Air conditioning work

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Mar 2017 3:19 PM by Reecey4444 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Im looking at moving to gran canaria or maybe one of the canary islands in November/December with my girlfriend. Im just looking for the next step in finding work. Im a qualified HVAC engineer and need some advice on how to go about getting work or whether it is a desired trade? And how easy it is to find work.

Thanks, any advice will be much appreciated 

Like 0      
03 Mar 2017 3:46 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

I am sure there is plenty of air conditioning work, especially for someone truly skilled. Your main problem will be the language if you do not speak Spanish. There is always the possibility of going self employed, but you will need your own tools and kit, plus you will have to market yourself aggressively at first, local ads, business cards in every Brit bar.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2017 3:50 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Why not contact existing companies in the areas you are thinking about

Like 0      
03 Mar 2017 4:03 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Hope I am not telling you how to suck eggs here, maybe first thing to check out before you go to far is what certificates you might have to have, and are they easy or complicated to obtain, for somewhere else other then the UK to ply your trade. I am sure you know all the in's and out's about this.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2017 4:14 PM by Reecey4444 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Im currently learning Spanish at the moment as my girlfriend is a Spanish citizen. So it will not be long before I am fluent. I am self employed here in the UK so I have all the tools you need. I just think it would be really hard starting from scratch and could be risky. I will be traveling back there soon to do some more research on companies, accomadation etc. 

I was just wondering if people who are there hear of any work involving air conditioning, to see if it is desired. 

Like 0      
03 Mar 2017 5:41 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Reecey,

There are some euro standards for air con certification of units over 12kw, which require annual inspections.  Its similar to the EPC regs.

I think its more commercial? and being in the UK im not saying I am talking from a sound footing here, but its definately an EU standard.   Can you make enquiries about that and see if its an opening for you?

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
03 Mar 2017 5:58 PM by Reecey4444 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Yes that as already crossed my mind. There is a lot of paperwork and hardworking to get set up. I just needed to know if it is worth it, but I guess I will not find that out unless I take a gamble and go for it. 

I would like to see if there are any companies out there where I who I could work for, for 6months to a year, just to get my footing then go about being self employed in the canaries after

Like 0      
03 Mar 2017 7:09 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

A couple of things to consider 

Canaries have a very high unemployment rate

Wages are low

I hope you find what you are looking for and good luck

Like 0      
04 Mar 2017 1:01 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

if you can actually service and repair what you are installing you could be successful ..... On the other hand if you are a installer (only) what you will find is that is that you will be up against the butcher /baker /candle stick maker tha are normally a British going around fitting split units and using pre charged line's these people would not know what a vacuum pump or a set of gauge's looked like even if they fell over them ...I think you have got the picture...the only other problems that you will come up against is the money these guy's are prepared to work for..... and that is peanuts compared to what you will be earning at the moment in the UK so if you are seriously thinking about it learn Spanish so you can work for the Spanish as well as the British good luck.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 04/03/2017.

Like 2      
04 Mar 2017 11:08 AM by Reecey4444 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I think that is the way forward if I want to live there and still earn decent money. Yes I know, also all the air con in Spain is dog rough haha I dont think they would even know what benders are! Definitely, learning Spanish is being done now as its a necessity in my eyes. It would be nice to speak to someone over there or in the canary islands but some are very reluctant to speak (understandably!) 

Id like to know. Where people get there materials from? And how much they charge for labor? Where ship units from? How much it costs? But finding that Information is hard, especially to know you best prices 

This message was last edited by Reecey4444 on 04/03/2017.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Keith Rule, Maria de Castro and SpanishReclaim - 19 posts
Scam regarding Actions Against banks Law 57/68 - 5 posts
Floor clauses - 9 posts
PX Your UK flat (IOW) for our 2 up 2 down Town House Alahurin el Grande, Malaga - 0 posts
No win, no fee lawyer desperately needed - 7 posts
Finding long term rentals - 6 posts
Santander bank charges - 4 posts
Invalidity pension - 5 posts
Car Center Murcia - 0 posts
Any private health insurance recommendations for living in Spain - 0 posts
jackbean - 4 posts
Fire Stick/Kodi in Spain - 7 posts
Re Registering my LHD vehicle in Spain - 8 posts
Moving to spain hello we are lorenzo 48,Carolien 46 and Cassidy nearly 4 - 4 posts
Your own car hire business - 0 posts
Trampolin Hills and liability of La Caixa and other banks according to LEY 57/1968 - 3 posts
What a relief!! - 6 posts
Ownership of property - 6 posts
WHAT IS A SPANISH PROPERTY REALY WORTH - 83 posts
Electricity costs - 21 posts
Getting Eu registration certificate if working part-time - 10 posts
My Offer has been accepted - 109 posts
towing in Spain - 3 posts
Sevilla v Leicester football tickets - 0 posts
Having second thoughts - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x