Free healthcare in Catalunya

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Jan 2007 12:00 AM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

We have owned a property in Catalunya for 4 years but only made the move here in the summer of 06.
Prior to the move we went to see our solisitor in Tarragona. He told us that ALL people living in Catalunya are entitled to free healthcare. (This came as quite a supprise, no web site had ever said it.) He told us to register 'empadronamiento' and take that to the health centre. Jobe done.
It sounded too easy.
Just after the move, and having got our empadronamiento (but not yet having applied for our health card) we got a letter from the Ajuntament inviting us to a meeting. At this meeting they explained (using an interpreter, our Spanish/Catalan not too good yet) about the health system. We were given a printed explanation, in English and I quote:

The Trajeta Sanitaria Individual (TSI) card is distributed freely,(I think they ment FREE) and the information which figures in the records is strictly confidential.  In order to obtain a card, it is not necessary to have a residence permit, but it is necessary to be registered on the census (empadronamiento) If you are already registered on the census, you can ask for the card at your neighbourhoods primary care centre (centro de atencion primaria or CAP)
In order to request your TSI health card, you must present the following documents:
Document proving you are registered on the census (hoja de empadronamiento)
An identity document (residence card or passport)

(Not said here but you will need a birth certificate for children)

This is a short part of the infomation given but the most relevent.

Having broken my arm and received really good treatment we thought it was about time we put this information to the test.

Within 6 weeks we had our cards.
This gives us free healthcare throughout Spain and reduced perscriptions.

My husband and I are not working and not retired. We have an 8 year old son.

I hope this is of use to others, not many people we know here seem to be aware of it.

Regards Fiona.
PS. pregnant women and children under 18 are garanteed complete health assistance regardless of whether or not they are registered on the census.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
19 Jan 2007 10:38 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/16/2007.

Like 0      
19 Jan 2007 11:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Anyone reading this should cross-reference with the thread on medication. It appears that each autonomous region of Spain has slightly different systems and names for things, so what applies in one region may vary slightly in another. It seems that Catalunya is quite generous and helpful to it's foreign residents. I'm not sure that Andalucia would be quite so accomodating to someone like Febe, i.e. not working but not yet retirement age, especially if you have never contributed to the Spanish social security system. Anyone able to expand on this?????

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Jan 2007 2:01 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
20 Jan 2007 1:20 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi, thanks for your interest.

JeansSis, Catalunya is north east Spain. From Vielha ish, along French border, round Andorra to the cost. Down to just south of Tortosa, up via the west of Lerida and back to Vielha. So Barcelona and Tarragona are both in Catalunya.

I can reccomend it. We also get free Catalan lessons!

See you here soon!

Fiona

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2007 6:53 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
In Andalucia there is no healthcare unless contributing to the social Roberto - in theory anyone living here more than 183 days a year should be anyway - be interesting to see how many actually are. Hence so many private health insurance companies and private doctors advertising here.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
22 Jan 2007 12:25 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
22 Jan 2007 5:34 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Smiley, there is something known as, I think, personas sin recursos fiscales which may cover circumstances like Febe's, albeit probably only for people who have at some time contributed. But don't quote me on that!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Jan 2007 11:56 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
HI Roberto I think you are probably right and apologies for a sweeping statement - I agree that there are certain exceptions but this is the exception rather than the rule I believe.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Not all agents are bad - 47 posts
moving to Estepona - 1 posts
Shared Photos - 1 posts
Where is the best place to move to - 5 posts
How to escape paying the extra tax ! - 3 posts
Sky and Broadband short term - 2 posts
Offshore or Not? - 11 posts
JOKES PLEASE .. IN HERE - 1414 posts
Wages - 1 posts
Warning! I do not recommend Ocean Estates - 100 posts
Information on La Marina Urbanisation - 3 posts
Want to sell your property! - 0 posts
JUSTIN ALDRIDGE - EOS MEET UPS - 11 posts
Mother & toddler groups - 2 posts
Police Warning - 2 posts
Deposit contract - 12 posts
New Photos - 18 posts
beach property in murcia - 12 posts
Chiropractor needed - 13 posts
When the plans changed (Brisas Del Mar) - 0 posts
Mimosa Beach Gardens - 27 posts
** EDITED ** - 2 posts
Anyone from Staffordshire or Cheshire? - 1 posts
Mijas area, Costa Del Sol - 3 posts
Renting out - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x