Renewing your Padron every 5 year-Legal or not

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Oct 2017 8:18 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Does anyone know how this works. I have been a Resident of Estepona since June 2008. I got some sort of letter dated stamped December 2014 asking me if I was still a Resident of Estepona. I duly sigend this letter with my Passport Number instead of my NIE and our Urbanisation Comunidad Manager returned all these signed letters back to the Town Hall. I have now discovered that as I apparently had not renewed my Padron,my status changed from Resident to Non-Resident.The Town Hall told me your Padron has to be renewed every 5 years. Is this correct. Can one apply to be a Permanet Resident of your City,Town or village in Spain. As a Result my IBI Bill increased by Euros 345.86 to Euros 456. 56 instead of the Plan de Pago amount of Euros 110.70. Hence no discount applied for the final payment for the year. Has any other Forum user had this happen to them as well.

Thank You

Nigel

Like 0      
10 Oct 2017 4:56 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The Padron is the list of people who are resident in a municipality.

The law changed a couple of years ago.  Previously it was almost impossible for a town hall to remove anyone from the Padron without their permission. That resulted in a large number of people being on the Padron when in fact they had died, left the country etc. 

Those who move to another municipality would normally register on that town hall Padron and would be taken of the previous Padron.  

The new law is that a person with resident status (some call it incorrectly Residencia) must renew every 5 years or they are deleted. That means any discounts allowed to those on the Padron are lost until they re-register.

Those who are not resident but have property here are, in most municipalities, allowed to register on the Padron and thus they benefit from discounts:  They must renew every three years.

Many argue that only genuine residents can register, and the law reads like that, but most municipalities welcome all who want to sign on as they get a subsidy from Central Government for each name.   That money helps pay for local services, schools, fire brigade, police, etc.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 10/10/2017.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 10/10/2017.

Like 0      
10 Oct 2017 8:04 PM by DuncanThickett Star rating. 80 posts Send private message

John

What exactly are these alleged discounts you are referring to by having a ‘certificado de empadronamiento’.

Like 0      
10 Oct 2017 8:08 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tadd as you do not know what they are then you are clearly not affected so need not be concerned

Like 1      
10 Oct 2017 8:28 PM by DuncanThickett Star rating. 80 posts Send private message

John

I would like to know about these ‘certificado de empadronamiento’ discounts just to make sure I am getting them and I think these discounts would be of great interest to many other EOS members. So come on, let’s have the benefit of your knowledge.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

Thinking About Moving to the Costa Del Sol - 1 posts
A UK Government Petition for protecting British expats and travellers - 0 posts
Uk property tax - 43 posts
Car rental scam -BEWARE - 19 posts
FM Spanish Properties - 0 posts
Electrical installation and power needs for new house - 6 posts
Hi all - 4 posts
Umbrella companies in Spain - 2 posts
Fire regulations for communal garages - 3 posts
Urgently needed treasurer - 1 posts
Reform of the judicial model in Spain - 5 posts
Spanish arcehtypes - 1 posts
Link to check on Lawyers´s membership at Bar Association - 0 posts
FCO Consular Services Petition - Please sign and forward - 0 posts
Project help from locals! - 0 posts
No IHT in Andalucia from January, 2018 - 2 posts
classic car insurance - 4 posts
European Court on multy-currency loans - 2 posts
Repurchase / repossession - advice needed - 149 posts
Inheritance Tax on Irish assets - 31 posts
HOW TO CHANGE ENGLISH NIE TO IRISH NIE? - 4 posts
Friends - 1 posts
Thermal imaging or something similar to find water leaking from ceiling. - 3 posts
Hello - 5 posts
Mis-sold Spanish mortgages - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x