Why Can’t I Use My UK mobile with my Spanish Santander Bank Accout

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Sep 2020 4:26 PM by bridspain Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Has anyone had a problem with using their UK mobile for online banking with Santander Es?

I was fairly happy until recently to receive regular paper statements to my home address in the UK but this stopped earlier this year. I thought it was linked to Covid so when I enquired why at my local Santander branch they said that it was no longer possible to have these. They said I had to use the App/online banking only.  We looked at downloading the App which I did but the process of logging in would not work - this was put down to my having a UK phone. They sent me away with a phone number to ring the Madrid office. This I have done who have referred me back to the local branch. Not only can I not visit them in person as I’m now back in the UK but I fear if I call them I will get the same response -  it’s not possible because I don’t have a Spanish phone. I find it difficult to believe that this is really the sticking point. How do other people get on with Santander Es bank accounts, surely I’m not alone with this situation? Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

Like 1      
28 Sep 2020 4:58 PM by Jack5340 Star rating in Calahonda Costa Del .... 56 posts Send private message

What I have done is to get a dual sim phone and put a Spanish sim and and English sim in it and I use the Spanish sim to call the site via the app. This allows me to get onto the site with no problems. Or buy a cheap phone and a Spanish sim.

Hope this works for you.

Like 1      
28 Sep 2020 6:45 PM by bridspain Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Yes that could work. If I got a cheap phone and Spanish SIm I assume I would just use this to receive security texts and use the ap on my UK mobile? Is that what you mean? Thanks, Jack.

phone and 

Like 0      
28 Sep 2020 7:21 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

What version of sortware is your phone using? My phone was Android version 5 and some banking apps wouldn't work on it

Like 0      
28 Sep 2020 7:46 PM by Jack5340 Star rating in Calahonda Costa Del .... 56 posts Send private message

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. I found it to be the best way.

Like 1      
28 Sep 2020 8:20 PM by bridspain Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

I have succesfully downloaded the Santander Es app on to my UK IPhone. Apparently it is that the app and on-line banking that don’t like the UK phone number. I have an old iPhone, hopefully that I could put a Spanish SIM in, when I get back to Spain to buy one! It just seems incredible to me that the system can’t cope with a UK mobile, in this mobile phone age! 

Like 1      
07 Jun 2023 1:35 PM by Basileus Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I've had the same problem with Santander. I can get as far as having them send me the access code to open internet banking but they send it to my house 'phone which does not take the code rather than sending it to my mobile 'phone, which would receive a texted number code. When I rang their Madrid office I was told that I could only change the 'phone number that they call by doing so at the branch in Spain, even though they have details of both my home and mobile 'phones.. It's like complete obstructiveness for so called security reasons, perhaps because the UK has left the EU.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Shared bank account - 3 posts
Santander 123 Zero Charges - 4 posts
burger king fuengirola - 2 posts
Quarantine Rules in the uk - 4 posts
Gift tax (Andalucia) - 2 posts
IBI tax 2020 - 4 posts
Good House White Wine to buy for casual drinking and dinning - 2 posts
Divorce - 4 posts
Tax withholding without NIE - 5 posts
Deadline for off plan claims IS NOT OCTOBER BUT DECEMBER - 0 posts
Tax cost - 4 posts
la palma island - 2 posts
Is it safe to go to Spain....... - 5 posts
Taking and leaving a car in Spain - 2 posts
Hardwired Burglar Alarm - 3 posts
Sky News has now gone encrypted - 2 posts
Catch Up/On Demand TV programmes - 1 posts
Spain's tough stance on Visa rules & Covid - 4 posts
Looking for a small house, finca, bungalow in the middle of nature. - 0 posts
Resident - 1 posts
Tie information - 8 posts
BBC iPlayer - 2 posts
Padron - 4 posts
Community President - 2 posts
Hot tub - Jacuzzi - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x