One for you girls....

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by Stephen2006 Star rating in Glasgow/ Torre Guil . 78 posts Send private message

Stephen2006´s avatar
To avoid my mrs spending laborious hours cleaning the tiles in our new house in Spain (LOL! As If would expect her do this, well not daily anyway!) What advice do existing owners have on choosing floor tiles.  Shoud we go for darker or light tiles? Which are easier to keep clean? Or what colours show up most dirt?

Also kitchens - what have been your experience of differing kitchen unit colours? We are considering a white kitchen But a wood finish is also a possibility? Any advice from budding interior designers welcome (Justin and Colin need not reply, Sarah Beany your comments are welcome!)

Many thanks for any advice received.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 7:40 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Seeing as your wife will be spending most of her time in the Kitchen shouldn't she be allowed to decide what colours???

Kelju

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 11:55 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I chose very light floor tiles mainly as they are throughout the property. They always look clean, even though they can't be . The showhouse had much darker floor tiles & the rooms looked smaller with these too. We chose a beech "wood" kitchen as again it's light & looked more spacey. White ?? Not for me but each to their own. Seems odd you can't make your own minds up. It's all part of the wonderful experience of buying a new place.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 9:05 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Stephen2006

It's hard making your mind up on things like this, only to find a problem with it later, so I think you are wise to ask for comments.

We unfortunately, didn't get a choice from our builder, not sure why!

We just got what we were given!

However, I do think light tiles, but with a slightly darker pattern in them, can look the cleanest.

Plain ones will show every mark.......

Darker floor tiles tend to show the dust more.

As for the kitchen units, ours are cream & maroon plastic coated which are very easy so keep clean and give a lovely shine.

I have wood here in the UK and have to polish them too much!

White? Mmmmm, sometimes that can look cheap.........

My opinions, but I hope it helps.

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 10:58 AM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

I'll stick in my tuppenorth for what it's worth!!  My friends and I were always bemoaning the fact that all the apartments in Spain had white tiled floors in the kitchen, which showed every tiny spill and drip mark!  Here in the Uk I have terracotta tiles which are brill, they don't show any marks at all, perfect for a lazy wotsit like me!! 

I agree with the others however that pale tiles throughout the rest of the place look best.  Cream marble being my preference.  Good luck!

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 10:58 AM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

I'll stick in my tuppenorth for what it's worth!!  My friends and I were always bemoaning the fact that all the apartments in Spain had white tiled floors in the kitchen, which showed every tiny spill and drip mark!  Here in the Uk I have terracotta tiles which are brill, they don't show any marks at all, perfect for a lazy wotsit like me!! 

I agree with the others however that pale tiles throughout the rest of the place look best.  Cream marble being my preference.  Good luck!

This message was last edited by VickiT on 1/29/2008.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 11:00 AM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

Sorry, hit the button twice!

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 3:37 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Deep red ones - to disguise the wine drips......!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 4:23 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Supposed to drink it not chuck it about Rixxy

Like 0      
31 Jan 2008 11:56 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Stephen 2006

We went for light and nuetral. Cream floor tiles,  white kitchen with granite work tops and silver/stainless steel appliances. It depends on what sort of look you want. We went for black, white and silver for a modern look. We also chose the same colour tiles for top and bottom in the bathrooms instead of two colour which ties you into a colour scheme. You can change the look then with different colour towels and accessories when you fancy a change. The sales girl looked at me funny when I asked for the same but when she saw them fifnished she thought they looked great and said she hadn't thought of it. It just doesn't limit you to a colour scheme.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2008 2:07 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Welll - its just easier to co ordinate that way - everythng wine coloured

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
04 Feb 2008 3:16 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

I agree about white tiles in kitchen - had them once, never again.  My personal preference for the rest of the house is in the beige to terracotta area, but we have made the mistake of using a beige grout with the lighter tiles.  Looks really great but four years on it is proving difficult to get really clean, especially in the areas with a lot of foot trafic.  The dark grey favoured by the Spanish is much more practical and in the kitchen better to have them butted up than grouted.

Hope this helps.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Inland Auctions - 0 posts
FAO Admin: Contacting Rental Agents Problem - 5 posts
Long Term Unfurnished Property Wanted in Alcaidesa - 0 posts
Completion - 20 posts
Ford Transit Luton Van - 1 posts
4 birth caravan for sale - 0 posts
Van Hire - 0 posts
washing machine repair - 2 posts
DRIVING MEDICAL - 10 posts
Property off plan in Darro - 0 posts
Vera Playa area - 10 posts
"Expats under attack" - 2 posts
Shop needed to rent in Fuingarola? - 1 posts
Laura & Andrew - 1 posts
home again - 0 posts
update please on phase 4, block 4 - 7 posts
Compare car hire prices Alicante airport etc............ - 0 posts
Compare car hire prices Malaga airport etc....... - 0 posts
Panorama Park - 0 posts
sierra nevada - 2 posts
Opinions Please: Strange Rental Situation - 15 posts
recommendations for traditional spanish restaurant welcome - 4 posts
Did you realise clutch & engine "misuse" isn't covered with some companies ? - 9 posts
Car Trailer for sale - 0 posts
McCormick Farmhall Cub Tractor - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x