Hi all

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by Nicky123 Star rating in Benalmadena soon to .... 17 posts Send private message

Hi all,

Hope you're all well.  Am after some advice again. As you know from previous posts I'm still quite new here in Spain.  But I've got about it all wrong.

I didn't research Spain before I left, just upped and left.  Stayed with my mate who was goin to take me house hunting, we viewed the area Alhaurin de la Torre and that was it. 

Saw a house right next to a school so took it.  Now after spending all me money on the deposit and thats all i had (lol) I can't register my children at the school until I get a letter from the ex husband statin he agrees to it.  Not that easy as he is at sea (Navy) till xmas.

This area is very very spanish, I know what you are going to say, what do you expect your in spain.  But I mean, I should have perhaps gone to an area with a few more brits till i found me feet as I am having so much trouble communicating.....

Have been in this house 1 month and really hate it, we are the only english family on the estate, I don't know if its the british paranoia kicking in, but i don't feel very welcome here.

I have no transport so no way of getting around to view other places.  Was thinking about finding the train station (not one here) and trying to find a different area and stay over night in an hotel or something to have a look around.

I would like to be in an area with a few brits, coastal and near schools and shops, as everything will need to be done on foot or bikes. Can any of you give me some advice, before I think I can't manage and go back to the uk :(

Nicky.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2007 6:53 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Aw Nicky,

don't give up yet!! Don't know exactly where you are, I am Costa Blanca ( Playa Flamenca ) with lots of Brits and all facilities around....including schools. I know that is no help to you now, but we can always chat!!

Perhaps someone from around your area ( where is it?) can help.

Thinking about you.  x

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
21 Oct 2007 7:28 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Nicky

Don't give up.  If you really want to be there, you have to make it work for you and your family.  Surely the navy can rush through stuff like getting your ex's approval for the school etc.?

Do your best to learn Spanish - if you don't already speak it.  It's the best way to integrate with the community.

You don't say what age your children are, but if they can get into the school there, they will prosper, I'm sure.  Again, just give them a headstart with some language lessons, if you haven't already.

I believe Alhaurin de la torre is a little inland, north of where we are, on the CDS and I remember looking at property there myself some years ago - looks so nice.

It sounds a little empty I know, but if you can, stick it out!  You've made a massive move to go there in the first place and it takes time to adjust.  Give it time and then re-assess.

Hope it all works out, which I'm sure it will!!

Like 0      
21 Oct 2007 9:13 PM by Nicky123 Star rating in Benalmadena soon to .... 17 posts Send private message

Hi Pitby and Karen,

Thanks for replying.  Yes its inland, near Coin Karen if that helps you.  Just a big change I guess and not having met anyone feeling isolated and pulling my hair out having just the children to talk to.  They are 11 and 13 and are picking up spanish quite well from all the teach yourself spanish cd's.  Obv they will pick it up more once in school.. when they finally get there.

I don't get to get out much as I work from home and don't have much free time so its going to be even harder for me.

I always rush into things and wish i'd planned more, but thats me, get an idea and then im off. 

I'll let you know how i get on with the schools.........Its not a matter of the navy rushin these things hun, they have no scanners onboard to copy stuff to email me, so will have to wait till they're shore side....

Anyway have a good nite both,

Speak soon.

Nicky.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2007 9:35 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Keep at it Nicky, and you can always pop into the forum for a chat if you are cheesed off!! There's usually someone about !!

Take care.

This message was last edited by Karensun on 10/21/2007.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
22 Oct 2007 1:28 AM by Nicky123 Star rating in Benalmadena soon to .... 17 posts Send private message

I think i'll be doin that Karen lol

a lot!

Nicky

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

YOUR MUSIC HERE (LET US KNOW WHAT YOU LIKE) - 0 posts
english phones in spain. - 4 posts
AEA Community Charge - 5 posts
A succesful trip - 1 posts
looking for a web-site can you help please - 4 posts
Finacially better to be married in Spain? - 4 posts
all saints day and halloween query? - 9 posts
Need for Coffee - Sandwitch bars - 2 posts
Car Hire - Mandatory Accessories - 20 posts
Almoradi - 7 posts
hola - 1 posts
CAR HIRE - 112 posts
cheap flights - 0 posts
Anyone in Manilva - and you Justin! - 11 posts
Renovating - 0 posts
Non Completion and Furniture Pack Rights - 1 posts
Xmas dinner - 76 posts
Sunset Beach Torrevieja, CB - 0 posts
LINDA QUINN - 1 posts
music - 1 posts
Work permits, et al for Spanish Employment - 2 posts
Pregnant when you move to spain - 2 posts
Buying a property with a Ltd Co - 2 posts
Los Noranjos Apartments in Terque - 5 posts
PHASE 3 - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x