Balcony extension

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jan 2018 6:07 PM by weedod Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

At present my balcony is glassed in, making it a conservatory, if I want to extend it by two mtrs. what planning permission do I require, do i also require next door neighbours permission.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2018 3:56 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Where is the property located? A private development? A regular town street?

What do yo mean by extending it 2 meters?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 Jan 2018 9:42 AM by weedod Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

my house is situated on a road, it's a private developement of 28 houses, at present m balcony is "glassed in" my idea is to remove this glass extend the balcony out by 2 metres and replace the glass, do I need town hall planning permission and the permission from my neighbour, a "privacy wall" between the houses would be also built.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2018 10:41 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

If I am visualising this correctly, its a first floor balcony which stops at a privacy wall on a semi detatched or with an adjoining property.  The balcony is supported on columns or something similar?

So it seems to require a further series of four columns to support a 2 meter extended section and a privacy wall extending over two storeys at 2 metres long?

This will take the 'light' from your neighbours balcony at some parts of the day I would say and would include additional footings preparing.

My advice is to visit the local town hall or use a local architect to ask about the feasibility before acting on any advice you may get from here.  Maria may have come across this request before, but it sounds like a rare occurence.

Or are you describing a patio but calling it a balcony?

This message was last edited by briando55 on 24/01/2018.

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
24 Jan 2018 12:23 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 1/26/2018 1:25:00 PM.

Like 1      
24 Jan 2018 12:34 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

For once I have to totally agree with you, look what people have done to the Ghettos of Jaywick.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2018 3:25 PM by weedod Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I don't seemed to have given a proper description of my house, it is a single story, semi-detached, two bedroom house, some people describe outside there front door as a balcony, some as a verandah, call it what you want, there will be no need for pillars etc. it's ground level. All I need to know, do I need town hall permission to extend.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2018 3:35 PM by weedod Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Wow, I thought this forum was going to be friendly, with good advice, seems quite the opposite, my first post and I get a response from someone called Hugh saying I was going to turn my developement into a ghetto by building a conservatory, he seemingly thinks there is no need for conservatories in Spain, if he wants to sit inside all winter rather than being able to sit in the conservatory with a little more warmth in the sun that's up to him, but please don't preach to me until you know all the facts.

Like 1      
24 Jan 2018 6:22 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Has anyone else done what you are proposing.. If so why not ask them how that went about it ...or failing that go and see a architect....personally I would have thought the the builder that was going to carry out the work ..would have sorted out all the necessary building permits.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2018 6:38 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Weedog

Are you aware that if the glass was added as an extra,  after the construction, permission from the townhall would have been required. Also if you are in a community,  permission from them would also have been required.  So it maybe you will be opening up a problem to ask to extend

To make any extension which has  construction which is overhead will require an architect plans and then community and townhall permission and a building licence

good luck

This message was last edited by johnzx on 24/01/2018.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 24/01/2018.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2018 7:33 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

You do seem to have confused a lot of people weedog.  If it’s ground level only, don’t call it a balcony. Think of the balcony searing in a cinema for example.  It’s a level above the ground floor.  

If you want to add 2 meters to an external area, if your just laying gravel, plants

or concrete surface slabs your probably OK.  Anything else will need some form of permits as John says, he knows quite a bit about local requirements.  

Good luck. 

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
26 Jan 2018 11:23 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

You need both Local Council License and, if the work is modifying facades, including balconies and terraces, affecting esthetic and structure, you also need the authorization of the Community of owners.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Winter in Torrevieja - 1 posts
How do I prove I am not a scammer?! - 7 posts
Modelo 210 - 2 posts
About the school - 10 posts
Winter travel to Spain - 13 posts
what is FORM 036 pls - 11 posts
Fined €200 for not having ITV - car only 2 years old! - 16 posts
Car Battery Supplier - 3 posts
Family Move and buying a business lease - 6 posts
Debt Attachment - 1 posts
Question for Maria on interest payments (Ley 57/68) - 10 posts
Reclaiming 3% non resident Tax Refund after property sale - 15 posts
Help with Spanish Taxes - 6 posts
Furnishing a house in Jalon - 3 posts
registering an imported car - 2 posts
Special needs schools spain - 11 posts
tax on uk pensions - 3 posts
Bank guarantees - 53 posts
Advice on Cajamar Bank - 14 posts
Portadriano - 0 posts
Buying a new bike - 4 posts
trying to buy a property in spain - 5 posts
Reclaiming PlusValia on a property sale - 61 posts
come to Alicante area for 4 weeks in April/May with dogs - 3 posts
Club - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x