thinking of living in spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Nov 2007 12:00 AM by mosie Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi I am thinking of living in Benalmadena.  Is it  okay for slightly middle age people!!!  

Like 0      
17 Nov 2007 11:52 AM by samson Star rating in Solihull/Benalmadena. 125 posts Send private message

benalmadena is a lovely place, i have just purchased an apartment there. You have a whole variety of things right on your doorstep. It is split into three parts the Arroyo,Pueblo and Costa. arroyo is a good place to live if you want to integrate with the expat community.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2007 12:49 PM by mosie Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thank u Samson , I am going this Thursday to check it out...

Like 0      
19 Nov 2007 11:37 AM by jamiealmeria Star rating in Mojacar, Almeria. 73 posts Send private message

Hi there,

I used to sell property around there and Benalmadena is a really lovely place. The Pueblo is very pretty and traditional looking, the costa is a bit busy (especially in summer) and the coast road is daunting and the port is lovely in the day but a bit of a tourist, drinking area in the night.  Arroyo is a happy mix - very much a village just off of the beach road with ex pats and Spanish around. Certainly the best area in that part of coast I think without going inland.

Jamie

Like 0      
19 Nov 2007 11:47 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Just avoid heartattack hill if youre not too fit, otherwise its a lovely place and resonably lively in the winter time too. Good access via bus and train to Malaga and Fuengirola. A good working town, no airs and graces, resonably priced for normal people and a great selection of bars restaurants and shops

Enjoy your trip!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
20 Nov 2007 1:09 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The Pueblo is pretty, but rather small and isolated. More of a day trip place. Arroyo is nice enough, and on the Malaga - Fuengirola (via airport) train, which is handy. Depending on how "slightly middle-aged" you are feeling, it's also a bit hilly (unless you only ever walk up and down the main road). The Costa is very much Holiday Resort-land. OK if that's your thing. Some very nice apartment blocks around the Parque Paloma.

You might also want to take a look at Torremolinos. Not that I'm biassed or anything, but it's not a bad place to live either!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Nov 2007 9:59 AM by mosie Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Many thanks for all info.    As I sad I am going this Thursday to look with view to buy or rent...    I had time share in Benalmadena many years ago but have not been there since...   I am 59 not quite pensioner  yet!!! just want a change in direction.

I think I should maybe rent till I decide where  or if  I want to live there..

Like 0      
20 Nov 2007 10:24 AM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Hope you find what you are looking for and now is as good a time to buy as any....always better to be a buyer in a quiet market!

Lots of nice locations both sides of Marbella

Also look at Costa Blanca, Calida and Almeria [ between Aguilas and Mojacar] where you will get much more for your money 

Almeria is quieter than CDS so not everyones ideal and Blanca and Calida a bit in between

In Almeria you can get a 2 bed 2 bath villa on 400m2 plots from 178.000 € and apartments close to beach are probably half the price of CDS

Like 0      
20 Nov 2007 11:36 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Personally I would recommnd you rent first especially if you are coming to live here. Then you will find otu the areas you want to live in, which complex and can make local equiries via agents or anyone else

Long term rentals tend to be for 11 months at a time and can be renewable. You cn find part furnished or fully furnished, down to the last teaspoon and the owner or agent will fix anything that goes wrong for you. Dont oay a finders fee, some agents still ask for that! Usual is 1 month deposit and 1 in advance. You will have to pay electricity and water on top, gas if there is (usually bottled anyway) but NOT community fees ibi (rates) or basura(rubbish collectin) The Spanish are ace at getting foreign tenants to do that!

Then once you are settled you can look around. You will also find out what the prices should be and not the overinflated ones many agents have. In benalmadena you can find 2 bed apartments walking distance (and I mean 5 minutes) to the beach from aroun the 150,000 euros mark. Same in Torremolinos and Fuengirola.

Good luck

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
20 Nov 2007 1:39 PM by mosie Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Rixxy many thanx for info. cant wait to get there, will let you know how it goes....

Like 0      
20 Nov 2007 1:43 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Do that - dont get rushed into anything at all - go at your own pace! Nothing is going to sell or be rented that fast, its a buyers market, so dont listen to any agents saying otherwise - they are just desperate for your dosh!

Of course, if you see something with great location that you fall in love with, then make a low offer, especially if you dont need finance etc and can move fast

Above all, enjoy it! And dont hesitate to contact me if you like - I used to live in Fuengirola (13 years nearly) now in Marbella so know the area well, as does Roberto so if you want support or have an local questions dont hesitate.

Enjoy!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
20 Nov 2007 4:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
2 beds near the beach in Torrie for €150K? I'll take two please, Rixxy!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Nov 2007 4:16 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
In benalmadena - not Torremolinos !

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
20 Nov 2007 4:18 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
And a 2 bedder near beach in Riviera del sol - 120,ooo euros!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
20 Nov 2007 4:20 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
And a lovely studio in Torremolinos, really cheap at 136k!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
20 Nov 2007 4:52 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Apparently it's a one bedder - I just forgot to put the walls in.

Personally, I prefer a spacious, airy studio with lots of light. But almost without exception, those that have viewed it have talked about where to build the bedroom walls to turn it into what in my opinion would be a cramped & stuffy 1 bedroom apartment, with little light (and none at all in the bedroom).  It's not my opinion that matters, so maybe I messed up. Anyhoo, the Mexican says he can put the walls in for less than a grand (door included), so make that 135K for anyone who wants a bedroom. I'm not doing it, in case the next viewer has the same opinion as me!

Totally off topic now, so.......bye bye.

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Searching individual forum - 0 posts
Hello - 4 posts
Ryanair cabin crews strip for charity, one for the EOS males, I think !! - 9 posts
ikea malaga - 2 posts
Jet 2 baggage question - 4 posts
Keen Angler where are the best waters - 0 posts
Avalon Irish Bar Bigastro??? - 6 posts
TRANSFER TAX - 2 posts
Moving to Fortuna - 13 posts
ALCAIDESA+OCEAN ESTATES+ALLERTON HOLDINGS +MESS! - 0 posts
21 Today???? - 12 posts
Thinking of moving here tips etc appreciated x - 0 posts
Sevilla - 2 posts
How cheap is THIS flight & hotel break to Nerja, CDS - 1 posts
Congrats Justin 1500 posts - 1 posts
pool update - 20 posts
Are we all stupid? - 4 posts
Can't pay mortgage - 11 posts
Los Collados Golf Aguilas - 4 posts
Very Difficult! Have a house built but being misled with the mortgage?? Can I get there? - 3 posts
Telephones - 1 posts
Information please - 3 posts
Selling my off-plan apartment - 4 posts
Anyone live in La Romana? - 6 posts
furniture stores in and around Almoradi - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x