Tax on UK property rental

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Jul 2020 9:25 AM by buttons Star rating in Nerja. 15 posts Send private message

I am a Spanish tax resident ( Uk citizen) and pay tax to HMRC on income from a property I rent in the UK.  I have been advised that I must also pay tax on this income on Spain; the Spanish tax would be lower as 60% of the profit would not be liable for tax. However, surely I should not pay tax on the same income in both countries? If I do have to pay HMRC and the Hacienda, can I claim any relief via the Double Taxation treaty? I have received conflicting information on this subject and hope that so,some will be able to clarify the situation for me. Thank you.

Like 0      
11 Jul 2020 9:35 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

You have to declare the rental income in Spain but you also declare the amount of tax you've paid in UK.

The Spainsih tax man then deducts the tax you've paid in UK from the tax due in Spain. As you are renting your propety long term you get 60% of the rental income as a deduction in Spain so I doubt you'll end up paying any tax on it in Spain as well.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Missing 3% retention refund from the tax office - 4 posts
Looking for advice for buying holiday home in spain - 4 posts
New forms for Reidency in Spain of UK citizens - 21 posts
All won cases by Costaluz Lawyers-- off plan refunds--so far in 2020 - 0 posts
Malaga Airport Arrivals from UK - 0 posts
Ownership quotas and community fees - 6 posts
Selling Property in Spain - 1 posts
New member seeking advice - 22 posts
Were you affected by Amber Sun? - 4 posts
Masks to be worn by everybody incl Tourists when Applicable - 2 posts
dermatoligist - 0 posts
Making a Spanish Will - 3 posts
Candy CDCP 6 dishwasher machine - 0 posts
720 and other forms - 1 posts
New Years eve - 1 posts
ELS ex clients trying to get access to papers/documents - 11 posts
Pool - 6 posts
non residents tax murcia - 6 posts
Residents - 17 posts
Looking for someone to visit a Farmacia for me - 0 posts
Pesty Fruit flies/Baby Flies in your Kitchen & Fruit Bowl in Lounge/Dinning - 1 posts
Flights - 6 posts
Death of Owner - UK Based - 2 posts
Certificates of Registries and Legalizations (CRyL) - 3 posts
las palas - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x