EU Countries

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Oct 2016 5:24 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

http://www.tumbit.com/news/articles/11418-spain-officially-most-corrupt-country-in-eu.html

Really???

Like 0      
04 Oct 2016 5:35 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

They will most probably take this as a compliment.

Like 2      
05 Oct 2016 4:33 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Does this article imply that the EU Commission have no infringement rights to act as adequate disincentive to ongoing corruption in Spain, or is it a case that they are purposefully turning a blind eye to this ongoing scenario and are unwilling to use these rights?

Like 0      
05 Oct 2016 6:24 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

I don't disagree with Destry, they will ALL probably be proud that they have been voted number one at something.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2016 6:38 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

This story was reported in one of the English language rags today. Also in the same paper: the Caminito del Rey has been awarded €10 million from the EU for improving infrastructure and ensuring it's "structural integrity" surprise I thought the company that won the concession had to prove it had sufficient capital and a business plan to run the place properly?? Also, €15 million from the EU awarded to Málaga city, to renovate parts of the old town to make it a top class European city. I think it looks pretty nice already, and there are many other cities in Europe in greater need of funding. But hey ho, why not just throw more money at the most corrupt country in Europe and watch it disappear? If I was living in the UK and had no personal stake in Spain, I might be wondering why I didn't vote for Brexit, but thinking it's just as well enough others did!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
07 Oct 2016 12:36 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

According to this it's 40 million euros, Roberto.

The province of Málaga is to receive 40 million euros of European Union funding, of which 15 million will go to the capital, 10 million to the provincial council, 10 million for the Estepona Council and five million for the council in Nerja. These figures have been published in the Official Bulletin. This funding is for Sustainable and Integrated Urban Development, and requests from the councils of Alhaurín de laTorre, Torremolinos, Cártama, Benalmádena, Fuengirola and Vélez-Málaga were denied.

The Málaga Provincial Council will use the funds for the second improvements phase of El Caminito del Rey. In Estepona, it will go towards the Jardín de la Costa del Sol project, specifically towards a second ring road, the Castillo San Luis and revamping the town centre amongst other projects.

Mind you El Caminito del Rey does look awesome. But I thought it acquired a 2.7 million euro refurbishment last year according to this?

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/mar/27/caminito-del-rey-malaga-path-reopens-spain-hiking

How on the one hand can the EU be " impatient" by the level of corruption in Spain according to one EU report ,

"the EU says Spain is the largest contributor to a reported €120 BILLION it loses every year to corruption."

but appear to do nothing about this in terms of infringement to act as disincentive, and then on the other hand they provide this level of ongoing funding? 

"Yet surprisingly few cases brought before the courts and those that do, endure for years costing millions of euro of public money. However, as the costs rise, pressure mounts on prosecutors to find a swift resolution, often resulting in minor sentences or fines being imposed. Worryingly, very few corruption cases are brought to trial by law enforcement agencies. Instead, it’s left up to NGO’s, charities and trade unions to pursue justice for the public. But even some of these institutions are not immune to corruption themselves."

I don't understand what is going on here in terms of the EU so perhaps someone can explain?

Many innocent people have been very badly affected by corrupt practices in Spain ( including Spanish nationals) so this is not something to be taken lightly, nor should the reported 120 billion euros.

I have to ask the question are all these facts and figures correct, because if they are then it appears incredulous that the EU are not being more proactive to address what appears an immense problem.

This message was last edited by ads on 07/10/2016.

Like 1      
07 Oct 2016 10:19 AM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

It is often the case that the most autocratic of nations in respect of enforcing laws and rules are the worst in not practicing what they preach.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Peinsa 97 SL under creditor´s meeting - 0 posts
Costa Luz Lawyers. Recommendation - 7 posts
Is Ireland at risk of another banking crisis? - 5 posts
Problems with your S.I.P. card - 6 posts
Spanish wills and inheritence tax - 8 posts
Mortgages on illegal properties: is it Bank risponsable? - 0 posts
Struggles with mortgage payments in Spain - 4 posts
Hi. Removal boxes needed. - 1 posts
Looking for full time job - 3 posts
Are property prices about to fall in Spain ? - 23 posts
Changing name on NIE - 17 posts
Monarch - Air Operators Licence runs out on Friday - 6 posts
property value law - 2 posts
I don't have a legal resident contract and my landlord won't help me get an Empadronamiento?! - 8 posts
Yet Another Rental Car Rip Off - 45 posts
bike test - 4 posts
is it wise to move to Spain post Brexit - 45 posts
Using Spanish words in written or spoken English - 3 posts
Plumber - la Cala de mijas - 0 posts
Liability on a 6 months rental - 3 posts
Esta if you have lived in Spain - 0 posts
Customs duty - 0 posts
Diabetes type 1 - Insulin Depedent - Getting insulin & cost - 4 posts
Parcel service for sending small packets to UK - 8 posts
Satellite TV Costa Blanca South Area - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x