Take action against noisy neighbours before we rent flat out?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Oct 2017 11:49 PM by JoshS Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

We’re about to move out of the little flat we own in Madrid and rent it out. It seemed like the perfect little pad for a couple. But a few weeks after we got the mortgage, new neighbours moved in upstairs…

We hear every step they take, both the impact and the fact that every floorboard squeaks very loudly. It’s often louder than the music and television in our flat (over 50db during the night, way more than what is allowed by Spanish law) and wakes me up even with earplugs designed for road workers. They slam the door and get up multiple times in the night to go to the toilet (which we also hear). We installed a layer of soundproof plasterboard on the ceiling, which did a little bit to reduce the woman’s footfalls, but not the man’s due to the way he walks.

We appreciate you can’t change how people move around, the only real solution is to get the floor refurbished (pretty sure a few screws and some lubricant would at least sort the squeaking) but they don’t want to. We spoke to the comunidad and building administrator, but nothing came of it. We also asked them to oil their clothes line because it has rusted to the point that it sounds like a medieval drawbridge opening  - nope.

Is this just normal in the city? Should we be nervous that tenants will get fed up and leave us with an empty property? Is there any legal action we can take? Should we offer to pay to have it reconditioned? Or should we just try to sell?

Any advice?

Like 0      
25 Oct 2017 12:18 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If we only registered 50dB in our apartment I think I'd wonder if we'd missed the end of the world. This isn't just normal in the city, it's normal in Spain.

Sell & move to Iceland

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 2      
25 Oct 2017 11:57 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

When I read your post ..I came to the conclusion that you are not normally flat dwellers .because all the things you mentioned are part and parcel of living in a block of flats.

Like 3      
25 Oct 2017 1:45 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

The SPANISH are very noisy from my experience they leave the babies to self SOOTHE what ever that is and move FURNITURE around at 2 am in the morning 

The dustmen arrive at 3am so do as the SPANISH do go to BED at 3.30 am and wake up at NOON sorted

Love Hugh xx

ps you could always come to live near me its very peaceful compared to CAMPOSOL or MADRID

Like 4      
26 Oct 2017 1:50 PM by DuncanThickett Star rating. 80 posts Send private message

Hugh is correct in what he says, but I think the OP is a spoof having a laugh!

For the benefit of those thinking of moving to Spain, noise pollution may come as a shock and you need to consider carefully what and where you choose to live. For Rupert & Juliet from village snotty in the UK where all social behaviour is strictly enforced,Spain may be unsuitable, but for Cid & Chardonnay living in a corpy high-rise with an all day barking bull dog that uses the balcony as a toilet, Spain could be home from home.

To some it can be a culture shock, Spanish people can only shout, usually all at the same time at one another, they see it as normal. Bleating the car horn because they are too lazy to ring the door bell is also quite normal, it’s illegal but who cares. Door slamming and general banging about at all hours is standard practice. But remember that you have to learn to tolerate their culture, just like they tolerate ours, young Brit tourists in Benidorm, drunk, vomiting in the street, urinating on the pavement and sometimes from the hotel balcony.

It takes all sorts to make a world.   

Like 4      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Residency - 3 posts
Emulsion for stone interior walls - 3 posts
Costa Blanca Sales - 1 posts
Are Menu Translations Getting Worse? https://goo.gl/forms/ZySDAZGKT8Xx5V6k2 - 0 posts
Ciudad Quesada rental - 3 posts
Modelo 210 - 13 posts
The Comunity President May Not Be A Legal Resident - 2 posts
sub community fees - 3 posts
Renting a Car for 1.65 Cent a day.... - 4 posts
Query re claims against Banks with head office in Barcelona - 6 posts
Not receiving email enquirers on property? - 6 posts
FRENCH AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL STRIKES - 0 posts
UK Flights - 11 posts
‘certificado de empadronamiento’ Discounts - 2 posts
Undercoat for white gloss - 3 posts
Pre-court proceedings - 27 posts
Modelo 210 for Los Alcazares, Murcia - 1 posts
Mortgage settlement - 5 posts
HOLIDAY RENTAL - 9 posts
Long term rent Marbella - help needed pls - 5 posts
How long to buy - 3 posts
Detail on Wealth Tax - - 5 posts
Renewing your Padron every 5 year-Legal or not - 4 posts
Thinking About Moving to the Costa Del Sol - 1 posts
A UK Government Petition for protecting British expats and travellers - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x