Are we all stupid?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Nov 2007 12:00 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

According to Jeremy Clarkson,

"Another popular destination is Spain, which is home these days to 761,000 Brits. Are they all brain surgeons? Inventors? Did Sir Christopher Cockerell invent the hovercraft and then move to Puerto Banus? No. Spain is where you go when you’ve sold your taxi."

Read the full article here:  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/jeremy_clarkson/article2326687.ece

Feel free to add your comments here, although the original article has already attracted over 400 replies!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Nov 2007 2:43 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I do like Jeremy Clarkson and lot of what he has said seems to be true!! I know people that have moved States side when a relationship has broken up, people that have moved to other countries once their business has failed and I moved to France for a while many years ago when younger, after my first house was re- possessed! On the other hand, I also know a couple that moved to Aus. They were head hunted by the Canberra health authority, had their moving expenses paid for, put up rent free for 6 months and now have their own house with swimming pool. Stupid?

By the way. Kitchen's from Hell is about a Spanish bar/ restaurant next week, should be a giggle .

Mark

Like 0      
14 Nov 2007 4:24 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Bloody Hell Roberto, where does Jeremy Clarkson get his information from??????????

Just to inform him, I came to Spain because I chose to...............I didn't sell my taxi, I never had a taxi, but what I do have is a BA ( Hons ) degree, a Masters degree and a Teaching Certificate. My husband did not have a taxi either, but he did have a good job in a leading bank in his previous life.

Niether of us are alcoholics and there are no funny shirts, but there are LOTS of friends in Spain, on line and in England and we love our life here in Spain.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
14 Nov 2007 4:49 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Karen, thought you you were heading for Murcia airport ?

Talking about alcohol, I couldn't find Liria in Lidl's at Guardamar or Lidl's by Consum near Quesada so we couldn't try it. BTW, Em & Ken say thank you & YEAH xx

Like 0      
17 Nov 2007 10:41 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
I thought the funniest bit was

"Honestly, every single expat I’ve ever met is the same; hunched at a bar in a stupid shirt, at 10 in the morning, desperately trying to convince themselves that they are not alcoholics, that the barman really is their friend and that it’s only 11 hours till bedtime."

Now when I was in Oliva (CB) I did get some feedback on some behaviours of some expats but this is the same in any place in the world...I think if you wander aroudn London...Bham..cardiff that you will find people in the same bracket...

Indeed I live in Ireland and have never wanted to go back ot the UK....not because I don't like it but I want to try something new. I have adored my time here but my wife and I want to try something new and have more experience....to learn a new language to explore a new country and spain is our destination. We may move again...we may not...I think Mr Clarkson may be guilty of..generalising..

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Can't pay mortgage - 11 posts
Los Collados Golf Aguilas - 4 posts
Very Difficult! Have a house built but being misled with the mortgage?? Can I get there? - 3 posts
Telephones - 1 posts
Information please - 3 posts
Selling my off-plan apartment - 4 posts
Anyone live in La Romana? - 6 posts
furniture stores in and around Almoradi - 7 posts
Anyone knows about a Real Estate Portal to buy a House in Costa Calida, Spain? - 3 posts
Novocasa - 1 posts
Help required with adding new off-plan develoment please - 1 posts
Has anyone used Rightmove? - 3 posts
New Poster - needing some help please - 10 posts
Respite / Care for handicapped - 0 posts
A Cautionary tale..... - 11 posts
Recovering stolen property - 0 posts
LEST WE FORGET............... - 5 posts
Boat Berths---Costa Calida - 2 posts
polaris world hr phase2 resale - 2 posts
Belfast, Liverpool & Newcastle - Summer Flights with Easyjet Released - 2 posts
Cost of transferring money to an account in the same branch - 13 posts
Transferring money between accounts in the same bank - 0 posts
New user - almost ready to complete on Hacienda Riquelme - 2 posts
WORLD WIDE UNION JACK HAULAGE / DELIVERY - 3 posts
HACIENDA MARINA - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x