Photo ID requirements

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Can anyone tell me what exactly the law is regarding photographic id? We were carrying our passports until we were told that it was too expensive a commodity to be carrying, so we relied on driving licences. Someone else then told us that if stopped by the Police, the driving licence wouldn't be enough proof of identity and we could possibly be fined.

We want to be ready for our next trip s we don't want to carry pasports if we don't hve to.

Thanks

Mark

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 8:04 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Mark

We were told that you have to have your passport & driving licence with you when driving.

Obviously, whichever option you choose, there is always the risk of it being stolen/lost, unless you have somewhere very secure to leave it.

We carry ours (well I do) & I must admit I am alays a little uncomfortable doing so. We were advised to get photocopies done & brimg those with us & leave tehm in teh apartment, as this would make it easier to get replacements if necessary.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 8:09 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hi Noreen

Yes, we were told to have a copy of the passport as well.

I was looking at a small safe in the ferreteria Mojacar as they are the right size and only 49€. We are going to get Dave to fix it in the wardrobe next time over.

Mark

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 8:30 PM by pooley-santos Star rating in London UK/Huercal Ov.... 58 posts Send private message

Yes all quite true, you should carry either your passport or a certified copy, but and its a very big but; in my experience Spanish police are the same as the police the world over if you pass the attitude test, ie don't give them any, then they will accept almost anything! I was stopped on one occasion by Guardia and the only piece of paper work I had with me was a credit card slip with my name on! Treat these people with the respect they deserve and my experience has been they will help you however they can.

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 8:36 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Thanks Pooley. Who would need to certify them? Does it have to be someone in the legal profession or, as in the UK, someone in the banking industry?

Mark

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 8:58 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Better to have both passport and driving license as this last one is not in Spain a regular way of identification.

Fully agree with you Pooley on the respect that work miracles with Police, Guardia Civil and ... I would say everybody in Spain. We are basicly hospitable people. 

You can have it certificated by a UK Notary. If you are thinking of moving to Spain or spending a time here it is advisable to have a set f 4 or 5 of those prepared for different uses. We do it with our own identification document.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 8:59 PM by pooley-santos Star rating in London UK/Huercal Ov.... 58 posts Send private message

Speak to your solicitor - mine has stamped and signed mine for me, however I think to be absolutely correct they should be notorised.

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 9:06 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Can't afford a UK notary again. We used one for gaining our Hague apostille and it cost us £140!! Minimum charge was £75. Perhaps we will carry our pasports and have a photocopy in case they re lost, and rely on the holiday insurance.

Mark

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 1:51 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've had my passport copied to credit card size and laminated.  I believe most copy shops do this service.  I haven't had it certified but it's an ideal size to keep for emergencies.  A friend used his to get back into the UK when his hand luggage was stolen recently at Pisa airport.

If you do get the pages notariased first then the lamenating could be done after, it will last longer than a paper copy.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 1:58 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We've done the same, semi.

It was great to meet you both for lunch at Market St. restaurant. We arrived home safely last night.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 3:19 PM by johnspc Star rating in Salford. 83 posts Send private message

johnspc´s avatar
If you need a document certfiying in the UK, contact your local magistrates court, no fee.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Property Bargain! - 0 posts
Happy New Year from your newest 2 users. xox - 26 posts
Looking for property to rent for next christmas? - 3 posts
Buying off-plan. Fixed completion date or unfair term - 2 posts
Hi everybody from Benajarafe, Málaga - 1 posts
Car seats for very young babies - 13 posts
HAPPY NEW YEAR! - 2 posts
Schools - Spanish v International - 29 posts
Mortgage Criteria Tightening - 7 posts
A website about new construction property in Murcia - 2 posts
can anyone help - 3 posts
can anyone help - 1 posts
Advice on Off-plan Disaster Please - 18 posts
Hello, Happy New Year from Mag and Mitch from Edinburgh - soon Albamar, Quesada - 2 posts
Picture framing - 0 posts
Driving Lessons in Estepona - 0 posts
Endessa Online help please - 37 posts
Waxing lyrical about the city of Murcia yet again - 3 posts
A Happy Spain Experience - 43 posts
Looking for good property with potential - 19 posts
Long term let required on Roda Golf Resort! - 0 posts
Looking for long term let on Roda Golf Resort - 3 posts
Benalmadena ice rink - 7 posts
New road to Alicante Airport from Altea and North - 5 posts
Anyone heard of Compo & Sol? (see link) - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x