Leak in apartment

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Apr 2016 4:21 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

@Acer; "But on the other hand there are many ways where Spain is ahead of us."

I think the Spanish are way ahead on practical aspects of enjoying life: food, music, architecture, art, bars, courtesy, street markets, public transport, roads, town squares, caring for old age pensioners, pavements outside villages for people to take their evening walk.....

But they are crap at anything administrative; banks, vehicle registration, planning permission, paying electric/gas bills, buying a cell phone, taking someone to court for a small or large amount.........

Like 1      
01 Apr 2016 4:44 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

The UK is very sensible when it comes to insuring property, quite simply buildings insurance is costed on the possibility of replacing a total loss, which means demolition, clearing the site and rebuilding (damage to nearby/adjoining buildings/property would also be covered). This means that a total loss of a property worth a £1million sale price, that can be rebuilt for £300,000, is insured for the cost of rebuilding only, conversally a property that would sell for £200K but would cost £300K to rebuild is insured for the rebuilding costs, the rebuilding sum assured would normally be assessed by a qualified surveyor.  

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
01 Apr 2016 10:24 PM by CostaBlade Star rating in Riviera. 114 posts Send private message

Johnzx? posr reflects my experience with Spanish insurance companies, both privately and regarding the community claims. It's never been a problem.

I never said the system is perfect, but "when in Rome" an all that !! I think some people just want to "import" UK systems to Spain as a "One size fits all"

We are (on a private level) willing to except the "Spanish ways" - not perfect but then again they (the Spanish) could teach the UK a thing or Two on some fronts.

Just on a personal note - for Acer, I have been a comunity President for 5 years now - and could possibly quote you HPL law backwards - including the 2013 amenments!! - just to illustrate how seriously i take being President.

We have lived in Spain (permanatly) for 6 years and owned for 11 years, we don't own a property in the UK, we pay our taxes here in Spain and are happy to do so as we use the health service here and enjoy other services such as the suberb infrastructure and of course the lifestyle, these things are far superiour to the UK.

It is very easy to knock Spain - and not everything is perfect - but is it ever? It always interests me that the "knockers" always keep coming to Spain - I wonder why?

Like 1      
02 Apr 2016 10:56 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

CostaBlade,

It's easy to know the HPL backwards, it's very short and lacks meaningful guidance on important aspects.  So sorry no brownie points from me.

You are also wrong about the "knockers" as you call them.  There is nothing at all wrong in constructive comment, if you never question something you believe to be wrong it is less likely to improve.  I'm probably not the first bloke to think that good knockers are very important.

You can smile and touch your forelock to absurd practices if you wish - personally I believe that if you really care about a person or a country you try to help them see that there is a better way.

Like 0      
02 Apr 2016 11:52 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Costa Blade  Quote  ........  we pay our taxes here in Spain and are happy to do so as we use the health service here..............

Just to clarify what you seem to be saying. Your medical cover, S1, is as a result of an agreement between UK and Spain. The DWP currently pay somewhere around £3,000 p.a. for each person who gets 'free medical cover' in Spain and that applies whether or not one uses any or all of the medical services.So nothing to do with taxes paid here.

Like 0      
02 Apr 2016 12:10 PM by CostaBlade Star rating in Riviera. 114 posts Send private message

John, you are of course correct in what you say. I was trying to highlight that we are fully "residential" here in Spain and therefore receive the benefits that go with that - and of course the idiosyncrasies (not social security, as we are retired and have never paid into the Spanish system). 

Also that we do (I) understand a "little" of how Spanish systems work - and how you learn to work with them - the same as you have having seen many of your comments on EOS over the years. As i said in my comment "nothing is perfect" but it works!! and it is changing rapidly with the intervention of Europe and it's idiosynraies.

Be good

Like 0      
02 Apr 2016 1:06 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Costa,   I have been resident too for around 29 years and a property owner for around 33 years.  I was also community president at a couple of places where I have owned, for several years in all.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 02/04/2016.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Olvera - 1 posts
Employment Advice - 5 posts
RECORD GO car hire, Alicante Airport - 30 posts
Where to buy electrical goods ..... - 4 posts
Transfers to Spain - 0 posts
Congratulations to Costaluz Lawyers - 12 posts
Spanish Hairdreser - 0 posts
Fuster & Associates Recommendation - 1 posts
Camposol - 5 posts
New UK Pensions - 18 posts
PRIVATE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL IN TORREVIEJA - 0 posts
Ryanair ‘Asks Britons For £6,000 To Fly Home From Terror-Hit Brussels’ - 2 posts
£167bn now - 57 posts
Retired couple moving to Spain - 5 posts
Speed cameras in a gated community - 8 posts
VPN - 4 posts
Taking dogs on caravan site - 1 posts
Best way to sell a car in spain - 3 posts
Car for Sale at bargain price!!!! - 1 posts
this may seem a strange business question - 1 posts
who is Traficos governing body - 7 posts
Residential mobile homes/chalets - 3 posts
Administrator or President - 0 posts
Permanent resident of Calpe/Benissa/Moraira/Altea New Vehicle Discounts - 1 posts
Looking for bed shop in Girona Escala - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x