Remembrance Day Public Holiday in UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Nov 2007 12:00 AM by Grumpyoldgit Star rating in East Sussex, UK. 135 posts Send private message

By comparison to many other European Countries, Britain has fewer public holidays and none at all for a period of some three months between the August public holiday and Christmas. Moreover, Britain does not have a "National" day. So what better way to celebrate our Nation than to have a National Remembrance Holiday falling on the second Monday in November each year to reinforce Remembrance Sunday which falls on the second Sunday in November? Such a holiday will serve to emphasise our commemoration of The Fallen who gave their lives to save Britain and also the on-going importance of the survival of our Nation. The National Remembrance Holiday will further serve to break that period between late summer and Christmas when there is currently no public holiday.

If you feel it appropriate to reinforce the message of Remembrance Sunday with a Public Holiday, please sign the petition using the following link

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/remembermonday/

Thank you.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2007 11:49 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I already posted a reply to this in the Thalassa forum, but there doesn't seem to be many other responses, so i will post mine here as well.

I believe they were looking into having another public holiday, around St George's day? I am a little confused how St George can be the Patron Saint of England, wasn't he a Turk?

I agree, a bank holiday in November would be good, not only to remember those who have fallen in all military operations (not just the wars), but also those that are on active service and the injured. Whether we agree or not with the situations, these people are just  political pawns and need our support.

Mark

Like 0      
17 Nov 2007 11:54 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Agreed & signed.

Please note link is this http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/remembermonday/

Like 0      
17 Nov 2007 4:13 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

I agree.  Not that it will do me much good as I am about to retire, but I wholeheartedly support our troops and only wish we could  do more for them.

Mike

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

thinking of living in spain - 15 posts
Searching individual forum - 0 posts
Hello - 4 posts
Ryanair cabin crews strip for charity, one for the EOS males, I think !! - 9 posts
ikea malaga - 2 posts
Jet 2 baggage question - 4 posts
Keen Angler where are the best waters - 0 posts
Avalon Irish Bar Bigastro??? - 6 posts
TRANSFER TAX - 2 posts
Moving to Fortuna - 13 posts
ALCAIDESA+OCEAN ESTATES+ALLERTON HOLDINGS +MESS! - 0 posts
21 Today???? - 12 posts
Thinking of moving here tips etc appreciated x - 0 posts
Sevilla - 2 posts
How cheap is THIS flight & hotel break to Nerja, CDS - 1 posts
Congrats Justin 1500 posts - 1 posts
pool update - 20 posts
Are we all stupid? - 4 posts
Can't pay mortgage - 11 posts
Los Collados Golf Aguilas - 4 posts
Very Difficult! Have a house built but being misled with the mortgage?? Can I get there? - 3 posts
Telephones - 1 posts
Information please - 3 posts
Selling my off-plan apartment - 4 posts
Anyone live in La Romana? - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x