - 12 posts
E.O.S.VIDEO - 9 posts
New rules for empadonamiento, again - 2 posts
Morerosado is leaving - 34 posts
Ryanair to start flying from London Stansted to Madrid - 0 posts
Spanish Airport Guide Newletter - 13 posts
New Airport at Corvera - 1 posts
Agencis Tributaria Renta return - 3 posts
Easyjet discounts: Book by June 10th for June 16th to July 17th flights, all flights ! - 3 posts
Furnishing bedroom for rental - which beds? - 2 posts
Driving from Santander to Guardamar - 12 posts
Arrohabitage Don JUAN cARVAJAL - 1 posts
Health Insurance - 1 posts
Spanish Universities - 26 posts
i need a mortgage for apartment an looking for the best deal help - 7 posts
Casoir - 3 posts
Healthcare - 16 posts
Are you coming this summer? - 53 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x