FUMES FROM LOG FIRES IN APARTMENT BUILDINGS

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Mar 2016 8:21 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

I live in a 2 Level Apartment in a 3 Storey Apartment Block on the 1st Floor. I am getting the Fumes from my Neighbours Log Fire next door as well as from an Apartment downstairs on the Ground Floor through an Airvent on the top level of my Apartment . Can anybody advise what the problem could be and how it can be resolved.

Thank You

This message was last edited by nigel188 on 03/03/2016.

Nigel

Like 0      
03 Mar 2016 1:34 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Sounds like the chimney stack is not high enough and not fitted with a cowl it should be atleast 1.5 mtr above the apex of the roof a atleast 1.5 mtrs away from any Windows or air vents also make sure that they have lined the stack contact the managers of the block you are breathing in  carbon monoxide fumes stop using the appliances immediately get a expert in to rectify.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2016 8:06 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Have these elements be added by neighbours or are them part of the original building design?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
03 Mar 2016 9:07 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi Maria

These Elements are part of the Original Building Design.Fireplaces and chimneys built over 44 years ago.

Nigel

Like 0      
03 Mar 2016 10:09 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I live in a 2 Level Apartment in a 3 Storey Apartment Block on the 1st Floor. I am getting the Fumes from my Neighbours Log Fire next door as well as from an Apartment downstairs on the Ground Floor through an Airvent on the top level of my Apartment . Can anybody advise what the problem could be and how it can be resolved.

Hi Nigel.

Are you sure that the fumes are coming in via your air vent? yes I know pretty easy to check....But

As you said the fireplaces and chimneys are over 44 years old have you considered that these chimneys and flue's are not now a tight fit, I don't know how these are built in Spain but in the UK its like a terracotta tube placed on top of each other, sealed in the joints with cement, which over the years basically wears out / falls out,  and fumes enter the fabric of the building, and rooms, through these gaps.

Believe it or not one of the biggest builders in the UK some years ago built many houses with a chimney flue leaking, short of pulling the end of the house down it was a nightmare to cure, until one of my friends came up with a very simple idea on how to fix them with no dismantling at all, it worked and cured the problem 100%. It even worked on a straight brick built old chimney.

Is it possible to seal of the air vent and slightly open a near by window to check if the fumes still come in, if so it's most likely from outside chimneys, if not then it would seem to be from somewhere else.

Just a thought.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2016 2:40 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

There are of course legal actions for that. I would need pictures for being more clear on how to proceed. Please feel free to send them to my email

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
19 Mar 2016 10:57 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Legal action costs money and may be inconclusive. If the miscreant has no money you are unlikely to get your costs back win or loose.

I had your problem, I moved. Cost a bit, but then we could have paid a lot in legal fees got nowhere and still had the same neighbours and smoke.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2016 12:31 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I recently put a woodburner in a UK house - there was already a fireplace, but the woodburner needed a flue seated and sealed into the top of it. My builder just dropped a new flexible stainless steel flue down the chimney and terminated it at each end  - it took an hour. 

This message was last edited by GuyT on 20/03/2016.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2016 5:54 PM by Yesser Star rating. 66 posts Send private message

The woodburners need to be fitted by a registered installer in Scotland..

You also need to fit a CO2 detector as per manufactuers instructions and the battery needs to be checked weekly..

The flue has to be Installed correctly and sealed .. I installed my own woodburner in my home here in Aberdeen but I'm a registered gas eng.they are a great addition to any home that can have one.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Bank repossession on Mar Menor - 11 posts
Coming Soon, Some Questions Perhaps You Might Answer? - 12 posts
current residency, potential brexit and health care - 4 posts
Mortgage gift from parents - taxable in Spain? - 6 posts
These banks are having a laugh - 2 posts
Info re new letting regs in Andalucia - 7 posts
Looking for Legal translator or Lawyer - 0 posts
Spanish Lawyers - 1 posts
Pro's and con's for leasing cars in Spain - 2 posts
where to buy? - 45 posts
Estate agents, Good or Bad? - 18 posts
Purchasing bank repossessed penthouse - 10 posts
Almoradi - 3 posts
Buying or selling a a car - 2 posts
The varying costs of living in Spanish cities - 0 posts
Moving to Alicante - 1 posts
Missed calls in the UK from a Spanish number - 5 posts
Where do agents get there price from. - 12 posts
driving our (Legal) Spanish car to the UK - 47 posts
Hacienda Del Alamo - Do villa's rent well & is there still a fly problem? - 7 posts
Looking to buy in Torrox - 0 posts
Purchase Tax - 0 posts
How do we get 'approved' to be able to post links in forum posts? - 3 posts
Sarah - 2 posts
Is there Spanish Law about TV aerials in Communities - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x