AEA Community Charge

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by p373 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi people, I'm Pete,  my wife and two children, 9 yr old boy and 13 yr old (going on 23) girl and I are going to take the big risk of moving lock stock and all that.(poss to La zenia)

However have not got a clue what to look for work- wise, I'm a proffesional driver (pcv )and thought of starting an airport transfer business but i guess there's loads doing that. Maybe if i could find a package company that transfers holiday makers by coach or something or even large van to and from England removal stuff, but dont know where to look. if anyone can help...

Also our son is keen to keep up his football, do they have boys footie teams out there.

its really scary right now any advice really welcome, thanks..

This message was last edited by p373 on 10/21/2007.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2007 9:46 PM by thenightmare Star rating in Formentera Del Segur.... 38 posts Send private message

Your sons football no problem as for work forget it unless you want to work for peanuts

Like 0      
22 Oct 2007 9:06 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Personally the work area is where I think you will have difficulties.

I've only read about one person who has set up a legal airport transfer business from Alicante and Murcia.  With difficulty as well.

The illegal ones are being clamped down upon by the Guardia, there are often reports in the English speaking papers of people being stopped because they have been spotted making regular trips to the airport.

My neighbour who worked in the transport business in UK and regularly drove lorries over to Spain thought he would be able to get a job there doing it in reverse.

After 3 years he gave up applying when the adds were in the paper, they moved to a different area to release some of their capital and for the past couple of years regularly goes back to UK to temp there.

You may be one of the lucky ones who does find a job working for someone else, but you need to look at the worst scenario what will you do if you don't find work.

Like 0      
22 Oct 2007 11:31 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi P373,

You can get everything here to keep your children happy and amused as you would in the UK,football is widely avaliable for all age groups and Charlton Athletic even have a soccer school in the area.

The reason people of your age are coming to Spain is for a better life and everything that comes with it but of course there has to be a drawback somewhere along the line.

Work can be an issue as it is not easy to walk straight into a job when you get here and yes the wages are lower on Average.

The advice i give people is to give yourself a buffer of savings or equity from a house sale to get you through the first year,do not overstretch yourself on a mortgage and be prepared to lay your hand to a different proffesion if needed.

You have to change your mindset to a certain degree when living here and stop chasing the pound,the reason we seem to envy the Spanish for their lifestyle and social values is mainly down to the fact that they consider wealth to be measured in quality of life rather than size of bank account.

A few years ago the majority of people that purchased property in Spain were either close to retirement or very wealthy,the trend now has switched to family relocation and the average age group predominantly moving here at the moment are 30-45.

With the infrastructure improving all the time there will be more job oppurtunities avaliable but it is not easy,what in life worth having is???!!!!!

Hope this helps

Georgia 

Like 0      
22 Oct 2007 3:30 PM by p373 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

hi Georgia..

Thanks for your reply, your information is most helpful, and yes we understand about value of life out there.. Good to here about the footie for our young son he'll go mad without  playing footie.

. we have had one or two positive feedbacks about my working for a coach company doing transfers, no deffinate offers but its a start.

Also we are loking into possibly buying a small cafe/bar as some look very reasonable..we maybe able to do both you never know..we should have about enough for 18 months without to much income, hopefully by then we will be up and running in some way. we think possibly it might be more favorable to go more south, there seems to be talk of large ongoing delopments that might be usefull.

would be most interested to here your story, how you started out there, what you do ect,  once again many thanks for your advice...

Pete

Like 0      
22 Oct 2007 5:03 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Pete,

I wont bore you with the whole details but to summarise;

We were your average family mortgaged to the hilt,nice house,2 cars plasma screen etc.....etc.........

One day i woke up and realised the person i passed on the stairs everyday actually spoke and at some point in our 1000mph life married me.

The little people that wandered around our house every now and again were our children.

The job that i was holding down was actually holding me down and whats the point in paying £3000 for a telly to fall asleep in front of?!

A friend i had known as a child offered me the to visit him here and offered me a job,i didn't take the job but fell in love with the lifestyle,then reality kicked in.would i miss the rat race and could i fund the lifestyle.

There have been ups and downs along the way but i have funded the lifestyle and i dont miss the rats,

I am now settled,happy and would not swap my life for all the plasma screens in china,it is hard at times but anything worth having is worth working for.

you have to be open minded and adaptable to succeed here,it is not perfect by a long way but "if only" are little words with long memories.

Hope this Helps

Georgia

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A succesful trip - 1 posts
looking for a web-site can you help please - 4 posts
Finacially better to be married in Spain? - 4 posts
all saints day and halloween query? - 9 posts
Need for Coffee - Sandwitch bars - 2 posts
Car Hire - Mandatory Accessories - 20 posts
Almoradi - 7 posts
hola - 1 posts
CAR HIRE - 112 posts
cheap flights - 0 posts
Anyone in Manilva - and you Justin! - 11 posts
Renovating - 0 posts
Non Completion and Furniture Pack Rights - 1 posts
Xmas dinner - 76 posts
Sunset Beach Torrevieja, CB - 0 posts
LINDA QUINN - 1 posts
music - 1 posts
Work permits, et al for Spanish Employment - 2 posts
Pregnant when you move to spain - 2 posts
Buying a property with a Ltd Co - 2 posts
Los Noranjos Apartments in Terque - 5 posts
PHASE 3 - 4 posts
how to move on to Spain - 0 posts
Mortgage Help - 3 posts
THE FONDUE LOUNGE - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x