Illegal bank fees when taking out a mortgage

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Oct 2018 11:59 AM by theline Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Thank you for your replies, and to you too Maria for your post.

Actually we didn’t use the services of a lawyer when purchasing the house, so the mortgage contract was never reviewed externally. The quotes we received from the lawyers we contacted were fairly extortionate in comparison with the price of the property. Most were around 4-5% of the price (i.e. quite a bit more than the illegal mortgage fees), and my experience of lawyers here in Spain has been somewhat of an “eye-opener”. I’ve unfortunately had the pleasure of experiencing lawyers openly recommending high-risk, illegal tax avoidance schemes, not turning up to pre-arranged meetings (or turning up very late), and blaming clients for their mistakes etc.

Now, before anyone jumps in and says “well, if you take that kind of risk by not hiring professionals, you get what you deserve”, we didn’t purchase the property blindly or naively. We had a full independent survey of the property carried out (something a lawyer will also do, but charge several times the price). We checked that the building had all it’s licences, had no debts and checked that everything appeared correctly on the catastro (and that it matched what was in the escritura). In addition, we also knew the previous owners, and several other people living on the urbanisation. So all things considered, in our opinion anyway, it was low risk (at least as far as property purchases in Spain go). Also, we had factored in the fact that there might be unexpected expenses that we might have to cover (such as these fees). 

It’s very frustrating that there doesn’t seem to be a consistent legal precedent that cover exactly what fees can be claimed (it sounds like different regions/courts have interpreted this ruling differently), and it’s infuriating that the banks are still using the fact that the system is fundamentally broken to pass on their financial responsibilities to their clients.

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Can you withdraw from your community - 7 posts
FIBRE OPTIC INTERNET - 1 posts
tax on pension - 1 posts
Hello - 3 posts
Non payment of rent and utilities - 1 posts
Mobile Help Please!!!! - 5 posts
Hello - 2 posts
Paro in one off payment? - 2 posts
Licence exchange. - 13 posts
What are the rules and laws relating to a serious debtor,thinking it's ok to use the pool without contributing? - 12 posts
de Panama a Salamanca - 0 posts
Tennis Court Construction - 0 posts
Pay as you go Mobile - 8 posts
My friends looking at gifting his spainish property - 7 posts
Driving to Mijas - 0 posts
Fuente Del Conde or other villages near Iznajar - 0 posts
Another resounding result for GM LawyersOnce our court attendance was over - 13 posts
Anyone living in hamlets/villages around Iznajar region? - 0 posts
Colinas Del Lago - 0 posts
Summer Clearance Sale Motorcycle Clothing - 1 posts
Outstanding Community Fees in terms of the Horizontal Law - 5 posts
Hi, this is Jennifer White - 2 posts
Returning tour with my car - 5 posts
Past discussions - 2 posts
Garbage mountain - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x