Stepmother died 3 years ago but still on villa deeds. Tax implication? Fine?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Feb 2018 6:27 PM by arambol Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Not sure if this is a problem or not. No doubt is is! 

My father, and his two children (me being one) and his deceased wife are on the deeds to our Spanish villa. We all live in the Uk.

She died 3 years ago and without a UK will so all her assets went to my father by default....but nothing was done about her share of the property in Spain.

My father now wishes to give his share of the property to us (his children) in the most tax efficient way, but of course we still have a deceased owner.

Could this be expensive to rectify or does my stepmothers share just automatically become my fathers as it would in the UK?

Appreciate any guidance. 

Thanks

Like 0      
09 Feb 2018 9:37 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I can't give you any advice, but I think you will find the rules regarding inheritance different in Spain. If there was no UK will, there probably was no Spanish will, so the spouse doesn't inherit everything.

"Spanish Succession Laws stipulate that both descendants (children or grandchildren) and ascendants (parents or grandparents) will inherit with priority over a surviving spouse. They are entitled, by law, to inherit fixed shares of the estate."

Source: https://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/2015/01/08/spanish-wills-probate-law-light-european-regulation/

I believe there is also a inheritance tax to pay for all those that inherit too. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along soon.

Mark

Like 0      
11 Feb 2018 11:54 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In Spain if one does not pay a tax etc. (and no attempt has been made to inform you of it)  within four years then the authorities cannot demand payment.                                    

I understand that Spaniards often ‘forget’ to notify a death until that time has passed.

I asked  at Blackstone Franks seminar once how a poor Spanish widow could pay inheritance taxes,  plus valir etc .  that was what they said,

On that point thouth maybe you should take some informal advice.to ensure that still applies.

Useful reading:-      https://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/2016/02/08/spanish-inheritance-tax/

Like 0      
11 Feb 2018 12:38 PM by arambol Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Thank you for your replies. 

There was no Spanish will unfortunately. 

I understand the Sucession Laws but as my stepmother had no children and her parents and grandparents are dead then would her share then go to her husband?... or would it go to her nieces and nephews etc 

Interesting about the 4 year rule, I will investigate. Thanks 

Like 0      
11 Feb 2018 2:30 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Arambol:

Where is the property located?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
11 Feb 2018 3:15 PM by arambol Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

South coast, Casares.....between Marbella and Gibraltar.

Like 0      
12 Feb 2018 1:40 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Your dad needs to do the Spanish part of the ab intestate probate ( and pays corresponding tax if 4 years have not elapsed since the time of death), then, he can gift the property to you. Gift tax would apply.

Andalucia tax residents have a threshold of one million euros free of ISD taxes from January 2018.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 1      
12 Feb 2018 2:06 PM by arambol Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Thank you Maria, 

She died in 2013 so 4 years have passed. What is the scenario after 4 years? Nothing to pay? 

He still needs to remome her from the Escitura before he can gift the vila I presume.

Like 0      
12 Feb 2018 2:56 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Arambol:

Yes, nothing to pay after 4 years. 

Yes, he needs to do the Spanish part of the probate to have her removed from Escritura and Land Registry

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 1      
12 Feb 2018 5:56 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Am I reading this correctly? When I or my partner dies, If we want to avoid paying Inheritance tax on our property in Spain all we need to do is not notify the Spanish authorities until 4 years have lapsed, and one of us will have saved thousands of euros in taxes......

Like 0      
12 Feb 2018 6:58 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Jarvi the simple answwr is yes

But if you get discovered then there will fines which mean you are takiing a risk not to declare

Like 0      
12 Feb 2018 9:44 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Thanks John. Looks to me like a risk worth taking. Hopefully it wont be for may years to come yet.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2018 3:54 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Just another thought on this one. Someone dies, their relatives "forget" to inform the authorities for 4 years, then they don't pay any inheritance tax. How would they then manage to pay non-resident taxes for someone who is deceased, surely the authorities would realise if they had continued paying the non-resident taxes that they were intending to deceive the state?

Like 0      
18 Feb 2018 5:20 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I pay the 210 tax direct from my bank account on a couple of apartments my son owns.  There is no apparent obligation to say he is alive !

Like 1      
18 Feb 2018 5:33 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Good point John.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

For sale fender mk 111 guitar amplifier - 0 posts
Planning/ license issue - 2 posts
Lawbird - 0 posts
Spanish Resident with Spanish car in UK longer than 6 months - 10 posts
WE WON! - 39 posts
kodi uktv - 7 posts
Banks paying out inheritance to beneficiaries - 4 posts
Replacement NIE card - 11 posts
Laminated documents - 0 posts
Volunteers wanted for k9 animal charity - 4 posts
Power of attorney - 15 posts
Santander bank - 4 posts
non residents bank account - 19 posts
Transfer from Girona to Platja D'Aro - 1 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers cases won so far in 2018! - 0 posts
Costa Luz Lawyers - 114 posts
Balcony extension - 13 posts
Winter in Torrevieja - 1 posts
How do I prove I am not a scammer?! - 7 posts
Modelo 210 - 2 posts
About the school - 10 posts
Winter travel to Spain - 13 posts
what is FORM 036 pls - 11 posts
Fined €200 for not having ITV - car only 2 years old! - 16 posts
Car Battery Supplier - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x