Castellon airport - car hire

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Sep 2015 6:43 PM by rogermarionc Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

We have had flights booked for end of September from Bristol to Castellon - having been travelling for over a decade to Reus, Valencia or Barcelona to get to our house near Benicarlo.  So, Ryanair cease all flights to Valencia, and only fly to Reus from Stansted so in good faith we book 2 flights our on 27th Sept., going back 18th October.  I have just had the MOST unhelpful e mail from Ryanair in response to mine - there appear to be no car hire companies at the airport.  They suggest that I telephone the airport, but cannot provide me with a number.  What chaos.  Is any one else experiencing the same problem?  Even to go into Castellon itself to pick up a car (which would require some form of transport) the hire companies are closed on Sundays.  Oh what a mess.  Anyone got any helpful suggestions?

Like 0      
03 Sep 2015 7:47 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

The airport has a website which is aerocas.com which itself doesn't even seem to be up and running properly but at the top of the page it says 'contacto'. You can try asking them about transport from the airport or car hire. I think when Ryanair start flying from Castellón they will be the first company to ever fly from there so at the moment the airport still isn't open. The worse thing is that the airport is in the middle of nowhere so unless there are taxis waiting at the airport when you arrive, I don't know what you'll do. Maybe bus or train to Valencia from Castellón could be the option to get a car on Sunday. It's not a great situation to be unfortunately, I hope you find a solution.

Like 0      
03 Sep 2015 8:43 PM by rogermarionc Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thank you for that information - I will try contacting the airport over the next few days.  The first flight does not go out until 17th September, so it gives us a bit of time.

Like 0      
04 Sep 2015 2:14 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

There was an article in The Times on Saturday 22 Aug about Costa Azahar and the new airport headed "Welcome to the Costa that the Spanish keep to themselves". It said car hire at Castellon de  la Plana airport can be booked through Carrentals.co.uk.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
04 Sep 2015 4:50 PM by rogermarionc Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thank you very much - I will try them now and let you know how I have got on.

Like 0      
04 Sep 2015 6:28 PM by rogermarionc Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Unfortunately, no luck - there is no availability probably because it is a Sunday. I just cannot believe that Ryanair would not ensure that car hire was in place for Sunday flights - thank you again for trying.  I might put pen to paper and write to The Times.

Like 0      
04 Sep 2015 6:43 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

I find it difficult to believe any company would schedule commercial flights to an airport which has no car hire facilities but then again this is Ryanair and Comunitat Valenciana....a partnership made in hell.

I hope you get fixed up one way or the other and please do let us know how you get on. If I see any info or anything in the local news regarding the airport I'll reply on this thread.

Like 0      
04 Sep 2015 7:46 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I think it is Sundy thats the problem I had done a search earlier in the week for some friends and there was a lot of availability.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
04 Sep 2015 10:02 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

if Ryanair is the only airline flying in here

and flights land on a Sunday, it's inconceivable the car hire companies aren't operating when they can get a fare.

I think you should consider whether this flight will actually happen

sorry to be so depressing

Like 0      
05 Sep 2015 12:33 PM by paulie558 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Malco rentacar are taking bookings

Might be worth sending them an email,rather than using the website to book as I have an offer of free excess insurance included.

http://www.malcorentacar.com/en/

This message was last edited by paulie558 on 05/09/2015.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2015 6:19 PM by Pauline366 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi there, we have been in panic mode too!

We have a house in Sant Mateu and will take our first flight to Castellon in four weeks time. I have tried so many ways to find out about car hire companies. As you're probably aware Ryanair fell out with Hertz so they don't have any car hire anywhere at the moment. The website'Catalonia Valencia' have just informed me that a company called MALCO are now providing car hire from inside Castellon airport. 

Hope this helps you

Pauline Barnes

Like 0      
20 Oct 2015 9:43 PM by rogermarionc Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thank you everyone who posted on this.  We used Malco - they were very efficient, although very expensive and on our return, we found that they had taken the £200 deposit from our card on the day we arrived and it can now take up to 25 days to be returned to us.  When we arrived at the airport to come home last Sunday, we found that Goldcar had now opened up in the airport so at least there are now two options. 

The airport itself is beautiful - plenty of seating, polite staff - even going through security was a pleasurable experience.  Unfortunately, we were diverted to Valencia for our return flight due to "fog" - the airport is built quite high up in the mountains and we wonder if this may be a recurring problem in the months to come.  Ryanair handled the situation pretty efficiently - they organised buses to get us to Valencia airport and it ended up with us being delayed for around 3 hours - it could have been so much worse.  I would love to use this airport again in the future, but will be keeping a watchful eye on whether other flights are affected by adverse weather.

Like 1      
20 Oct 2015 10:05 PM by paulie558 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi.Like you say,malco were expensive,but included scdw,car we had was brand new.Deposit was back on card a couple of days after return.Well pleased with car hire and airport,although very basic facilites at present.Gold car are one to be avoided,loads of horror stories out there about them.

Like 0      
20 Oct 2015 10:51 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

rogermarionc

Thanks for letting us know how things turned out and I'm pleased to hear that it turned out okay (apart from the fog). If Ryanair start using Castellón as an alternative to València I might need to start taking trips up there myself. Also good to hear that Ryanair were efficient too, you don't hear that very often.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2015 10:05 AM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

Typical! We have booked for Castellon airport but found the car hire too expensive, so booked another flight to Reus instead. At the time of booking the other flight to Reus the car hire and flight came in cheaper than the Malco car hire, so decided to just not use the flights to Castellon. Admittedly the flight times from Stansted for Reus were better, which meant we could use the train to Stansted and not book the (expensive) parking, but good to know that Goldcar are now at Castellon. Just checked the car hire with DYS for our original dates and they are much cheaper than Malco, so perhaps Malco will reduce their prices. Interesting on the Malco site there is an option for you to share your car hire with another hirer! 

Like 0      
21 Oct 2015 7:50 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hirecarsinspain offer 3 companies from Castellon now. Sometimes cheaper to book via an agent, than direct, expecially an English speaking one.

Like 1      
02 Jun 2018 12:32 AM by lindenm Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

You can now use car rental service directly from Castellon Airport website.

This message was last edited by lindenm on 02/06/2018.

Like 0      
07 May 2019 11:42 AM by apuertea Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 5/8/2019 1:22:00 PM.

Like 0      
08 May 2019 10:21 AM by apuertea Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules - SPAM**

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 5/8/2019 1:21:00 PM.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How much less to offer on asking price '%' ... - 23 posts
Community President Expenses - 4 posts
Help with redemption please :) - 1 posts
president - 0 posts
Good Place To Rent Costa Calida Area - 27 posts
problems with headphones - 0 posts
Hoja de Reclamación - 6 posts
Smart meters - 4 posts
Vaccinations for a visit to China - 1 posts
What's it like to live full-time in the region of Playa Flameca? - 32 posts
re- locating to spain - 1 posts
DENUNCIAS BY OWNERS LETTING ‘ILLEGALLY’ - 24 posts
Solvia Bank Mortgage - 0 posts
What are the 3 things you would change - 1 posts
What would I do differently - 1 posts
sewing machines - 0 posts
Parking on the street for Free all day / night in Extramurs, Valencia? - 1 posts
Some tools with which to learn Basic Spanish - 2 posts
Uk Driving license taken by police - 6 posts
bank fees for mortgage - 19 posts
charges on property - 11 posts
La Herrada Holiday Home Owners - Beware - 70 posts
LONG - MID TERM RENTAL JAN - MAR 2016 - 2 posts
Bus Travel West Along the N340 - 5 posts
Murcia Region Rental Wanted - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x