Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Mar 2018 10:20 AM by Bentheowl Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi everyone. 

I need your help. 

We have received a letter from our bank over in Spain Caixabank requesting information to satisfy money laundering requirements. It asks for our economic activity and business operations. What does this mean? I can't get through to them to ask. Is it tax returns as my wife is self employed. I have recently gone self employed too so I don't have any tax returns yet. What is a Form 036 (tax register declaration)  

Is there an email address you can provide so we can send these over.

Many thanks

Ben

Like 0      
29 Mar 2018 11:09 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Ben

The whole thing of disclosure is becoming a nonsense. What terrorist is going to reply saying they are a money launderer and live in cave no 9. Or I am a tax dodger and my money is hidden in xyz bank.

The truth is that we are just shuffling paper around that’s made to fit. The cost of all this to the bank is added to your bank charges but your time is for nothing. I am not against filling in a single simple annual income tax return, but as usual Billy Bureaucrat has made himself a job for life with a system he cannot even understand. Get anything wrong and you are fined and treated as a criminal.    

Like 0      
29 Mar 2018 7:08 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hello Ben

I think this fom is for Non_residents. A Gestor in Spain should be able to provide more infomation . Maybe your own Bank will explain. See websites attached.

https://www.agenciatributaria.gob.es/AEAT.sede/en_gb/procedimientoini/G322.shtml

https://www1.caixabank.es/apl/formularios/atencionalcliente/particulares.index_en.html

Good Luck

Nigel

Like 0      
29 Mar 2018 7:28 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

I heard that whatever you tell your bank will be passed on to the Hacienda (Spanish Inland Revenue) who allegedly are building up files on all foreign nationals.  I'm guessing but I imagine that this might be used as evidence against you if you later opt for Spanish residency and be under the Spanish taxation system.   

The banks's will tell you it's all about money laundering, but it might be a bit more than that.  A while ago I advised my Spanish bank of a change of my UK address by email.  I had one back acknowledging and asking that I call into the branch to verify the details when next in Spain etc listing a few pieces of paper they wanted to see, the last of which was "proof of income" - the relevance/connection of that to a COA is not immediately obvious to me!

Hermano Mayor is watching you cool cool cool !

This message was last edited by acer on 29/03/2018.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2018 3:57 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ben

This was the form I was presented with in 2015 to complete for my wife, myself and my son.  We are joint holders of an account with Cajamar.

I told them I required a legal reason why I was obliged to provide the info.

They backed down and said I need to supply the info.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 31/03/2018.

Like 1      
02 Apr 2018 4:47 PM by Bentheowl Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi guys, 

Thanks for all your replies. Our Spanish solicitors have told us that it is only relevant to people who have a business in Spain. 

Thanks again

Ben

Like 0      
02 Apr 2018 5:01 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Not that it is all that important but i meant to post 

They backed down and said I need to NOT supply the info.

it was the question about the Political activity that I objected to and why I was refusing to supply the info

Like 0      
03 Apr 2018 9:34 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Ben, the comment from your solicitors is untrue.   As an aside, you never want to rely on what a solicitor tells you, or doesn't tell you in Spain, their professional standards are appalling. 

Spanish laws are ten a penny and often not to be taken too seriously as any Spanish national will tell you.  They have a saying in Spain "for every law, there's a way to avoid it".  The laws are often ignored anyway - the Spanish police tend to have a more pragmatic approach.  It's often the Brits that take them too seriously.

The fact is that over the last few years there have been international agreements and understandings that countries will pass back financial information of expats to their country of origin and where they are registered for tax purposes.  This is now a global situation.  Almost where ever you open a bank account you are obliged to provide your passport details together with home address.  The "cover" for this is "money laundering" - the truth is that the principal objective is to ensure that national governments obtain all information possible to maximise their taxation.

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish Architect - 4 posts
Thursday Legionnaire's Procession Malaga - 1 posts
Small 8 property comunidad. - 5 posts
Property purchase without registration for extension - 5 posts
Banking - 7 posts
Selling by instalments - 14 posts
Advice on Buying a property - 19 posts
Dog Friendly Accommodation - 5 posts
Just received an embargo on a house – looking for advice please - 14 posts
EU Succession Regulation 650/2012 - 3 posts
Planning to move to Ibiza to dj - 1 posts
Boat Trips - 4 posts
Moving my business to Ibiza, whats your thoughts? - 4 posts
Importing Car - 0 posts
Weather gripe - 32 posts
Incorrect Direct Debits - 3 posts
Easter Parades Torrevieja - 0 posts
I won my first instance case against banks - 3 posts
9 cases won so far in 2018 by CostaluzLawyers - 13 posts
Decaration of assets abroad- end of term 31st March - 43 posts
Car Insurance - 3 posts
Wills - 3 posts
Great new classical choir in Vera (Almeria) - 0 posts
Public schools - 3 posts
SELLING PROPERTY - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x