PC gone to far again - The Red Arrows ??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Sep 2007 12:00 AM by HarrynHelen Star rating in Hacienda Riquelme. 89 posts Send private message

Not quite an EOS 'Spanish' topic but thought posting this here would at least get some support from fellow readers. 

I can think of a few names that the Rt Hon James Parnell, our erstwhile Secretary of State could be rechristened with.

The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed "too British".

Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be "offensive" to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team "too militaristically British". Red Arrows pilots were said to be "outraged", as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being "too British" is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.

It is to be hoped that common sense prevails

If you disagree with this decision, sign the petition on the link below. 
Ex-pats as well as UK residents are welcome to sign up.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?ref=redArrows2012

Harry

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 7:52 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Enjoy Christmas this year...that'll be the next "offensive"  thing to be banned, then Easter!!!!

Off to sign the petition....but isn't the ban a "fait au complis"?

This message was last edited by Tish on 9/27/2007.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 8:22 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

HarrynHelen

good on ya' for pointing this out.

form signed, i would hope you get mamimum support on this.  What a stupid decission to try and stop our British pride and joy flying at this fantastic event. Whoever made that ruling needs a very swift kick up the arse!.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 9:02 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Harry and Helen,  Things like this really make me cross,  I will certainly sign the Petition.   I do wonder what is happening to this country   Regards Pat 

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 9:30 AM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

As an ex RAF member having served 22 years, I am disgusted and find the idea to ban the Red Arrows another attempt by this Government to erase our identity, I travel the world and in every country I have visited the people are proud to display symbols of their national identity and also, their religeon. Could you imagine knocking down the "Great Wall" because it's Too Chinese, or banning ceremonies in the "Blue Mosque" in Instanbul in case it offends Christians. I have voted against. Not that I expect it to make a difference because as we all know the Government does what "It" wants anyway. I bet if France had won they would not have banned The Patrouille de France. What ever happend to the saying "Proud to be British" There is not much left to be proud of,

End of Rant, Viva España

John

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 9:51 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Signed.

That is so sickening and one of the reasons I have had enough with this country.

As soon as the house is sold we're off. Every morning I read the paper and find more madness.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 1:14 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Another nail in the coffin of the YUK sorry the UK.

An absolute disgrace but nothing that was not expected.

Bring the "Arrows" over here,they will be welcomed with open arms.

Johnone-My business partner was in the RAF for 22 years also,you should hear him moan about the UK after spending most of his life defending it!!!!

I could go on but i won't,fortunately i do not have to put up with it any more!!!

Georgia

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 1:20 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I have signed the petition, as has my OH. It is disgusting.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 1:34 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Sorry, tried to sign petition today after my return from England, but the last signing date was 17 Sept.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 1:39 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Deadline to sign up by: 17 September 2008 Karen !! (not 2007)

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 2:15 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Blonde, senior moment................done it now!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 2:20 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Not quite as many years service as others, only managed 3!!

It was only last year I signed a petition to save the Red Arrows as they were going to be cut scrapped due to defence cuts! Tony changed his mind at the 11th hour realising what a good job they do of advertising the country and our aerospace industry to the World. They are as much a part of Britain as the Monarchy, and I can't see the Royal family staying away from the games, can you??

Mark

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 4:59 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Just had email in..

RedArrows2012 - epetition reply

27 September 2007

We received a petition asking:

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Allow the Red Arrows to Fly at the 2012 Olympics."

Details of Petition:

"The Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the RAF Red Arrows as Unsuitable for the 2012 Olympics because they are too British. This is a ridiculous decision and should be overturned in the name of common sense."

Read the Government's response

The e-petition asking the Prime Minister to "to Allow the Red Arrows to Fly at the 2012 Olympics" is ongoing. This is a response in advance of the closing date from the Government.

It is not true to suggest that the Government has banned the Red Arrows from celebrations to mark the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The organising committee of London 2012 will decide what to include in the celebrations - but with five years to go, decisions are yet to be made on what the celebrations will look like, although you can be assured that they will be a spectacular showcase of Britain's best.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 5:18 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Yeah right...

I'm sure they will present a lovely cultural mix of Britishness. So as not to offend any other nationalities.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 9:01 PM by LAM1963 Star rating in Lincolnshire, Fortun.... 152 posts Send private message

LAM1963´s avatar
The next thing will be all English athletes must show a Polish or Lithuanian Background to compete.

It is an outrage about The Red Arrows the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight should also be beside them at the Olympics !

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

LHD UK registered Opel Vectra for sale in CB North £1,250 - 1 posts
Transferring a german plated car to spanish plates - 0 posts
The "new" flightchecker from Martin's tips - 1 posts
Telephone (anytime in the next 10 years) - 1 posts
HAPPY TO HAVE FOUND EOS!!!!!! - 24 posts
LOOKING FOR RENOVATION PROJECT - 2 posts
Air conditioning service contract - 4 posts
Hello - 3 posts
New to Forum - 4 posts
British estate agents - 23 posts
Richgirl - 2 posts
Malaga airport "improvements" - 15 posts
english surveying practice - 0 posts
Valuations - 0 posts
Window Tints - 19 posts
miss sold a marina dor apartment - 21 posts
Save a Street Child in Nepal for Just 1,50€ per Day!!!!!!!!!!!! - 0 posts
Offering my recommendations. - 2 posts
Property Management in Sucina. - 5 posts
Congratulations to Gina & her husband on the occasion of their Silver Wedding - 3 posts
directions from murcia airport please - 1 posts
news on block 7 - 3 posts
Feedback from Mar Azul??? - 0 posts
Home Insurance - 2 posts
Vacancy!!!!!!! - 29 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x