Things that will affect resident brits after 31st Dec 2020

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Aug 2020 4:03 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

You can't get a TIE without an up to date passport or a receipt showing you have applied to renew it.

From the BOE 184 dated 4 July 2020

In date valid passport of the applicant. In the event that the passport is expired, a copy of this and the renewal application must be provided.

Like 1      
16 Aug 2020 4:08 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Anyway I am getting bored stiff with this post...you are a  British subject in Spain that has no passport...you say your Spanish residents card will give you the right of free movement throughout the EU member states without a passport .. even the  born and bread in Spain need a passport if they want to fly  within Spain ...it would be extremely foolish of anyone to attempt traveling to another  EU country without a passport...we have just renewed our passports at a cost of £70 each... personally I can't wait to get back on the cruise ships and so on.even pre Brexit you couldn't get on a ferry or the Chanel tunnel without a passport.. things like this are going to get even tighter after January 2021 believe me.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 16/08/2020.

Like 1      
16 Aug 2020 4:22 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

even the  born and bread in Spain need a passport if they want to fly  within Spain 

Not true. EU citizens with an identity card issued by their home country (we don't have one in UK) can travel anywhere in the EU with just the identiy card. Spanish citizens, at the moment, can even travel to UK with just the identity card.

UK Gov guidance on EU and EEA travelling to UK

EUEEA and Swiss citizens can continue to travel to the UK for holidays or short-term trips, without needing a visa.

You’ll need to show a valid passport or a national identity card if you’re a citizen of either:

There will be no change to travel document requirements this year. We may stop accepting national ID cards for entry to the UK for EEA and Swiss citizens after 2020. 

Certainly no requirement for a passport for internal Spain travel except for us as we don't (yet) have an ID card.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2020 4:36 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Someone on this forum sounds like Trump who also easily gets bored🥱 when proved incorrect.😂lol

mariedav, kept old passport because it is good ID as number matches to all original documents pertaining to Spain. Visited every country in Europe in fact with the exception of China and Japan have visited everywhere else in the world consequently the only time I would need a passport now is for UK and can see no reason for an emergency there. 

Like 1      
16 Aug 2020 4:36 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Sorry, posted reply twice..🙄

This message was last edited by floella on 16/08/2020.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2020 4:45 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Floella..just pay the £70 ..job done especially if you want a trouble free lifestyle like I have.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2020 5:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Thanks for making my day Windbag! "...bread in Spain need a passport if they want to fly  within Spain" I can just imagine a loaf of Bimbo going through passport control after a short domestic flight  laugh "...it would be extremely foolish of anyone to attempt traveling to another EU country without a passport" I was that fool a few years ago when I forgot my passport going from Harwich to Holland. Fortunately, in those days (of UK being a member of the club) my faux pas was forgiven with a laugh and I was allowed to enter, but after Jan 1st 2021 I doubt if the same would happen.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
16 Aug 2020 6:24 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Floella..I quite like Trump ..he is very much like myself ...he makes the odd mistake but 99.9% of the time he is correct in what he states...by saying how it is...Roberto why all the name calling over a simple spelling mistake .. personally I think you should start checking your own spelling before you start with the stupid name. calling.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 16/08/2020.

Like 2      
21 Aug 2020 1:47 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

From Blevins Frank today:

"The Spanish authorities have introduced new procedures for issuing residence documents during the Withdrawal Agreement transition period.

It remains the case that if you plan to spend fewer than 183 days a year in Spain, it is likely that you will forfeit Spanish residence and be treated as other non-EU/EEA ('third country') nationals. This means you would have to apply for a short-term visa to visit Spain and be limited to staying up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

For those who would like to spend more than 183 days a year in Spain, we outlined in our previous email the benefits of registering in Spain before the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December 2020. Namely, uninterrupted freedom of movement, access to Spanish healthcare and UK pension rights.

Under the new procedures, the Spanish authorities have confirmed exactly how you should lock in these benefits:

• Holding a Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión – widely known as the 'green card'  will be sufficient to secure your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement for as long as you continue to meet the conditions of residence in Spain.
  • From 6 July 2020, individuals who do not already hold a 'green card' must now apply for a residence document in the format of a Tarjeta de Identidad del Extranjero (TIE). Historically issued to non-EU citizens, a TIE proves the legal status of a foreigner in Spain and is issued to third country nationals that have been authorised to stay in Spain for longer than six months. It contains your full name, the period of validity and a unique number, known as the 'Foreigner Identity Number'.

Both cards will confirm your citizens' rights under the Withdrawal Agreement and will provide full freedom of movement in and out of Spain once the transition period ends.

Individuals with a 'green card' can choose to retain it or exchange it for a TIE. Reasons for switching to the TIE include the more practical format (i.e. biometric ID card with photograph) and the fact that it explicitly mentions your status as a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement, which according to the Spanish authorities will "facilitate both administrative formalities and the crossing of the external border".

Whichever route is taken, both imply that the holder will be spending at least 183 days a year in Spain and will very likely be deemed tax resident in Spain."

Mark Twain

Like 1      
21 Aug 2020 4:39 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

"This means you would have to apply for a short-term visa to visit Spain and be limited to staying up to 90 days in any 180-day period."

This is complete rubbish and speaks volumes for the knowledge and integrity of Blevins Franks.. There is nothing to suggest that UK passport holders will need visas. If, for example, the passport holders of Albania, Nicaragua, Paraguay, South Korea and many other countries have Shengen visa waivers...why would they likely to require one of UK passport holders?

Like 0      
21 Aug 2020 5:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I copied & pasted that in haste, only really scanning the bit about the "green card" (is it widely known as that?) & TIE which I thought were relevant to this thread. I'm glad I stated the source and put the entire article in quotes! I have known their knowledge on other subjects to be seriously lacking or flawed, so can't argue with your analysis. (I did at least leave out the last part, which of course was a call to action to get people to use their tax/accountancy services). Of course the part in bold (theirs, not mine!) is nonsense; furthermore, to "forfeit" your residency implies that you already have it, and I've read elsewhere that you have to be absent from the country for a continuous period of 5 years to lose it anyway - although I'm not sure of the veracity of that, and perhaps it only applies to those with permanent resident status. Any idea?  

This message was last edited by Roberto on 21/08/2020.

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Padron - 6 posts
Two new European Court Decissions on Abusive Clauses in Spanish Mortgages - 0 posts
Padron - 1 posts
Community AGM - 6 posts
New resident - 2 posts
Mojacar Magazine - 0 posts
Tax on UK property rental - 1 posts
Missing 3% retention refund from the tax office - 4 posts
Looking for advice for buying holiday home in spain - 4 posts
New forms for Reidency in Spain of UK citizens - 21 posts
All won cases by Costaluz Lawyers-- off plan refunds--so far in 2020 - 0 posts
Malaga Airport Arrivals from UK - 0 posts
Ownership quotas and community fees - 6 posts
Selling Property in Spain - 1 posts
New member seeking advice - 22 posts
Were you affected by Amber Sun? - 4 posts
Masks to be worn by everybody incl Tourists when Applicable - 2 posts
dermatoligist - 0 posts
Making a Spanish Will - 3 posts
Candy CDCP 6 dishwasher machine - 0 posts
720 and other forms - 1 posts
New Years eve - 1 posts
ELS ex clients trying to get access to papers/documents - 11 posts
Pool - 6 posts
non residents tax murcia - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 51

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x